Menu

How to lower a fever without meds?

A slightly warm bath. Not cool, and a bit warmer than tepid. If he's young enough, some toys and bubbles would help him stay in the tub longer. And try to get fluids in him...I found that giving liquids in a cup with a straw (a straw!!! remember the excitement?! LOL) would make them drink twice as much when they were young.

Good luck!

Ria

I'm sorry to hear he's not feeling well. Do you have the homeopathic Belladonna? I've had great success with that for making a fever more bearable. Have you tried doing a google search on bringing down a fever naturally? I know I've done that in the past and have found a wealth of information. On top of the tepid bath, another one that can work is to put cool, wet, cotton socks on, then layer on top with warm, wool ones.

Hope he feels better soon.

We use popcicles in addition to coolish cloths, et c. Too cool and it can hurt.

The popcicle is cold and soothing and yummy enough to keep a kid interested even if he isn't well.

It's just awful to have a feverish kid; they feel so awful and it's so hard to just sit by and watch and not be able to do much of anything. I just try to remember that it's her body fighting the illness: a fever is the body's medicine, in a way. Too high is too high, of course, but if you're carefully watching and it doesn't get too high, it will do it's work.

I make popcicles with juice or buy the ones with jokes on the stick. Somehow the jokes make my girl feel a little better. Tons of love and a cool cloth . . . it will be better soon.

Please be careful when using homeopathic remedies. Belladonna is a natural anticholinergic

Belladona:

Allergies

Belladonna should be avoided in people who have had significant reactions to belladonna or anticholinergic drugs, or who are allergic to belladonna or other members of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family such as bell peppers, potatoes, and eggplants. Long-term use of belladonna on the skin can lead to allergic rashes.

Side Effects and Warnings

In smaller doses, belladonna is traditionally thought to be safe, but may cause frequent side effects such as dilated pupils, blushing of the skin, dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, confusion, nervousness, and hallucinations. Based on animal study, belladonna alkaloids may inhibit cognitive function and gastrointestinal motility. High doses can cause death.

In children, death can be caused by a small amount of belladonna. Several reports of accidental belladonna overdose and death are reported. Belladonna overdose can also occur when it is applied to the skin. Belladonna overdose is highly dangerous and should be treated by qualified medical professionals. Because belladonna can slow the movement of food and drugs through the stomach and gut, the side effects may go on long after the belladonna is swallowed. from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-belladonna.html#Safety

My advice: Try reducing the ambient temperature (i.e. turn down the heat). Remove any blankets and let him have just a sheet. No warm or extra clothing, etc. I second the wipe down with tepid washrag, but would avoid rubbing alochol due to potentially drying of the skin and discomfort caused by excessive dry skin. Ice packs to armpits and groin also reduce fever (but are uncomfortable). Chilled drinks &/or popcicles are also good because they not only cool, they replace valuable fluid lost by sweating.

I hope he's feeling better now. My mom always put us in a tepid bath. Generally within a few minutes it was coming down. Keep in mind that sometimes a fever is a good thing. It is the reaction of fighting off an infection. If it continues, I'm sure you'll take him to the doctor to find the source.

My ds has a fever, and he's pretty miserable with the aches and chills, but he can't take any pain relievers/fever reducers. What else could I do to help him feel more comfortable?

Please be careful when using homeopathic remedies. Belladonna is a natural anticholinergic

Belladona:

Allergies

Belladonna should be avoided in people who have had significant reactions to belladonna or anticholinergic drugs, or who are allergic to belladonna or other members of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family such as bell peppers, potatoes, and eggplants. Long-term use of belladonna on the skin can lead to allergic rashes.

Side Effects and Warnings

In smaller doses, belladonna is traditionally thought to be safe, but may cause frequent side effects such as dilated pupils, blushing of the skin, dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, confusion, nervousness, and hallucinations. Based on animal study, belladonna alkaloids may inhibit cognitive function and gastrointestinal motility. High doses can cause death.

In children, death can be caused by a small amount of belladonna. Several reports of accidental belladonna overdose and death are reported. Belladonna overdose can also occur when it is applied to the skin. Belladonna overdose is highly dangerous and should be treated by qualified medical professionals. Because belladonna can slow the movement of food and drugs through the stomach and gut, the side effects may go on long after the belladonna is swallowed. from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-belladonna.html#Safety

My advice: Try reducing the ambient temperature (i.e. turn down the heat). Remove any blankets and let him have just a sheet. No warm or extra clothing, etc. I second the wipe down with tepid washrag, but would avoid rubbing alochol due to potentially drying of the skin and discomfort caused by excessive dry skin. Ice packs to armpits and groin also reduce fever (but are uncomfortable). Chilled drinks &/or popcicles are also good because they not only cool, they replace valuable fluid lost by sweating.

Homeopathic Belladonna does not have any adverse effects and is completely safe. In it's homeopathic form it is diluted to the most minuscule amount compared to the herbal form. The only adverse effect you might have is if you were to take it as a supplement every day for 30 days or more and not under the supervision of a professional homeopath. I just cleared up a recurring ear infection w/a high dose of homeopathic belladonna in my 7 yo dd. I only had to give 2 doses. If Belladonna is the right remedy in the OP's child's case, only a few doses would be required.

http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php

Homeopathic Belladonna does not have any adverse effects and is completely safe. In it's homeopathic form it is diluted to the most minuscule amount compared to the herbal form. The only adverse effect you might have is if you were to take it as a supplement every day for 30 days or more and not under the supervision of a professional homeopath. I just cleared up a recurring ear infection w/a high dose of homeopathic belladonna in my 7 yo dd. I only had to give 2 doses. If Belladonna is the right remedy in the OP's child's case, only a few doses would be required.

http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php

I stand by my advice.

When I worked in Florida I had a patient who told me that when she was growing up in Cuba, her Grandmother used watermelon juice as a natural fever remedy. Don't know if you could find watermelons this time of year, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try it! And I second the fancy cup and straw. Got any of those little umbrellas?

Be sure to keep close tabs on the actual temperature. My dd told me she had a fever but was still playing around and acting normal. When I finally agreed to check it for her, it was 102! I am languishing on the couch if mine is 99, so I found it hard to believe that she could have such a high one and still be functioning normally. (Where did that Terrible Mother of the Year trophy go...?)