Menu

Math-U-See vs Saxon?

Jzsnow

Could you have picked more different programs to like? :)

I have used both and liked both. I'm currently using MUS in a situation where the students have learning disabilities and it is a great program. The videos are great in teaching the teacher (or the student) in how to teach the program to the student. The students are expected to really learn the processes before a new topic is introduced. It doesn't follow a traditional scope and sequence which may be an issue if you plan on sending them to school in a year or two. Most of the time though that isn't a problem.

Probably my biggest issue with SAxon is that it is very verbal, IOW, there is a lot of language in it. That can be a very good thing but for some students, who struggle with language, it isn't so good. Plus some students don't do well without using a more mastery type program.

Good luck in choosing. They are both good programs.

They are both lovely and very different programs. I vote to use them both! They would compliment each other nicely.

Just look at Saxon as either exposure or review. Don't worry about the tests in Saxon. Just keep moving through the book.

View MUS as mastery. Use the program exactly as designed.

This way your dc will get plenty of practice and plenty of understanding.:D

HTH-

Mandy

I presently use Math U See with my boys. Imho, I don't think that Saxon (and I am speaking of K-7/6) is as logical in their sequence. Some dc can handle the jumping around, but that was too much for 2 out of 3 of my ds's. The oldest didn't mind (he used Saxon for a few years) and could keep up with the pace, but I think he may have preferred MUS if given the chance. The middle two are thriving with MUS.

What I like about MUS...

• no fluff
  • uncluttered pages
  • logical
  • sequential
  • true mastery
  • dvds
  • light teacher prep
  • workbook (lessens amount of physical writing)
  • support (Mr. Demme, MUS and Yahoo forums, WTM board

They are both lovely and very different programs. I vote to use them both! They would compliment each other nicely.

Just look at Saxon as either exposure or review. Don't worry about the tests in Saxon. Just keep moving through the book.

View MUS as mastery. Use the program exactly as designed.

I agree! They are a nice compliment of each other. They really fill each others weaknesses. We do both! And it's working well.

We use both, MUS for my oldest and Saxon for my younger dd. My oldest daughter could not keep up with Saxon introducing a new topic every day. She needs every bit of practice given to her in MUS, and sometimes more. She is behind grade level in math, and the names of the MUS levels make it easier for her than seeing a number depicting the grade level. My younger daughter has always been able to "get" math. Even when she was young, she would think mathematically in a way my older daughter never did. That being said, we never used MUS until about the third grade level, so I have no opinion of the early years. The Saxon K program was a breeze and we skipped what was too easy for my younger daughter. It may seem wordy, but it is helpful if you need someone to tell you what to teach. I pretty much skipped the teacher stuff. I think at this level, either program would be fine, maybe do the cheaper one. Then, as your child gets older and you have a better understanding of what type of learner he is, you can adjust as necessary. I will add that as a former kindergarten teacher, I love the manipulatives in Saxon. The blocks in MUS would, I think, be boring to a young child if that is all you used. We already had pattern blocks, base ten blocks, and many of the things Saxon requires. They make great learning toys, too!

Hope that's helpful.

I love Saxon. We started in K (with Level 1) with my oldest and I've never looked at another program (although once they are in Saxon 2 I start to add in Singapore's Challenging Word Problems).

I like the constant review in Saxon. It drives some people nuts. I like the scripted manuals in the younger years. They drive some people nuts. I like that it includes plenty of practice problems (if the child needs them). That drives some people nuts.

Good luck!