Menu

Science options for Sr. in high school???

My son is interested in studying either Computer Programming or Mechanical Engineering in college, so I've been thinking that he should have 4 years of Science on his high school transcript.

He's already taken Biology & Chemistry, and he's taking Physics now. He needs a course for next year, and we are not sure what he should take. Our thought process goes something like this -- he could take an AP or a Community College course, but in what subject?

He's just finishing Physics, so he really doesn't want to take another Physics course next year. He doesn't care for Chemistry. Since he's interested in computers or engineering, AP or CC Biology doesn't seem like it would be a useful course for him.

We're wondering how colleges would view a couple of computer programming or networking courses instead of a strict "science" course. He is taking a Visual Basic course now (at the same times as Physics) and enjoying it. Another option would be for him to just buckle down and take another Chemistry course.

We're not looking, at this point, in trying to transfer the AP or CC credits in computing because we think he should take the courses in his major at the 4-year school he will go to the following year.

So many decisions.... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA,

Brenda

My son is interested in studying either Computer Programming or Mechanical Engineering in college, so I've been thinking that he should have 4 years of Science on his high school transcript.

He's already taken Biology & Chemistry, and he's taking Physics now. He needs a course for next year, and we are not sure what he should take. Our thought process goes something like this -- he could take an AP or a Community College course, but in what subject?

He's just finishing Physics, so he really doesn't want to take another Physics course next year. He doesn't care for Chemistry. Since he's interested in computers or engineering, AP or CC Biology doesn't seem like it would be a useful course for him.

We're wondering how colleges would view a couple of computer programming or networking courses instead of a strict "science" course. He is taking a Visual Basic course now (at the same times as Physics) and enjoying it. Another option would be for him to just buckle down and take another Chemistry course.

We're not looking, at this point, in trying to transfer the AP or CC credits in computing because we think he should take the courses in his major at the 4-year school he will go to the following year.

So many decisions.... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA,

Brenda

My first thought would be to ask him what he'd like to take. Then since he wants to major in engineering, advanced chemistry would be a logical choice. Maybe talk to people about possible teachers at the cc - that might influence your choice. Or look into online courses? just some thoughts. :)

What about astronomy? It is a very classical type science, and I think it would be fun too! You could tie in the computer aspect into the course with how technology is being used in astronomy. I would think that there are tons of computer models out there for different galaxies and other astronomical systems.

Just a thought,

Re computer science --at the U. of Washington Website for Computer Science, they have a terrific collection of information about the major, along with appropriate high school courses. They point out that it is competitive to be admitted to the department, but if you are a strong high school student you could be admitted directly out of high school. Otherwise you need to apply after certain courses are done. It also explained about the type of math you need to take-before and after getting admitted to the program.

htt://www.cs.washington.edu The page you want is "information for High School Students Considering CSE" I thought it was quite informative.