Menu

Pennyslvania

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Myloveelli

I live in Exeter, just outside of Reading in Berks /county. I HS my almost 10 yr old DD and 6 1/2 yr old DS. I also have a 5 yr old DD, 2 yr old DD and 11 week old DD.

• 1 month later...
As ordered, I come here representing PA! The Pocono Mountain region, specifically. Anyone else??

I'm heading to the Poconos. What is there for kids in the area?? How is the library?? Any good places to take karate lessons?? Where do you shop??

I live in Exeter, just outside of Reading in Berks /county. I HS my almost 10 yr old DD and 6 1/2 yr old DS. I also have a 5 yr old DD, 2 yr old DD and 11 week old DD.

:) I'm also in Exeter! I currently hs my soon to be 5 year old. At the end of the school year I will be hsing my 7 year old as well as my younger two.

• 1 month later...
I am in southeast PA (chester county). Less than a 10 minute drive to the DE border. I have a 6 yo, 3 1/2 yo, and 16 mo.

Me too! Well, it's a bit more than 10 min to DE. We're in West Chester, dh works in DE. 7 yo ds, 5 yo dd, and 17 month old dd.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a house! :D We're leaving the mountain and heading to Berks County. I'm so glad we'll be moved and settled in before the new school year.

6/23: We aren't moving just yet. :( The home inspection left us with too many concerns and we decided not to buy the home.

Edited by Doodle
update

This thread just caught my eye (one gets slower as one gets older you know...)

Anyway, we're in South Central PA too - halfway between York and Gettysburg (south of Harrisburg, north of Hanover).

We have 3 boys - they just finished 11th, 9th, and 7th... so technically this is my last year with my oldest, but we have threatened to fail him in a course or two because we don't relish losing the help he provides on our farm or with our ponies... :) I suppose the other option is to sell some of our ponies... Which to do, which to do??? Did I mention he's also our resident taxi driver? :auto:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Berks County resident here !

I have a 25 year old son, a 21 year old daughter (my first homeschool graduate who is now attending Penn State University), a 10 year old son, an 8 year old daughter, a 6 year old son and a 4 year old son.

I'd love to hear from some other local homeschooling moms !

• 1 month later...

Hi PA ladies. I used to live there with my PA husband. Now we live in GA (where I grew up). We lived in Lebanon, Harrisburg, and Reading. Funny thing is, I miss PA much more than my PA husband (he grew up in Hbg), and I keep trying to convince him to move back. However, since he's a pastor, it's not about what WE want, but want HE wants. Anyway, say hello to the Keystone state for me!

Julie

Hi PA ladies. I used to live there with my PA husband. Now we live in GA (where I grew up). We lived in Lebanon, Harrisburg, and Reading. Funny thing is, I miss PA much more than my PA husband (he grew up in Hbg), and I keep trying to convince him to move back. However, since he's a pastor, it's not about what WE want, but want HE wants. Anyway, say hello to the Keystone state for me!

Julie

Hi Julie,

I also grew up in Harrisburg (West Hanover Township). We've been living out of state for the past 6 years and recently moved back to PA. We're still looking for a new house.

Doodle - What area are you moving to? I couldn't follow you. Berks Co, or Poconos? When we moved to Reading it took us 4 months to find a house (looking diligently), and we looked at well over 90 houses. When we left it only took us 2 days to sell. It would seem God didn't want us in that area! I would love to go back to Hbg area. It is so livable!

We are temporarily living in the Poconos. We're looking for a new house in the general vicinity of Harrisburg. Most all of our family is located in that general area. Some on the west and some on the east side of the Susquehanna River. We've looked at houses in a lot of different areas. Perry, Dauphin, Lebanon, Lancaster and Berks counties so far. It has been exhausting since a day of house hunting begins and ends with a 2 hour drive.

We did try to buy a house in Berks county. The home inspection went really bad and we backed out.

Edited by Doodle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm also near Harrisburg (just moved from Indiana) and very new to homeschooling. Any local resources I should know about??

Christy

Hi Christy! I'm just south of Harrisburg. The large local (Christian) hs group is HAHA (Harrisburg Area Homeschool Association). They have lots of information on their website about local things. If you are looking for something specific, PM me!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I live in Schuylkill County (I used to live in the Poconos, but I've been in Schuylkill County for nearly six years now).

I belong to a homeschool meetup group which says it's in lavelle because that's where the main organizer lives but our members are spread out in and around Schuylkill County, with the Pottsville area being the central location and therefore where a lot of our meetups are held.

We do field trips, co-op classes, craft days, social get togethers and all sorts of fun things, quite frequently. If anyone is interested in a group like that PM me or look it up online on meetup.com! :)

We currently have I think 22 families. Some are classical schoolers, some are unschoolers, some are cyber schoolers, some are more eclectic/relaxed and just fall somewhere in between. Our kids range from preschoolers through teenagers. It's a great group!

Nance

ETA: P.S. I forgot to mention, I am homeschooling a 9 year old fourth grade girl (currently using Oak Meadow curriculum) and (VERY informally) a 4 year old preschooler (boy).

Edited by NanceXToo
Wanted to add my kid's ages :)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...