Menu

combining high school grades in history

I will have 11th,10th, and 9th graders at the same time. They have always been combined for history and science and I would very much like to continue in this (particularly with history, as we enjoy the discussion). I am unable, however, to come up with a plan that seems to make sense. If you have successfully accomplished this how did you do it and what did you use. If this is an unreasonable goal--I need the cold hard truth. Thanks!

I thought I'd answer since no one else has piped up. :o)

I wouldn't think combining in high school would be that much different from combining in other grades. You have a tremendous advantage in that you can carry on wonderful Socratic discussions right there in your home! If you want to do it yourself, you could use the WTM lit list and another history book like Speilvogel. If you want something already put together, you could look at TOG or Omnibus. Have you seen either? I believe both have samples on-line.

HTH,

Lisa

Thank you for responding. I have looked at Omnibus bit. It certainly is a consideration, but honestly, the reading list is a bit intimidating. I have somewhat the same situation with TOG. I have tried to make sense of the scheduling, but I get lost looking at it. Maybe I will just spend some more time looking into them.

I combined history and science for two students much further apart in age than yours! Personally, I'd just start somewhere, call it "World History I," "American History," "20th Century History" or whatever, and then build a sequence for reading and study. When I combined our studies, I never required my girls to read the same exact books, or write on the same topics. We just had a time period or topic of study each week, and they had to choose within that framework. Then, when we read/discuss together, it encourages them to teach what they are the experts on to the other student and vice versa.

Thank you for responding. I have looked at Omnibus bit. It certainly is a consideration, but honestly, the reading list is a bit intimidating. I have somewhat the same situation with TOG. I have tried to make sense of the scheduling, but I get lost looking at it. Maybe I will just spend some more time looking into them.

I used TOG with 3 kids up till last year.... my son went to cc to finish out his high school and work on an AA. We began using TOG when he was in 8th grade.

The redesign is really good.

Have you been able to print out the 3 week schedule for TOG. They have one for year 1 and year 2 available. Also if you can get the Tapestry tea dvd. Its a wonderful overview...

Best of luck... its not always easy finding what works....

Warmley, Lisa