What's with the ads?

Photo

need chick flick--clean and wholesome but fun

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Ottakee

Ottakee

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

A group of us are getting together next Friday for a movie and girls night. What movie would you suggest that is a good lighthearted or chick flick movie that is as clean as they can be?

One lady, a single in her 30s, lost her job this week after 11 years. Another lady resigned her position last week. The third had her daughter get injuried at basketball practice and need reconstructive surgery on her face (surgery is Wed.) and the 4th has had other major things going on.

We need something light and funny but as we are conservative we want to keep it clean as well.

Any ideas for us?

#2 lynn

lynn

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5618 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

mama mia, steel magnolias, lake house, fireproof come to mind for a chick flick

bucket list is a good movie not so much a chick flick.

#3 KIN

KIN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Have you seen Bring Up Baby? Not a traditional chick flick, but oh my, we are watching it now and rolling on the floor! It is so funny, wholesome and yet about love. :) It's great!

#4 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3650 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

I'm stuck in the past, but Hitchcock's Rear Window was a favorite at our house last night, and my girls gasped at Grace Kelley's beauty.

#5 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3650 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Have you seen Bring Up Baby? Not a traditional chick flick, but oh my, we are watching it now and rolling on the floor! It is so funny, wholesome and yet about love. :) It's great!

LOL we watched this last week. I am instituting "old movie night" on Friday nights and my girls and I are getting a BIG kick out of the oldies. Bringing up Baby was a stretch because it was in black & white (gasp). But they still liked it.

#6 Remudamom

Remudamom

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10476 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Kate and Leopold. It's wonderful. Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Absolutely clean.

I was very surprised by Enchanted. A kid movie, true, but made me LOL.

#7 Happy

Happy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3328 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Two of my favorites are quirky fun...

Lars and The Real Girl ~ sweet and laugh out loud funny in places. Don't let the blurb about the movie dissuade you. You'll be glad you watched this one. Reaffirms how we need to treat each other. I showed this at a girl's night out at church last summer to rave reviews.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day ~ Charming. A bit of (male) skin at the beginning. Set during the hard times just prior to WWII in England.

#8 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23471 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

The Wedding Planner (Jennifer Lopez), Miss Congeniality, About a Boy (some language, but I didn't find it offensive...maybe because of the English accents, lol), Overboard, A Knight's Tale (some "backal" nudity), Baby Boom.

#9 kalanamak

kalanamak

Geriatric Primipara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16200 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

The original 1959 Lady Killers
A New Leaf

#10 KIN

KIN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Bringing up Baby was a stretch because it was in black & white (gasp). But they still liked it.

I was very surprised, but my boys didn't make one comment about it being in black and white. They were too busy trying to keep up with everything that was happening. :) How old do you think kids should be before watching Alfred Hitchcock? I have never seen any, so I don't want to get it for family movie night until I'm sure it's appropriate.

#11 Happy

Happy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3328 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

I was very surprised, but my boys didn't make one comment about it being in black and white. They were too busy trying to keep up with everything that was happening. :) How old do you think kids should be before watching Alfred Hitchcock? I have never seen any, so I don't want to get it for family movie night until I'm sure it's appropriate.

LOL! I saw some Hitchcock back when they were new...and I was still pretty new myself. I think I saw the birds at about age ten. Awesome movie. Fascinated me and scared the beejeebbers out of me. ;)

#12 Wendi

Wendi

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

"Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow, or "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson - those are two of my favorites.

Or how about "Roman Holiday"? Lots of fun! Have you seen it?

Wendi

#13 EarleneW

EarleneW

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

Maid of Honor, 27 Dresses, You've Got Mail is still my all time favorite, How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days

#14 Garga

Garga

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5348 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Pride and Prejudice--the 2 hour version with Kierra Knightly. Not the 300 hour PBS version.

I've shown Pride and Prej to a few groups of ladies on various Movie Nights and they all loooooved it.

#15 happi duck

happi duck

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4640 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Ever After (PG)
(Drew Barrymore plays Danielle, the kind-hearted tomboy who maintains a generally sweet spirit despite the oppressiveness of her stepmother and two stepsisters.)
Secondhand Lions (PG)
(In this humorous, warm-hearted drama, two eccentric old brothers in rural, 1950s Texas keep sacks of money hidden in their ramshackle barn ...) (both descriptions from Plugged In Online)

#16 Guest_janainaz_*

Guest_janainaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

Kate and Leopold. It's wonderful. Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Absolutely clean.

I was very surprised by Enchanted. A kid movie, true, but made me LOL.

I loved Enchanted! It was so funny - that is a great one.

#17 Claire in NM

Claire in NM

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

While you were sleeping (of course, there is a part in the hospital where the language and gestures make me cringe a bit)...

Claire in NM

#18 Guest_janainaz_*

Guest_janainaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

While you were sleeping (of course, there is a part in the hospital where the language and gestures make me cringe a bit)...

Claire in NM

Ok, well, there's another one! I loved that one, too!

#19 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8525 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

Two of my favorites are quirky fun...

Lars and The Real Girl ~ sweet and laugh out loud funny in places. Don't let the blurb about the movie dissuade you. You'll be glad you watched this one. Reaffirms how we need to treat each other. I showed this at a girl's night out at church last summer to rave reviews.

Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day ~ Charming. A bit of (male) skin at the beginning. Set during the hard times just prior to WWII in England.

"The Magic of Ordinary Days" - I believe came out initially as a Hallmark movie.

#20 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8525 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'm stuck in the past, but Hitchcock's Rear Window was a favorite at our house last night, and my girls gasped at Grace Kelley's beauty.

I still gasp - and I have seen all of her movies many times.

#21 Liz CA

Liz CA

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8525 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

I still gasp - and I have seen all of her movies many times.

More in the same vein: To Catch a Thief, The Birds, High Society, Dial M for Murder.

#22 jcooperetc

jcooperetc

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1772 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

Emma
Persuasion
Sabrina (Harrison Ford version)
Casablanca
Charade
I Was a Male War Bride
Singing In the Rain
Sense and Sensibility
Return to Me
While you Were Sleeping

#23 Ottakee

Ottakee

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

I will have to check the video store to see what ones they have. Thanks for the ideas.

#24 Guest_Virginia Dawn_*

Guest_Virginia Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

How to Marry a Millionaire with Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe- Absolutely hilarious, absolutely clean.

#25 katemary63

katemary63

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

Love Love Love Kate and Leopold. Enchanted is also excellent and fun. Does anybody remember The Princess Bride - one of our favorite FUNNY movies!

What's with the ads?