Menu

Plea for help - Zumdahl 7th ed Chemistry

My son was sent home, sick, from school this week. I was trying to help him go through the chapter he missed in Chemistry class (Acid/Base) and found the Zumdahl 7th edition text to be the most frustrating book I've ever come across. Looking online, there are videos and other study aids available, but my son doesn't have access to them. I don't know why the school doesn't provide these.

I've ordered the student solution book to be sent to him by expedited mail, but if any of you have access to some Zumdahl 7th edition aids that he could access this weekend, I'd appreciate it!

Can he contact his professor by email or phone? That's the text we used for chemistry when I was that age (probably a different edition though, hehe), and I remember spending a lot of time in that professor's office. ;)

Any college freshman who has taken chem or a nursing student could explain it.

Hi, Sandra--

I wasn't sure if you're talking about Zumdahl's college text for non-science majors, Introductory Chemistry, or what seems to be his first-year-chemistry-for-science-majors-text, Chemistry. I have older editions of both textbooks.

It's been decades since I had chemistry (of various sorts), as a biology major in college (and biochemistry again in grad school), but if you think that I might be able to help in some way, please PM me. I'm thinking of possibly being able to help not in general teaching of the overall concepts (as a lecture might provide), but rather trying to help if he is stuck at a specific problem. There are also real chemistry majors, I believe, on this board; hopefully one of them will see your post.

For more general conceptual help, Jane, in response to your question, has already mentioned the Annenberg site. Additionally, on the board recently Jane also shared what looks to be another promising site for educational videos; like the Annenberg site, this site also has chemistry instruction: http://www.academicearth.org/courses/general-chemistry

Jane,

We just finished watching one of Professor Boering's (what an awful name for a Chem professor). She is wonderful! The lectures are somewhat interactive in that she asks multiple choice questions and the students in the lecture hall "vote" for the right answer -- a graph is displayed with the results. (Like "ask the audience" on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire).

This is an excellent resource. Thank you so much for the link!

(PS: We didn't have to register to view the lecture.)

The Annenberg site was frustrating because of the buffering interruptions. We gave up after about 5 minutes. Also, it seemed too general.

Sandra