Menu

Have you ever had a physical reaction to wearing a watch?

When I was pg with my oldest 14 years ago, my left side went numb. It started with my pinkie and over the course of a few days moved up my arm until my whole left side--leg, face, etc.--had a tingly feeling. My ob figured I had a pinched nerve or something and sent me to a neurologist. I had an MRI of my head, exam, etc. Nada. They didn't want to be too intrusive because I was pg.

I mentioned it to someone and they said they had a similar reaction to wearing their watch. I took off my watch and the symptoms disappeared. I figured it was a pregnancy fluke. I never got around to wearing a watch again.

Fast forward to now. I've been working out and wanted a heart rate monitor. DH got me one of those wristwatch types. I put it on and within a half hour I noticed the numbness in my pinkie. I don't wear it anymore. When I want my heart rate I take it out of my pocket and just lay it across my wrist to get the hr and then back in my pocket it goes. I tried putting it on my right wrist this morning, but within 5 minutes I noticed my right pinkie going numb.

I was talking to DH about it when I got home from the gym and he says that it kind of sounds like carpal tunnel, but it is weird that it only happens when I wear the watch.

Any ideas?

No idea, but I know a friend of mine sees a Naturopath who recommends she not wear watches or even use an electric heating pad (hot water bottles only) because of the electricity messing up the body. I have another friend who can't wear watches or even jewelry because she gets sluggish and tired. I found out because I was asking her if she thought it was possible for my watch to be contributing to my tiredness. I lost it for a week and was suddenly not as tired. Still tired, but I did notice a difference. Quite possibly just a coincidence though.

i wonder if this could be a nickel/metallic allergy reaction. are you able to wear pierced earrings? although the watches i have are not problematic, i have had to get nickel free attachments for all my ear rings. my symptoms are infections in my lobes within a few hours of wearing the wrong kind. this allergy has only surfaced in the last ten years. i'm told once you have it, though, it never goes away.

Thanks, Jenn and Deidre. I don't think it is an allergy since I don't have a rash. I've never worn any type of jewelry, so I don't know. The hr monitor is a "man sized" watch, so the back surface area where the metal contacts my skin is about 6x the surface area of the dainty watch I wore before.

I don't know. The symptoms disappear when the watch is gone, so I'll just not use it anymore...anyone want to buy a barely used heart rate monitor that may or may not cause extreme numbness? :p

Oh, Amy! You just reminded me! I did try to wear my watch again after the pg, but the battery was dead. I got the battery replaced and it quit, so I figured the watch was bad. I put it away...and I haven't worn one since.

Oooooh...it is all starting to make sense. I wonder if it has anything to do with that UFO....just kidding.

Oh, Amy! You just reminded me! I did try to wear my watch again after the pg, but the battery was dead. I got the battery replaced and it quit, so I figured the watch was bad. I put it away...and I haven't worn one since.

Oooooh...it is all starting to make sense. I wonder if it has anything to do with that UFO....just kidding.

LOL :eek: You saw it too? :eek:

:( I do. I haven't worn a watch for about a year. I am going to try again but with nail polish on the metal parts that touches my arm. I broke out in hives big time with severe itching. Somebody just told me recently to try clear nail polish on the parts that will be touching my arm. I can't even wear leather bands either.

Holly