Menu

Homeschooling high school

Hi everyone~

My oldest son is in 8th grade (always homeschooled) and I am interested in reading books pertaining to homeschooling the high school years or homeschooling w/college admissions in mind or something like that. I have a general plan for the curricula I want to use, I'd just like to have a guide for the whole process.

If you've used a book that you found helpful, would you please share the title? Also, if this has been discussed here before (I'm usually over on the General Board) and you could help me find the thread I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

Chelle

My absolute favorite is Home-Designed High School. Covers the whole process, is very doable, moderate, reasonable...the book I'd have written, if I were so motivated.

The best thing I did when my daughters were in 8th grade was write a 5 year plan that included 8th grade for their high school experience. Of course it was modified each year, but it meant we were SO productive during 9th and 10th grades that my girls had very reasonable, easy "senior years"...and transitioned beautifully into university without any pain or problems. Well, my younger dd is a first-semester freshman, but seems to have made the leap easily. My older daughter graduates with her BA in mathematics (minor in art) in Dec 2009, and has maintained her 4.0 GPA throughout, despite my complete lack of faith in the preparation we'd given her. GRIN.

Lori

Two additional recommendations --

1) Homeschoolers' College Admissions Handbook by Cafi Cohen

I strongly second the recs for the other two books. I own all three and suggest that you read as many as you can get your hands on. Each has a slightly different perspective and emphasis. Each will add to your understanding of the overall process.

2) What Colleges Don't Tell You by Gross.

Actually, I HATE this book. The book is written by an overachiever for overachiever-type parents. BUT the book has lots of helpful suggestions for how parents can help their kids make the most of the high school years.

I wish I had bumped into this book years ago!

But do have some mellow music playing in the background when you read it, and plan on having coffee with a supportive friend after you have finished it!

My absolute favorite is Home-Designed High School. Covers the whole process, is very doable, moderate, reasonable...the book I'd have written, if I were so motivated.

The best thing I did when my daughters were in 8th grade was write a 5 year plan that included 8th grade for their high school experience. Of course it was modified each year, but it meant we were SO productive during 9th and 10th grades that my girls had very reasonable, easy "senior years"...and transitioned beautifully into university without any pain or problems. Well, my younger dd is a first-semester freshman, but seems to have made the leap easily. My older daughter graduates with her BA in mathematics (minor in art) in Dec 2009, and has maintained her 4.0 GPA throughout, despite my complete lack of faith in the preparation we'd given her. GRIN.

Lori

Thanks, Lori. Will you come hold my hand?

Chelle

Two additional recommendations --

1) Homeschoolers' College Admissions Handbook by Cafi Cohen

I strongly second the recs for the other two books. I own all three and suggest that you read as many as you can get your hands on. Each has a slightly different perspective and emphasis. Each will add to your understanding of the overall process.

2) What Colleges Don't Tell You by Gross.

Actually, I HATE this book. The book is written by an overachiever for overachiever-type parents. BUT the book has lots of helpful suggestions for how parents can help their kids make the most of the high school years.

I wish I had bumped into this book years ago!

But do have some mellow music playing in the background when you read it, and plan on having coffee with a supportive friend after you have finished it!

Thank you, Gwen. I'll look into those, too. I'll get that friend lined up right away! Let me know if you're going to be around MO anytime soon!

Chelle

Thanks, Lori. Will you come hold my hand?

Chelle

Hey, it's a big long link of hands, right here on this site...Gosh, I've been posting here since 2001! My kids have grown up right before everyone's eyes here. GRIN.

But yes...I try to come hang out as often as I can, even if it's just to say "if I can do it, anyone can..."

Hey, it's a big long link of hands, right here on this site...Gosh, I've been posting here since 2001! My kids have grown up right before everyone's eyes here. GRIN.

But yes...I try to come hang out as often as I can, even if it's just to say "if I can do it, anyone can..."

I have a feeling I'll be a regular on this board from here on out!

Chelle