Menu

What is Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra equal to?

I found a used copy of Lial's Beginning and Intermediate Algebra (2nd edition for $2, with solutions manual, no kidding). I'm just wondering what this would be the equivilant of in "regular math speak". Algebra I and Algebra II? It looks like it covers more than a regular Algebra I text, but I can't tell if it would cover enough for Algebra II as well.

That text was designed as a 'review' text (1 semester at a CC) for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. The text was supposed to stream-line the concepts to reduce 'overlap'. The problem is/was that many concepts naturally overlap...to teach all of concept 'A' you need to know some of concept 'B' and to advance in concept 'B' you need to really know concept 'A'. Regular Algebra 1 texts teach some of concept 'A' and some of concept 'B'--then the Algebra 2 text will review those and then EXPAND them--introducing concept 'C' along the way!

I guess to answer your question --that text contains both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 material--but it is not a true 'double text'. Lial's Pre-Calc is a true 'double' text as it is their College Algebra and Trigonometry texts under one cover.

Your text would be a great 'reference' or 'review' text. It could be used as both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2--but it would not contain enough practice for me---and the authors do not recommend using it as the 'sole' Algebra program for a student--it was written as an intentional review.

Hope this ramble makes some sense!

I think you found a terriffic deal.

Jann-

I just want to take a second to say how absolutely helpful your posts on Lial's math have been to me. I used to be very active on these boards but for the last couple years have just searched for specific questions I have. Your posts on Lial's made a huge difference in my son's math education. Thank you for taking the time to post such helpful information.

Joy!

Lisa