Menu

Happiness is conquering stoichiometry!!!

Ds and I are beside ourselves with joy over the fact that we are both understanding Stoichiometry (hey I am impressed that I can even spell it) Ahh the thrill of actually wrapping your brain around a difficult subject. In case you are wondering how we accomplished this

We are using Rainbow Chemistry although I think the way it is covered in the book is very confusing. Yes you can get the correct answers , but you can't really wrap you brain around it. We like to understand what we are learning. Rainbow has provided us with lots of practice problems though. What has helped up the most is watching the Teaching Company Chemistry DVD's Wow can he teach Chemistry. Also I spent several hours writing up teaching notes and presenting these to my son on a big white board. I developed a system for organizing the grams, moles etc information above and below the formula that really helped us to keep things straight. Ds is is acing every problem I have tossed his way. He is thrilled!!!

Karen

Ds and I are beside ourselves with joy over the fact that we are both understanding Stoichiometry

So, what is stoichiometry? If I learned it, I've completely forgotten. Just a basic definition or an easy link to a good site (so many aren't) would be helpful! So, you could say I'm impressed!!!

Thanks. I've bookmarked this. I think I did do this many, many years ago. This explanation is going to come in handy for my dc.

Karin,

That PDF came from a website with loads of valuable handouts. You might want to bookmark the larger site or save anything you think you may need to disk. I have found that some of these educational sites do not live in perpetuity.

So, what is stoichiometry? If I learned it, I've completely forgotten. Just a basic definition or an easy link to a good site (so many aren't) would be helpful! So, you could say I'm impressed!!!

Here is an analogy that the Teaching Co teacher uses for stoichiometry. Say you have a recipe for Raisin Bread

and you go to your pantry and get out all the items in the amount you own(not what you need to just do the recipe) now you figure out what item limits how many times you can make the recipe by the great degree. Say you need 2 eggs and you have 4 so you can only make the recipe twice even though you have lots of the other ingredients. This item is called your limiting reactant. Now you figure how much of the other ingredients you will need to measure to run the recipe per the limiting reactant. Basically this is stoichiometry although it is a bit more complicated when you are converting to grams and moles etc. Really the Teaching Company DVD's have been wonderful for us, he explains things so you understand it (ie you don't just do the formula)

Thank you for the many compliments. Who needs crossword puzzles to keep your mind young, just learn Chemistry unstead :lol:

Karen

Here is an analogy that the Teaching Co teacher uses for stoichiometry.

Karen

Thanks. It's coming back to me now--I don't recall learning the term. We have the Teaching Company CD-Roms, and you've made me even happier that we have them. For next year, though. We bought them based on a recommendation on this forum. No wonder I like this place so much.

Karin,

That PDF came from a website with loads of valuable handouts. You might want to bookmark the larger site or save anything you think you may need to disk. I have found that some of these educational sites do not live in perpetuity.

Thanks--I've bookmarked it in 2 places, but am now restricting my computer time to 30-45 minutes per day total, so I'll go back and save things on another day. Today is a WTM forum day.

Thanks--I've bookmarked it in 2 places, but am now restricting my computer time to 30-45 minutes per day total, so I'll go back and save things on another day. Today is a WTM forum day.

You are wise to restrict your computer time. I have been thinking about how much more I would get accomplished if I did so.

Best,

Jane