Menu

Best version of Kipling's Just So Stories?

melissel

This is the next selection from our Book Jar, and I'm hoping to find a richly illustrated version. We tried to read a few of these once before, but she wasn't too interested. I'm hoping some illustrations will help a bit. Can anyone suggest a specific edition I should look for?

Thanks!

We have the version illustrated by Safaya Salter. It has a fairly elaborate picture for each story. However, what we did was to get an audio version of the book from the library, listened to a story or two while driving on errands, and then when we returned home (or in the car at the same time if I remembered), we'd look at the pictures. I just couldn't get into reading them aloud with as much feeling as the audio reader did.

Erica in OR

We have a gorgeously illustrated version, with pix by Isabelle Brent -- it was OOP so we got a used copy -- the illus are almost like illuminated manuscripts. It was the best illus version of the complete tales that I found. That said, I am thinking that the text (Kipling's original) might be too hard, given your dc's ages. I loves these stories as a child, but they come across to me now as having very stilted, convoluted language.

There are a number of pix books for kids of individual stories. Have you thought of getting one book for "keeping" and one (or more) for actual reading? JMHO.

We have a gorgeously illustrated version, with pix by Isabelle Brent -- it was OOP so we got a used copy -- the illus are almost like illuminated manuscripts. It was the best illus version of the complete tales that I found. That said, I am thinking that the text (Kipling's original) might be too hard, given your dc's ages. I loves these stories as a child, but they come across to me now as having very stilted, convoluted language.

There are a number of pix books for kids of individual stories. Have you thought of getting one book for "keeping" and one (or more) for actual reading? JMHO.

Alessandra, is this the one you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Just-So-Stories-Complete-Rudyard-Kipling/dp/0670851965/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230515101&sr=8-28

Wow, I looked at her Web site. That is some beautiful work. My library system has both this and the Safaya Salter version, so I put both on hold. I agree that the language is somewhat difficult, but I'm hoping the illustrations will help. DD6 loves the Rikki Tikki Tavi story, of course, and another one that we've read (can't remember which), so we'll see what happens. The Book Jar rule is that we have to try at least two chapters before either of us can say we want to stop, and I've been finding that I've let her ease away from more classic literature, so I'm trying to lead us back in that direction. I do know that this might not work out though, and I'm open to that possibility.

Thank you both! I can't wait until these come in!