Menu

Paperbackswap VS. Bookmooch

So what are the pros and cons of these in comparison to another? I am on PBS but have trouble getting the books I want. Is Bookmooch any better as far as book availability? I have over 200 books listed on PBS, basically I am trying to figure out if it's worth switching over.

I have found far more titles through Bookmooch, so many that I stopped using Paperback Swap. Now, though, I've reached a point where even Bookmooch doesn't have what I'm looking for...but I've received over 50 books from them. Not too bad! I've had a lot of luck with people wanting my teacher resource books from my teaching days.

It goes in cycles...I may list more on Paperback swap and see what happens. It doesn't hurt to use both.

I use both sites. I like PBS more than Bookmooch, but I have had good success on both. I list all of my books on both, so I have to remember to remove a book that is requested from me on the other site.

Bookmooch does have some advantages. You get your credit when a book is requested from you and you don't have to wait for it to be received by the requestor like on PBS. You get 1/10th credit for each book you list and for each feedback you give on books that you receive. But you will lose 1/10th credit for any books you remove from your inventory, ie: when you swap it on another site and have to remove it from Bookmooch.

PBS is great in many ways. I like the fact that you can print a mailing label and handle you postage through PBS. You don't get that with BM. They have a great searching tool as well.

Both sites are free at this time, so I would use both of them if you have the time to keep up with both lists.

I get more requests on Bookmooch (so I have like 14 credits over there), but have more luck on HTF books at PBS (so I keep having to buy credits there).

I like Bookmooch better for just swapping. (Like, spend my credits on Magic Treehouse Books which I will wind up swapping out again later).

I like that I can list books on Bookmooch which would be unpostable on PBS, just make a note of the condition to warn the moocher.

Honestly, I put my list on both sites, (after waiting a few days to make sure it's not a wishlisted book I'm putting up), then quickly delete any books that are ordered from the other site.

I get more requests on Bookmooch (so I have like 14 credits over there), but have more luck on HTF books at PBS (so I keep having to buy credits there).

I like Bookmooch better for just swapping. (Like, spend my credits on Magic Treehouse Books which I will wind up swapping out again later).

I like that I can list books on Bookmooch which would be unpostable on PBS, just make a note of the condition to warn the moocher.

Honestly, I put my list on both sites, (after waiting a few days to make sure it's not a wishlisted book I'm putting up), then quickly delete any books that are ordered from the other site.

I do the same as Jennifer. Both fill a need. I find PBS people can get peeved if you send them an ex-library book without warning them first, but people on Bookmooch don't care. I also like that I can list the condition of the book in Bookmooch and I choose who I am dealing with-you can reject requests and you choose who you order a book from (There are people who are deadbeats, so check feedback!).

If you really made me choose I would go with PBS because it tends to have more of the books I am looking for.

Heather