Menu

Homeschooling my husband:)

My dh has decided to go to college. He is almost 48 and has never been to college. He has asked me to come up with lessons to prepare him to take the THEA. We have until August to study. I would like him to score well enough that he doesn't have to take remedial classes. I have my B.S. and did really well in college so I know I can help him. I need help with some choices.

I already have VT Algebra so we will use that. I think if we do a lesson everyday we can get through the majority of the Algebra program before he takes the test.

Grammar:

There are 3 I'm trying to choose between:

Easy Grammar Plus

Analytical Grammar

Jensen's Grammar and Jensen's Punctuation

If we do EG or AG would we still need Jensen's Punctuation or do they cover that?

Writing:

Jensen's Format Writing

Wordsmith Craftsman

Vocabulary:

Jensen's Vocabulary

Which would you pick or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

How cool! I wish your husband the very best and you, too, as you embark on a new adventure!

FWIW, I would not use Jensen's Grammar with an adult. He would find it rather juvenile, I think. As far as punctuation, we've used Jensen's but it really is kind of overkill. Maybe there is something out there like Keys to... for punctuation.

For vocabulary I would suggest Vocabulary for the College Bound Student. In one volume he would have the basic skills met. Other programs use multiple books over multiple grades and you don't have time for that.

But, I'm wondering if he will really need such structured, in depth study. Could he possibly take some sort of assessment now to discover weaknesses he might have and then plan a study strategy? You may find that he does just fine.

Best wishes to both of you on this journey!

I'm not familiar with the THEA test and your husband's background, but I'm wondering if going through an Algebra program all over again is the best use of his time. Once you identify which math skills he'll need to do well on the exam, you might want to look at ALEKS (http://www.aleks.com/). It's an on-line program that gives the student a placement test and then has them only work in areas where they need the practice. If he already has some of the math skills he'll need, then this might be an efficient way to work only on the weak areas.

HTH,

Brenda

I can't really help, but I think it's great y'all are working together on this.

My hubby has talked about going back to school also (and it's a renewed thought with the lay-off in June). However, hubby took the Accuplacer a few years ago and it had him needing to take all but one remedial course, basically starting at the beginning for everything.

I've been trying to figure out how we could do it in less than the 1.5-2 years the college would take IF he could go to Reading, Writing and Math every semester. Math I feel good about, but I'm not so sure with the other stuff.

One option for your hubby would be to have him take the test now as a baseline. That way you know what you're working from and to.

Well my idea is that I don't just want the test passed. I want him to have a good foundation. He wants to go into something medical and so I don't want him struggling through everything. I've read some of his writing from a little class that we took together one time and he needs work on writing a coherent paper. It was a Bible class and while he is an awesome Bible teacher it doesn't come out quite right on paper so we need to fix that. Also I want him to be able to breeze through College Algebra. I just don't want him to get discouraged right from the beginning. Since we have time I think we could get it done. I just looked at the price of Analytical grammar and I didn't realize that it was $100. I don't know if we can afford that. Also the THEA is only a placement test. The jr college has open enrollment and so they don't turn people away. I will be also getting a THEA prep book so we can see where he is at. My friend's dh had to take all the remedial classes. He had dropped out of school in 8th and went back and got a degree in physics. It took him 8 yrs though. So I'm trying to avoid all those extra classes in order to save time and money.

I second the suggestion for ALEKS--you could start with the free trial and use that to see where he is.

Most adults can go at a faster pace--so Video Text may be PAINFULLY slow for him... his choice.

Here is a great FREE site for grammar/puncutation. It is a complete course (no diagramming). englishgrammar101.com

There will/should be study guides available for his entrance test. Ask at the center where he will be testing.

I went back to University three years ago (I was just about 30). I wouldn't worry about remedial classes. I would advise him to start at the community college level. It will be an easier adjustment and he will get more help when he needs it. Plus, it's a lot less cost and you won't have to do any testing. The University will look at those college scores and not just have an old High School Transcript.

I had to take a lower level Math class even though I did well in High School. I think it was better just to be able to practice in that class. I was amazed at how fast I learned everything. My mind works so much better now that I'm not worried about dating and my hormones have calmed down. It is possible to CLEP classes as well. Your University won't give you credit for the classes, but they might let you advance to the higher course.

I eventually want to become a Librarian. My counselor told me about a local woman who became a Librarian in her 60's. She had waited for her children to grow up before going back to school. She started a museum library in a local town for a former internment camp. I always hold that story close to my heart.

Let your husband know that he can do it and will be surprised to find other adults returning to higher education.

at the age of 38 i started taking community college courses in the hopes of getting in the nursing program. i took our placement test (compass) and did great in english but not so good in math. i had to take math 80 (no college credit) but that course did me a world of good. i did no prep work before taking the test but 4 yrs later i have an associates in nursing. i did my 1 1/2 yrs of pre-reqs and then took extra classes that i would need if i got accepted in a 4 yr nursing program. have you looked into the book list for what a remedial english course calls for? most of the classes at our cc use Holt's for english. what is he looking into getting into? nursing, respiratory, MLT? most medical courses are science heavy and require basic english and math. i think statistics was required for nursing. will he need to take a SAT or ACT to get into the program he wants? i have heard Jensen's is great for sat/act prep (never used it myself). i would check into what he wants to do and see how many english/math courses he actually needs. HTH and good luck to him! i think it's wonderful he has this goal.

Possibly The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation would be helpful. You can take a look inside on Amazon; the ISBN is 978-0-470-22268-3.

For vocabulary you might want to look at Word Power Made Easy, ISBN 0-671-74190-X. Amazon's "Look Inside" feature is also available on this one.

Of the programs you listed, I suggest:

Analytical Grammar - It covers everything that you need including basic punctuations. I think that I figured out that if he does a lesson a day, (daunting but doable) he could finish it in time.

Jensen's Format writing - Not very exciting. It covers the basics that he would need to know in a simple easy formula.

I agree with pp suggestions of Vocabulary for the College Bound student.

Good luck to both you and your husband on this.