Menu

What do you use for Latin?

siloam

What are you using for Latin?  

1. 1. What are you using for Latin?

• Lively Latin
    • Henle Latin
    • Latin for Children (Please post levels)
    • Latin Prep
    • Minimus (either level)
    • Latin Road to English Grammar
    • Latin Christiana
    • Prima Latin
    • No Latin
    • Other

I'm currently using Lively Latin. I don't know what he'll do next. I'm considering using Minimus with my younger guys, but they'll go on to Lively Latin as well. They will undoubtedly do the 2nd book too - I'm just not sure about using Book 2 with my oldest... just because I don't know when or how quickly it is going to be coming out.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Debra

Mom of five

After we did LFC A & B, dd used Learn to Read Latin. The authors sent us quizzes and tests upon request plus an answer key for the translations.

She's continuing the book in honors Latin II at school this year. (And yeah, I chose the book based on the fact that the school that she was applying to used the text.)

It's way beyond me to teach past about chapter 5, and I didn't have the time available to learn it ahead of dd.

We've used Prima Latina, Latina Christiana 1 & 2, and will be starting Henle soon.

We've really loved LC; mind you, the children DO tend to acheive higher marks than me, but ah, well. :o

It's quite interesting, actually; I'm just finishing up LC II with four of my children: ages 15, 14, 13 and 12; and usually, the 12 year old scores the highest in the tests. Goes to show it really is true that they soak up the information much better when they are younger.

No latin yet, but I would like to start it next year with my upcoming 3rd grader. I'll be watching this poll to see what others like!

I myself have bought Henle 1 and plan to start working through it myself...I would like to have a little bit of knowlegde before starting to teach it to the kids!

The dvd's are fantastic. We couldn't be happier. I don't know Latin -- at all -- so this is a great way for my kiddos to learn Latin w/o ANY input from me. They also meet w/ a tutor 1 hour/wk. We make about a 5-6 hour commitment to Latin each week.

Here is our schedule:

Monday: Watch dvd lessons, do workbook page, make vocab cards

Tuesday: Study cards, listen to CD

Wednesday: Same

Thursday: Same + Quiz

Friday: Same + meet w/ tutor 1 hour

We use Latin in the Christian Trivium. She takes it at a local co-op and does the online class as well.

I made sure she was well grounded in English grammar/language and I think that helped a lot.

Started in the 7th grade and DD is doing WONDERFUL! Starting earlier scares me a little bit. For our family, this works best. :D

~Tina

We've been doing Latin for quite a few years now. It has worked for our family to begin easing into Latin when they were just over ages 5 and 7. We've used Latin's Not So Tough level 1 and 2. From there we moved onto Matin Latin and we all hated it. We didn't even finish book 1. From there we moved to Latina Christiana I and II. This school year my dd moved to an online Wheelock's class and is doing an exceptional job. She studies over an hour a day to keep her high grade though. My son took the first part of the school year to repeat translating the sentences again in LC II. I wanted to make sure he understood the concept. He has now moved to Wheelock's. We will go at an extremely slow pace to insure he retains the material. At this point I feel time is on my side with him so a slower pace is welcome.

This is my first post in the new forum. I think I just did spell check but am not sure if it checked my document.

We started LFC A this year (3rd grd son), and we're 1/3 of the way through it. Enjoying it, but I do feel it could use some more practice sheets, so I make up my own. They just sent us the new DVDs and they are a big improvement! We plan on sticking with it.

LFC - A I like it but it needs more practice, worksheets and all.

aka Christina in OR

Christina, have you seen the supplemental pages they have on the CAP website? We're using LfC-A, as well, and my biggest complaint (overlooking the typos, that is) is the lack of translation work. The supplemental pages are great for helping to fill that gap.

That said, I am still not 100% certain we'll stick w/ LfC after Primer A. It's working. DS9 enjoys it. He's "getting" it. I don't have any actual complaints on the overall results we're seeing. But... but... I want to look at Latin Book One some more, and possibly Lively Latin. But I'm also holding off to make sure I'm not becoming the bear who went over the mountain, to see what he could see. ;) That's a definite temptation for me.

DD12 has been using Latin Prep 1 this year and LOVES it! She says that it's great and that she loves Latin when she always thought she'd dread it! Needless to say, we'll be doing Latin Prep 2 next year. What I wonder about is DD9, who says she wants to start Latin, but has a very different learning style from her sister. I'm wondering if Latin for Children, or Lively Latin might be better choices for her next year? Any suggestions?

DD12 has been using Latin Prep 1 this year and LOVES it! She says that it's great and that she loves Latin when she always thought she'd dread it! Needless to say, we'll be doing Latin Prep 2 next year. What I wonder about is DD9, who says she wants to start Latin, but has a very different learning style from her sister. I'm wondering if Latin for Children, or Lively Latin might be better choices for her next year? Any suggestions?

Latin Prep 1 is another I wanted to look into. :-)

Learning style can make a huge difference, imho. We initially switched from PL/LC1 to LfC b/c of DS9's learning style. He functions beautifully with LfC. DS7, however, has a completely different way of integrating information into useful context, and so he is doing well with PL, and I'm not sure he'd handle LfC well. Fortunately, I have a little more Guinea Pig time before I have to make a choice on him.

I'm sure hoping some of our Latin Gurus (or at least those who've got a better grip on the options/benefits than we do!) will come chime in on this thread with their input. Maybe we should go give 'em a little nudge-nudge?

Latin Primer I and II, and Latin Grammar from Canon Press. We have the DVDs too that teach the class. Then on to Latina Lingua for high school. Wheelocks is always sitting around too.

I like Wheelocks, oldest had a year with Wheelocks in college and the second year they use Latina Lingua. The new Latin teacher said it would help them think in Latin better than Wheelocks.