Menu

Whirlpool Duet frontloading washer suddenly won't spin! Help!

I used my Whirlpool Duet frontloader (purchased April of 2007) this morning to wash some sheets, and it worked fine. I threw a large bath towel in just to rinse it (rinse & spin), and everything worked fine again until the spin cycle. Afterward, the towel was still soggy like it didn't go through the spin cycle at all. I put it through the drain & spin cycle, and still nothing. I noticed that the drum was turning, but it didn't SPIN (and it was set at high spin speed). What do I try before I call the repairman, since this machine is no longer under warranty?

And it was within the last week or so that I was saying here on the boards that I love my Whirlpool Duet!

I don't have that machine, I have the Affinity Front Loader by Fridgidare. BUT, we just went through this, no spinning and an E20 error code would come up. So looked it up online and found it was a drainage issue. So DH took the drain tube off the back and WOW! :ack2: Who knew so much black crap, don't even want to think WHAT it was lol, could build up in it! We rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed the drain hose until it was clear and now no problems, works well again.

Maybe it is the same thing with yours?

I do use HE soap, but always used cold water, apparently this is an issue also, always use warm water to wash, helps flush the drainage hoses out better.

I don't have that machine, I have the Affinity Front Loader by Fridgidare. BUT, we just went through this, no spinning and an E20 error code would come up. So looked it up online and found it was a drainage issue. So DH took the drain tube off the back and WOW! :ack2: Who knew so much black crap, don't even want to think WHAT it was lol, could build up in it! We rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed the drain hose until it was clear and now no problems, works well again.

Maybe it is the same thing with yours?

I do use HE soap, but always used cold water, apparently this is an issue also, always use warm water to wash, helps flush the drainage hoses out better.

I thought it might be that the load was off-balance -- the only thing I put in there was one large towel. But I've done that before and never had a problem.

While researching online, I came across one person who said that if their machine went through the entire wash/rinse/spin cycle theirs would work fine; the no-spin problem only occurred for them when they tried to do only the rinse/spin cycle. So I'm trying the whole wash/rinse/spin cycle with another load of sheets & pillowcases. So far, so good. I keep checking every few minutes, and the machine is doing everything the way it's supposed to.

Thanks for the suggestion about the drain hose. I had thought of that, and pulled the end of the hose out of the drainpipe in the wall, but it looked clean. Of course, I wonder if there could be some gunk way up in the hose that I couldn't see. Maybe dh can actually take the hose off the machine and check it when he gets home.

Years ago, we had to have the repairman fix our old washer because it wouldn't drain. The (embarrassing) problem then was that a pair of my undies had somehow gotten stuck in the drain hose! I hope there's nothing like that going on this time, although we are missing a couple of socks.

Edited by ereks mom

Ours sounded clear, water was getting out, I could hear it drain. It would drain somewhat, spin a little and then stop with the error code UGH! But when Tim took the hose right off, ran some water in it, water came out, then he sorta shook it and all this gunk came out, so he straightened it and ran water, shook it again and more gunk!! So maybe something stuck farther up the hose, in the bent part.

LOL about the repair guy, poor you!

Thanks for the suggestion about the drain hose. I had thought of that, and pulled the end of the hose out of the drainpipe in the wall, but it looked clean. Of course, I wonder if there could be some gunk way up in the hose that I couldn't see. Maybe dh can actually take the hose off the machine and check it when he gets home.

Years ago, we had to have the repairman fix our old washer because it wouldn't drain. The (embarrassing) problem then was that a pair of my undies had somehow gotten stuck in the drain hose! I hope there's nothing like that going on this time, although we are missing a couple of socks.

Yes, my old LG front loader had that, used to catch all kinds of things like coins, hair clips.

Mine (front loader - Asko) also has a little strainer in front on the bottom that has to be cleaned out periodically, like the lint trap on a dryer.