Menu

What is usual Social Studies Sequence for grades 9-12 what should be covered?

I was curious what the normal sequence for Social Studies is for grades 9-12?

Also what topics should be contained within each?

I am accustomed to the Unit Study approach. Is there anything that fits the bill for appropriateness at this level?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Kelley

I can only tell you what is required for my dd. She went to a public school last year and they had geography freshman year. At her current school they have world history sophomore year, American history junior year and Economics and Government senior year. I'm sorry but I can't really help with the content though. They had block scheduling last year so geography only lasted 9 weeks (Needless to say not a lot was covered). This year the world history seems to be a survey course because they seem to be covering ancient history all the way up to the world wars. I'm not sure about the junior and senior classes.

Traditionally it is Civics, World History, US History, and US Government; however our state university only has these stipulations for admission:

"One unit drawn from American and/or world history; one additional unit drawn from any history, American government and/or geography; and a third unit drawn from any social science discipline."

Denise in NE

popular around here (MD).

We need to have 3 social studies credits for graduation. 1 must a US history. The other two are typically World Geography, to include both physical and cultural geography (we used BJUP) and either a combination of US government and econ (each at 1/2 credit) or a world history. For our requirements, you don't have to do anything except US....the other two can be just about anything that would be considered social studies....but geography, US hist, and World hist or geography, Us Hist, and gov't/econ are most popular IMO.

We are rebels and will probably do something a bit different. We are planning to do a semester each of ancient civilizations and Ren/ref for our final history.

As for curricula, we used BJUP for Geo in 9th grade, as I mentioned above. We used Notgrass for Am. History this year (11th grade) coupled with TTCs History of the United States videos, and will used a bunch of TTCs videos and probably Spielvogel for the ancient and then ren/ref semesters. We will complete three credits for Social Studies....some folks go for four, or 1 a year.

HTH