Menu

can anyone tell me what they think of CLE electives?

I bought the Auto Fundamentals course and the Small Gas Engines course for our oldest. The courses are very thorough, and in my opinion make for a wonderful elective on the high school transcript. The textbooks aren't written by the CLE people; they're not necessarily Christian books at all, just quality subject area stuff. CLE has support materials to go with the books that they themselves have written. I'd say if there's something there that interests you, go for it. (I sold my Small Gas Engines but still have the Auto Fundamentals -- if you decide you want this particular course, let me know via pm or email.)

HTH,

...a bit late.

My oldest worked through the Small Gas Engines course last year as a 9th grader. My dad and my brother-in-law helped him work through a lot of the hands-on stuff - garbage picking and repairing lawn mowers, completely rebuilding his dirt-bike engine, rebuilding a lawn-tractor engine. He learned a LOT, but this kid LOVES this kind of stuff. It was the candy at the end of his day. Last winter he garbage-picked two snow-blowers, repaired them for under $20, and started his own business. (Suburban neighborhood with tightly packed houses). He and his little brother have about 10 regular customers; when it snows here, they rejoice! :001_smile: They wait for the flakes to stop swirling and then head out the door with their roar and their shovel. They return about two hours later with their pockets stuffed with cash. And our neighbors LOVE them. When my dh and I are out walking with our boys, we have met many of their "customers." They have such nice things to say about our boys' work ethic and friendliness. THAT silly book has indirectly done much to calm a momma's nerves about her oldest son's bright future. This young man is gonna be ALright! :001_smile:

He's working through the Auto Fundamentals course this year (10th grade). He would like to re-build an engine this summer with my dad. (According to the two of them, those greasy "things" sitting in Dad's warehouse on pallets are VERY valuable. Useful stuff! :001_smile:). My dad has a good friend in Canada who has the equipment and the know-how to machine some of the parts for them - he owns and operates a pretty big shop and has spent a lifetime tinkering with race-engines as a hobby. (I have NO idea what I'm talking about as far as the details with this - way out of my league! Just trying to recall the conversations that we've had.) When I've discussed this with my dad, he's suggested that he and ds could motor-home up there together for two weeks to watch and work together in his friend's shop and then return back to my dad's to finish up. So has anyone got a spare $1500+ laying around for parts? Cause I need a grant so this kid can do a "project." :001_smile: Let's just say that this Auto Fundamentals course is looking like a winner here too!

NOT sure what he's going to do next as CLE doesn't have any more courses that go "Vrrrroooom!" But both get a strong thumbs-up here in this house.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Could these electives count as "science" for a non-college bound (or at the most tech college) child?

I hope that's not a dumb question... I'm just starting to look into what high school will involve. Austin loves engines, and I think these would be great for him. I am having a hard time seeing him being able to complete upper level sciences like chemistry and physics.

The text and workbook is from this company. The course outline, answers, and tests are from CLE. Well done and inexpensive.

This is the new edition of the Small Gas Engines Book. Ours was the previous edition; I'm not sure which one CLE is currently selling.

http://www.g-w.com/SelectedBook.aspx?CatID=3&BookID=103#titleheader

Automotive Book is Here:

http://www.g-w.com/SelectedBook.aspx?CatID=0&BookID=88

Hope that helps. These are well-done texts. We don't live near my father; while he wanted to help ds learn what he wanted to know, he is the one who suggested that I pick up a text. That way he would have the foundational knowledge that he needed so that when they had the chance to work together, they could do the hands on stuff without my pop having to stop to explain everything. It's worked like a charm.

Hope the links help you decide.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I don't see why not, electrical wiring, gas engines - these are mechanical sciences to my mind.

I guess it depends on if your state specificly requires some subjects lfor graduation?

As near as I can tell there is just the requirement for 4 sciences, and it says the 4th science can also be used to fulfill the elective requirements. It's all new in Georgia for this year, so hopefully by the time Austin's ready to begin high school work, it will make more sense to me.