Menu

Parents of AP Test-Takers

Have you found a place for your child to take their AP Test in May?

Yesterday I confirmed with my local private school for DS to take his AP tests with their kids. Unfortunately the new AP Coordinator isn't sure if they will be doing AP testing in May, or which tests they will be offering, ---this is a college-prep private school too. She told me to call back at the end of March. MARCH!!! I had visions of being told then that it was too late, the tests were ordered, or they weren't offering the tests he needed......

I made a few more phone calls to other private schools. Found one that wasn't sure they would have a seat for DS. Others who aren't offering all 5 tests he is taking and DS wants one school to go to. Finally found one that was very receptive. DS just has to meet their dress code of dress pants, white shirt and tie or a nice golf shirt. He's going to love that one. I think the search will continue. (Our public school is NOT receptive to hs'ers and they only offer only 2 of the 5 tests he needs to take.)

Have you run into any issues with lining up a test center for your child's AP test?

Carole

Hello Carole,

Well, I've been hunting around for a location for my teen to take an AP test (Statistics ... ahem).

A local private school seems receptive. I'd done a little research and determined that they offered the AP Statistics exam last year. However, I've been left in that "We'll get back to you" limbo. I've made a notation in my date book to call them back in two weeks. I'd be happy to stop by and pay my money for the peace of mind of having a location confirmed.

I also contacted the College Board to ask what schools might be offering the exam. They gave me the name of a public school. I'm holding that one in reserve in case this private school does not pan out.

Regards,

Kareni

Last year our local public high school agreed to let ds take his three APs there. They were ok to work with but very disorganized. They changed the time (to a couple of hours later, fortunately) of one of the exams and didn't even call us! I could go on and on, but my advice is to avoid schools that do the IB program. The IB tests are the same weeks in May as the APs, and it seemed too much for our school to deal with (or maybe it was just them). Also, if the school offers IB, they may be reluctant to test for APs in similar subject areas.

After calling around early in the school year to register my dd for the PSAT, I came across a gem of a public high school in the next county. The guidance counselors have been wonderful to work with! They call me back within a day, remember what I've said, and are very nice. My dd is all set to take her three tests in May.

I wouldn't bother with schools that seem reluctant to deal with you. Try to find someone who you enjoy dealing with, especially if you have younger children who may take APs as well. BTW, they can still administer tests for subjects in which they don't offer courses. That's what the hs is doing for my daughter. She will be the only student taking at least one of her tests.

HTH,

GardenMom

After calling around early in the school year to register my dd for the PSAT, I came across a gem of a public high school in the next county. The guidance counselors have been wonderful to work with! They call me back within a day, remember what I've said, and are very nice.

You gave me an idea. I should call the PS in the next town over, or a few towns over. I did do that last year but found that their AP courses were in name only and without tests. I should try that route again.

BTW, they can still administer tests for subjects in which they don't offer courses. That's what the hs is doing for my daughter. She will be the only student taking at least one of her tests.

I offered $ to the one private school to administer the tests but they weren't interested. I have heard that other places are receptive to this. Glad it worked for you.

Carole

We have had problems with AP tests.

The best solution -- find a lovely private school that is close and only take AP tests in the subjects they offer the exams in!

If they don't offer the exams, then life gets really interesting.....Because of the law in VA requiring public high schools to offer AP exams, we managed to get HSLDA involved and it all ended up happily, but that was a difficult process.

Our youngest will be a HUGE challenge with AP exams -- as a diabetic, she won't be able to get the accomodations she needs through the private school, so we will have to deal exclusively with the public high school. She's in 7th and we are starting to pray about that nasty process now! :001_huh:

Best wishes to all. A good AP score is a useful thing to have, and it's worth the hassle of trying to arrange the tests.

Well, I've been hunting around for a location for my teen to take an AP test (Statistics ... ahem).

A local private school seems receptive. I'd done a little research and determined that they offered the AP Statistics exam last year. However, I've been left in that "We'll get back to you" limbo. I've made a notation in my date book to call them back in two weeks. I'd be happy to stop by and pay my money for the peace of mind of having a location confirmed.

Oh no! A stress that you really don't need. Any other private schools around?

Here's a site that might help, type in your state, subject, and find the schools who are approved

https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/index.php

Edited by Blue Hen
added website.

Have you found a place for your child to take their AP Test in May?

Yes, the very accommodating local ps where she took the PSAT in October. They have bent over backwards and I couldn't ask for anything better. The only thing was they wanted to know in January which ones she wanted to take. Check. I have to bring the payment to the school before May. Double check. Easy :)

I made a few more phone calls to other private schools. Found one that wasn't sure they would have a seat for DS. Others who aren't offering all 5 tests he is taking and DS wants one school to go to. Finally found one that was very receptive. DS just has to meet their dress code of dress pants, white shirt and tie or a nice golf shirt. He's going to love that one. I think the search will continue.

Honestly? I would love this environment. Don't know whether your son can dig something out of his closet that would suit (a polo shirt maybe?) but it sounds like it would be an environment that wants the students to succeed.

I would too but DS asked me to please find him an alternative school. I visited https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/index.php and found a few more schools to call tomorrow.

Got it :) Didn't he have construction outside his window during the PSAT? I hope you find a friendlier atmosphere where you feel like the staff/teachers are on your team :)

Here's a site that might help, type in your state, subject, and find the schools who are approved

https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/index.php

Carole,

Thanks for that site; I knew it existed but couldn't find it myself. According to the site, there are two locations in my area. Both of which I'd stumbled on myself. Wish me luck! And good luck to you, too!

Regards,

Kareni

You have great memory! Yes that was him. When he got his PSAT results back he went through his incorrect answers and I heard him say repeatedly -- oh, yea, that was when the saw started. or Oh, That nail hammer! I haven't even called 'that' private school!

Nah, it just took me a week to pick my jaw up off the floor. I'm just amazed at your story and the one where the students took the PSAT in the gym, using the row behind them as a desk! :eek:

Odd question -- have any of you had success having your child take AP exams through the public schools but NOT in your district?

In VA we were basically told that our testing issue was our district's problem, so we are dependent on private schools and our local district.

But it seems as though districts should be able to offer AP exams to anybody since they ARE public schools and are heavily funded both by the state and the federal governments.

So any success signing kids up for out-of-district exmas?

dd will be taking one at the local high school, the remaining 2 at the private school she tested at last year.

I figure the split site testing will give us a chance to try out the public school -- it's the first test -- and if it's a good experience plan to use it more in the future. We already know that the private school is a good match but they don't offer all the tests we want.

Next year may problematic though dd wants to take both Biology and Music Theory so she'd have to take one on a late testing date -- not sure how commonly those are available. Anyone have any experience with this.

The AP course ledger is useful only to a limited extent as many schools that offer the exams do not seem to have approved courses, at least here in MA.

~Moira

Odd question -- have any of you had success having your child take AP exams through the public schools but NOT in your district?

So any success signing kids up for out-of-district exmas?

Yes, the school that's in the next county is not in our district. There is only one Public HS in our district (we're in a rural area), and I didn't care to deal with them again. The schools around here seem very aware of the VA law that says they must accommodate us.

Next year may problematic though dd wants to take both Biology and Music Theory so she'd have to take one on a late testing date -- not sure how commonly those are available. Anyone have any experience with this.

Last year ds took the Calculus AB test late because the HS had an IB test on the regular date. It was no problem. I don't believe taking the test later affects when the scores are mailed as we seemed to get ours when everyone else did last year.

Be prepared for the scores to come in mid-July. They came just in time for ds's college orientation. You can call at the end of June and get the scores if you pay extra (I couldn't stand it, but we waited).

GardenMom

I ended up calling my local PS -- the person is new to being the AP coordinator and while she was receptive to having DS come to the District Office to take the tests with her students, she also mentioned "I hope I don't get my hands slapped for having a hs'er come in and take these tests." :blink: She asked several times if we lived in district also. I don't know what she would have said if I had replied no.

I also called a few other schools. One school's AP coordinator told me that the AP tests are only given at the local college. :w00t:

The high school up the road from us but in a different district was very receptive to having DS come in. The woman was so nice to chat with too. DS is fine with taking the tests there so that's what we'll do. So he won't have to wear a dress shirt and tie while he is taking these tests. :hurray:

Best of luck in everyones search.

Carole

which may or may not be of help to you...

The AP site has a list of schools administering the exams, searchable by city and state. That list can be further narrowed to schools offering the specific exam you are looking for. Additionally, if you call AP services, you can give them a zip code or zip code range and have them query the system for schools which have offered to make their information available and to host guest students from outside the school. The AP will give you the AP coordinator's name and contact phone number for any school which has volunteered to serve in that manner. That is not to say that *only* those schools will agree to have your student take an exam there, but if they have volunteered, it is likely that they would be willing to host your student.

That's all I've got for you...

The AP course ledger is useful only to a limited extent as many schools that offer the exams do not seem to have approved courses, at least here in MA.

I believe the Course Ledger only reflects those courses that were approved by a certain date. So the course may be approved, but not in the Ledger. That's what I understand, but I've got to call CB on another question Monday and will ask this one.

HTH,

Lisa

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again --- scheduling your DC's AP exam. I was looking back over this thread from last year and thought I would bring it forward again. IMO, there's some great information in here --- websites and what to look for in a testing center.

This year DS's AP exams are a piece of cake to schedule. At the local college fair in October we ran into the AP Coordinator we worked with last year. She immediately recognized DS. One of her first questions was how many AP tests DS would be taking in May and a request that I contact her in February via email with the test list. The email is going out to her tomorrow morning. She also didn't flinch one bit when he ran through his list. I know her school doesn't offer courses in 5 of the 7 tests he is taking but she already assured me that she will administer those tests to him.

Good luck everyone!

Carole :)

Edited by Blue Hen

Yay for you and ds Carole! :) Sounds like your PSAT experience is ancient history!

I just dropped off my check to the local high school last week for dd's APs. They'll "bubble" in the forms mid-April so I just need for her to go by there one of those 3 days. They've always been so supportive and encouraging.

Testing this year is more complicated with 2 dd's and 6 AP's.

So far I've found locations for 3 of the 6.

I decided to wait into February -- which has snuck up on me, now -- before contacting the next school district over. It, apparently (according to the AP audited course list), offers those 3 as AP. So keep your fingers crossed.

It seems that January is just too early for the AP coordinators to know what the situation will be in May.

~Moira

My friend's son took the PSAT last year. She worked with a new counselor to figure out the details. So, this year, she called him up and just matter-of-fact said, "You remember us from last year? Well, this year we are going to be taking the AP with 3 other students."

No problem.

We didn't bother to share that we think we are the first in this district to take AP tests as homeschoolers.

Holly