Menu

Has anyone read the book

and I remember a few more specifics from the interview.

He challenges the willy nilly use of the word "fascist" as it is used today.

The author points out the historical atmosphere in places like Germany and Italy prior to the wide spread acceptance of fascism. He points out the general popularity of Moussolini and Hitler in the early days.

I believe the gist of the book is that fascism sneaks in with smiley face, not as a ruthless, lunatic leader. He points out that fascism starts with a little governmental control here, a little there, and then marchs towards other losses of freedoms. Hitler was a vegetarian with a strong push to revise the nutritional practices of the nation (I never knew that!). People thought that was fairly benign so they allowed the government to control certain dietary practices.

I admit I didn't learn much about the conditions of the countries prior to them ushering in fascism, so I think it will be a good read. That and my preceding notion that the word "fascist" is indeed used too...well...um...liberally. :rolleyes:

Jo