Menu

Planning for next year, question?

alexfam

Here is what I have come up for my 6yo ds next year. Will this be too much, not enough or just right? Any suggestions or comments over the curriculum's I have chosen? We somewhat homeschool ds up until this past Aug when he start PS. So, this coming year we are pulling him out of PS and homeschooling him so I have to make my lessons plans instead of just doing this or that.

Language/Grammar: First Language Lessons for the well-trained Mind, Word Study 2 from Singapore, Sentences to Paragrah 2 from Singapore

Spelling: Spelling Workout B

Math: Singapore 2A & 2B, Intensive practice, & maybe Word Problems book

Science: (Earth Science & Astronomy) following the WTM method.

Writing: Writing Strands 2

History/Geography: Story of the world Vol. 1, History of Science (to tie science into histroy) Ds loves science this will be a read-aloud.

Handwriting - HWT Cursive

Reading - Following WTM reading list in Reading & History for the Ancients, independent reading

That is an awful lot of writing for a little guy unless he LOVES to write. We just jumped in with WS 3 this year, ds is in third and he is able to physically do more with his writing... and he writes well for his age.

If you are going to do narrations/ summaries in the other subjects, I think the WS is too much.:cool:

The first grade portion of FLL moved way too slow for my dd. We ended up dumping it after a few weeks. The following year I tried it again, skipping to the grade 2 section, and she liked that much better. If your ds is very quick to pick up on language concepts, you may need to move ahead quickly to keep his interest.

Just a thought...

I personally would combine "handwriting" with one, more, or even all of the other subjects. I don't know how it will work for your son but that would have been too much writing for my daughter when she just turned six, but now that she is nearly seven, she likes writing more.

What I did was purchased Educational Fontware software and have that printed out or on my computer screen as a guide for when my daughter is writing anything.

I noticed that you said you would be doing Earth Science and Astronomy with SOTW 1. Year one science is "Animals, Human Body and Plants". If you decide to do year one science instead of Earth/Astronomy I highly recommend you get "SOMEBODY". It's truly worth the $20 price tag. My boys and I have learned a lot and had a blast playing the games. If you go with Earth/Astronomy our favorite resource this year was "The Glow in the Dark Night Sky Book" by Clint Hatchett. It was my ds's favorite book this year and he has really enjoyed using it.

We did WS2 with my ds when he was 6. It was not too difficult for him to do. But it was BORING. Very, very boring. I suggest that you get Write Source for your child instead. It has lots of cool pictures and is written in a conversational tone. Also it teaches by way of strategies rather then just using specific exercises.

It covers the writing process, how to write in journals, letters, notes, autobiographies, several kinds of books, poetry and a few other things. I got Write Away for my Nov. 6yo. It's written on an upper 1st to 2nd grade level. If your ds is reading at or slightly above grade level it would be a good fit. If he is reading closer to a 4th grade level you might want to get Write on Track. If he hasn't had any writing instruction I'd go with Write Away... the six steps for writing are written in more simplistic terms. The Skillbook/Sourcebook (sold separately) is basically a grammar and mechanics book and is not really needed.

Also I would add Art and Music as others have mentioned. This year we are using Child Sized Masterpieces and the boys and I are really enjoying them.

Gosh, seems like a lot of structured LA for such a wee one. I'd drop most or all of the formal LA and, if your child enjoys writing, then replace most/all of that LA with facilitating his writing of stories, letters, etc. If it were me, for formal LA for a 6 yo, I'd keep the handwriting and ditch the rest (other than encouraging him to read/write as much as desired).

In place of all that LA, I'd add in some art & music. Fun stuff, creative stuff. I find instrument study to be valuable for my dc and with these accelerated learners, I find it helps them to broaden their horizons and they can easily find the time to learn music/art while still progressing rapidly in the more basic areas.

Since you're on the Accel Learner board and didn't mention a reading/phonics program for your 6yo, I'll assume he's reading well and widely. If not, then I'd add in a structured progressive reading program and/or phonics of some sorts.