Menu

How do you store your recipes?

How do you store your recipes?  

1. 1. How do you store your recipes?

• Recipe box
    • Recipe binder (Why do you prefer this?)
    • Homemade binder or other method (please describe)
    • No method -- all the "recipes" are in my head
    • Other

I'm leaning towards replacing my broken recipe box with another wooden box, but I wonder if I should consider a binder or another method. Also, as I search, I see that there are little page protectors for recipe cards - :lol: . If I page protect my TOG, should I also protect my recipe cards? :D

Anyone want to link me to your favorite recipe storage system?

I have a notebook, one of those from Wal-Mart with the bright colored covers.

What I do is, when I've printed a recipe, I try it once. If it could do with some tweaking, then I write notes on the printed paper, then try it again. If the recipe turns out good, then I write it into my note book. If the recipe is no good, no matter what changes I make to it, I throw it away.

Last Christmas my best friend got me a recipe binder - it's very pretty.

Previously all my recipes were stuffed in a box and completely disorganized. The binder has dividers with tabs that can be customized so now all my recipes are organized in plastic sleeves and easy to find. The dividers have neat little quotes printed about cooking and food. There's also a section that includes cooking/kitchen tips, info on cooking methods, herbs and substitutions and common conversions.

I enjoy my recipe binder very much.

I'm a notebooking freak, I'll admit it. I notebook my recipes.

I have a 3-ring binder and I put all my recipes in there in page protectors. I have the binder divided into sections: snacks, appetizers, salads and dressings, side dishes, main dishes, desserts, holiday recipes, and misc. (craft recipes and such go in there as well as measuring conversions).

I also have the recipes alphabetized. I'm a little OCD about it, but, it makes my life really easy.

I'm a notebooking freak, I'll admit it. I notebook my recipes.

I have a 3-ring binder and I put all my recipes in there in page protectors. I have the binder divided into sections: snacks, appetizers, salads and dressings, side dishes, main dishes, desserts, holiday recipes, and misc. (craft recipes and such go in there as well as measuring conversions).

I also have the recipes alphabetized. I'm a little OCD about it, but, it makes my life really easy.

I bet you alphabetize your spices, too. Am I right?

I was shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- to learn that some people do not alphabetize spices!

:willy_nilly:

Alphabetize spices? Now there is a concept I had never considered... I guess the grocery stores do it, but I organize mine by size of the container!

As for recipes, I have a lot of mine in a recipe box and a lot more that are printed full-page. I need to either copy them onto 3x5 cards or print everything full-page so I can stick them all either in a binder or in the box.

If a recipe comes out of a cookbook and the family likes it, I just take an ink pen and mark "Keeper" up near the name of the recipe and mark any changes that I made/want to make to it for future reference. If we don't like a recipe at all, I draw a big X through it!

Me, too. We have a kitchen drawer that overfloweth with recipes waiting to be tried.

I still have a binder with "Taste of Home" recipes because they used to - or still come on a page that can be torn out of the magazine. I haven't subscribed to the mag in a while.

I am striving to collect all OTHER recipes in a box. So I type them out and cut the paper to fit the box or write them on index cards. I usually use one main cookbook for just about anything else.

I input our family's favorite recipes on Mastercook.

I print them up on 4x6 index cards.

Someone gave me a photo album with pockets for 4x6 pictures, two slip-in pockets per page. That is our family recipe book. I put the index cards in the pockets. I group like recipes together, with categories like main dishes (beef, chicken, other, vegetarian), baking, desserts, side dishes, entertaining.

In this binder, the plastic slip-in pages are glued in and there is no way to add extra pages. There are still plenty of blank spaces, but if the binder filled up I could take out the 4x6 cards and move them to a different binder.

With this method, the cards are protected with plastic. I'm a messy cook and with my old method (recipe box), the cards got ruined eventually. It only takes a few minutes to type a new recipe into the computer and print it up. If I'm too lazy to do that, I can print up one from allrecipes.com in 4x6 format and slip it in there. It's easy to add recipes to the book with this method, which isn't easy to do with bound cookbooks. And the binder looks pretty on the shelf. At least it did before I put it on the burner (sigh).

Only tried and tested family favorites are in here. The cookbook is great for teaching the kids how to cook. One of the reasons why I organized it the way I did was a result my cancer scare. If something happens to me, I'd like for my children to know how to make our favorite recipes.

All of my tried and true recipes are in page protectors and divided into sections in a binder. All other recipes are in pocket dividers. I type them up and put them in page protectors when I find a winner.

I used to do the recipe card thing but they always got dirty and I hated flipping from the ingredients on one side to the cooking instructions on the other. I find the page protector/binder method much easier. I'm thinking of separating things into two binders - one for fall/winter and one for spring/summer.

All my recipes are on my computer in a Folder I titled My Recipes! I can't deal with paper. I will print them if I need them, but if I lose the paper or it is used for a grocery list, then I can always find it easily.

I either scan them in as PDFs or I "print" them as PDFs from a website like Food Network. The only other ones I use are in a book like Joy of cooking, Nourishing Traditions, or some of the Allergy free books that I have.

Thanks, guys! I went shopping tonight and ended up with this one (only it's cheaper at Books-A-Million!). I think I'm really going to like it! (Ok...I'll be honest. I think it's beautiful, and I'm really excited about it! :D)

It's a binder and so I can add notes, lists of meals, snacks, etc. that don't need recipes, and meal plans. I also like that the pockets are see-through on both sides, so I can leave the cards in and turn the page for the backs.

The funny thing is that I make my grocery list during the kids' piano lessons, and I've been carting my recipe box to the teacher's house! A binder makes more sense for me.

I see that several of you use software. I may consider typing my recipes with the software I have (Cookin' -- I think. It's been a while.) I also bought this new cookbook -- Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life. My plan is to try a few new recipes each week and add the ones we like to the new binder.

Thanks again! I'm off to pull the cards I use from the old recipe box. :D

All of my tried and true recipes are in page protectors and divided into sections in a binder.

And I'll tell ya what - I just learned another good reason to use page protectors: when the hubster is on for din-din, and he somehow manages to splatter olive oil all over the kitchen, your recipe for Pasta Puttanesca will be saved from the deluge!

Interesting. I'm the sole (at this point) vote for "in my head".

I love to cook, always have. And with all the crazy ingredients I can get a hold of in this multi-ethnic melting-pot of Los Angeles, the cuisine here at home is eclectic and adventurous in the extreme.

But aside from a shelf-full of cook-books (which I'm inspired by, but never "follow") I have a scant few things written in an old journal (that I never look at) and instead cook from my imagination. It confounds those who want my "recipes", but what can I do?

Bill (non-conformist :D)

I have my Mom's hand-typed recipe book, which I use on occasion. I have my Grandmother's recipe box, which I never use.

I have a three-ring binder that I made for my recipes. I didn't like that, and I wasn't great at putting the recipes into the notebook.

So, I started a yahoo group, just for me. I put all my recipes in that. They will always be there, and if I'm out of town visiting and helping out, I have access. Cuts down on paper and time!

This has been a huge time saver for me.

The few that I want to keep, I stick in the cover of one particular cook book. There are only about 4 of them. Otherwise I cart the laptop to the kitchen to use online recipes.

I do this sometimes, too.

You know, I was just thinking today that having a laptop and wireless internet has changed my life - because I can have the comp in the kitchen. Not only do I look up recipes that way, but I also like to watch Teaching Company Lectures when I'm tidying, or baking bread.

I use photo albums; the kind that where you can slide in the photos from the side. If I have to, I fold the recipe to make it fit, making sure that the title is viewable. I made section tabs so it's easy to find a recipe (appetizers, soups/stews, pasta, etc.) I have one entire book for meats (pork, beef, lamb), one for chicken and fish, and one for desserts and breakfast foods. I can usually located a recipe in about 2 minutes.

So, I started a yahoo group, just for me. I put all my recipes in that. They will always be there, and if I'm out of town visiting and helping out, I have access. Cuts down on paper and time!

This has been a huge time saver for me.

My mom puts hers up at the "MyFamily" website..... not that i have my PW to that! LOL!!

I've got mine stored in a recipe box, in page protectors in a binder, and on the computer. I prefer having them in a binder; that way I can easily move it about when I'm cooking or making my menu and shopping list. The page protectors keep the recipes clean while I'm cooking and I've got the binder tabbed so that everything stays organized. Another bonus (for me) of using the binder is that, when I find a recipe in a magazine (my own magazine, of course) I can rip it out and put it in the binder right away so I don't lose it.

my recipes are on random sheets of paper stacked between cookbooks and other stuff. I usually find them when I need them. Sometimes I don't. I should have a system...

Same here. :tongue_smilie:...They're on comp paper and construction paper and the backs of receipts and whatever else was nearby when I had to write a recipe down. They're written in pen and pencil and marker and a few even in crayon. ;)

My MIL made me a recipe scrapbook for Christmas. She put a bunch of recipe cards and index cards in it for me to add recipes to it. It's basically a photo album in which I can slide the cards in from the side, with room on the one side of each page to write notes and add stickers or whatever.

I love it!

Ones that I use all the time are photocopied and taped to the inside of cabinet doors...muffins, oatmeal big batch ratios etc. Ones that I want to try/modify are in the recipe box so I can write all over them and make changes. Once I have it somewhat perfected, I type it up, put it in a binder behind a page protector.

I use a 12 month accordian expandable file. I covered the names of the months with food categories. I do have a separate 2 pocket folder for small cards and things that will get lost at the bottom. My plan is to copy those on to a full sheet of paper to store away, but that's one of those "projects" I don't seem to get around to doing.

I found some of these folders on clearance for $2 each, and I LOVE them. I use one for our bills and receipts. I just throw them in and don't have to organize them. I use another for items I don't want to forget come a certain time of year. I had some Thanksgiving and Christmas stickers and stuff I would always forget to use. I throw them in the monthly folder and check it each month. If somethings to big to fit, I just put a note in there as to where it is. They've brought a little sanity to a somewhat crazy life!!!

I bet you alphabetize your spices, too. Am I right?

I was shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- to learn that some people do not alphabetize spices!

:willy_nilly:

Now I don't alphabetize my spices, but my albums and CDs I do! It was a light bulb moment when a friend in college had them alphabetized. lol

Recipes I'm a bit more casual with. I have the Circa book with recipes that I've already decided are permanent ones in my files.

I have another 3 ring binder with cut out recipes for spring/summer to try, and yet another 3 ring binder for fall/winter. I need to go back and sort through those again.

The easiest way to do it, is to submit your favorites to a cookbook your club or church or something is publishing. Bingo! All in one place. ;)

I have mine in plasic folders in a 3 ring binder. However, that is not allof them- I save quite few on my computer and only print them out when I really need to, and I have another manila folder full of unsorted recipes.

Ideally, I like the binder the best, with divisions.

I have a regular binder with slip sleeves in it. I put about two recipes in each slip sleeve(generally these are printed from the internet or torn from a magazine. I have empty sleeves in the binder for new additions. When I use a recipe I just remove that page from the binder and the slip sleeve keeps it from getting messed up.

Note I also have another binder for take-out menus etc.

Karen

Same here for the recipes. I like pulling out a page and not worrying about keeping the recipe clean. Any new recipe goes into the front and is tried before I find the right section permanently. It's nice to just slip one in or out this way.

I put my recipes in page protectors in a 3 ring binder -- just like I do with my TOG!

I use a regular 1" binder and page protectors and add recipes I want to keep and get rid of the ones I do not use. At least this is the plan but I have not kept up with the taking recipes out part, maybe that's why it's overflowing. Seriously, I print recipes I want to try and if it goes over well I keep it if not I pitch it immediately.