Menu

Resource suggestions for Vietnam War needed

I am doing something similar with my boys. We are doing the Civil War right now so I have not used these books but they are on my list;

DK Publishing Vietnam War ISBN: 0756611660

10,000 Days of Thunder: A History of the Vietnam War ISBN: 0689862318

America and Vietnam The Elephant and the Tiger Albert Marrin ISBN:

The Vietnam War:How the United States Became Involved,

Code to Keep: The True Story of America's Longest-Held Civilian POW in Vietnam by Ernest C. Brace, John McCain (Foreword by)

Survivors by Zalin Grant

Survivors: Vietnam POWs Tell Their Story by Zalin Grant

Two Souls Indivisible

First Marine Capture in Vietnam: A Biography of Donald G. Cook

We Were Soldiers (movie)

Rescue Dawn (movie)

Not Just for Vietnam but covers several wars,

Finding God In the Shadows: Stories from the Battlefield of Life

I am trying to find a Vietnam pow autobiography I read in my teens and so far no luck. This is just the beginning of a list I have not really fleshed out yet but it might be of some help to you. I have not read all of these but they are on my list to check into. I have seen both the movies and they are good.

Edited by RebeccaC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nzfilmprof

I think I have a good starting film for you! Last year I produced an animated film that touches (often with humour) on the origins, conduct, and historical significance of the Vietnam War, going back to WWII and continuing forward to the present day. I produced it when I found that my own students (here in NZ and Australia) were essentially entirely unaware that this War was ever fought, or for what purpose. It can be found on the http://www.youtube.com site (search there for "Ike and the Dominos"). Additionally, I would be pleased to provide you with a separate file (which would have better audio and video quality than is available via youtube).