Menu

Around what age do puppies generally calm down?

Our new puppy is so lovable, but also so much work! I'd forgotten how much attention a puppy requires, it's almost like having a baby or toddler again!

Clever is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, he just turned four months old yesterday. We spend plenty of time playing with him, walk him each day, take him out to play in the yard. But he still wants attention all the time, and he is SO FRISKY! And the crazy puppy nipping and chewing!

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a general age range where most puppies start to settle down. I love Clever, but he is wearing me out! And he requires so much time and attention, I'm a bit concerned about how our school day is going to accomodate him when we get back into things in January.

Michelle T

It really depends on the breed. I don't know Corgi's so I can't tell you about them. I know that many dogs settle down around the 1st year mark. But I have English Springer Spaniels and never had really realized what the "springer" in their name meant until we had one. At 2 years old I asked my vet when this dog would ever mellow out - she told me "For most dogs they would have mellowed out by now. For Springers - it may be 4 years old!" She was right. Our 5 year old Springer is finally mellow!

He should stop nipping and chewing around 1 year. Make sure that you're correcting him/not allowing him to bite. He'll never stop if you don't correct him properly. He won't really be mature, or teenagerish, until about 2 years old. Puppies are like toddlers. They need rules and structure. Do you have a crate for quite/nap/bed time?

One of our dogs is part Corgi, 4 years old- she is quite placid and I dont remember her being too bad from quite young- maybe 9 months? The other, a JR cross maltese, is only 5 months old and a wild thang so not sure there, however she has been trained to sit in a box inside at night and also during the day when no one wants to give her attention.

Dogs can be trained from quite young, to be alone for times, to not jump up, to behave well- perhaps you need to focus on training now so that by January you have a dog who wont disrupt your school day too much. Our pup is incredibly frisky but is training up well. I dont mean to say she is particularly obedient yet, she isnt, but she does sit in her box overnight without complaint, and waits till dh gets her out in the morning, even though I am up first. When she digs holes in my new vegetable garden, she gets told off very severely and she seems to have stopped. When she barks, which isnt often because our other dog doesnt bark at all, we tell her off and she usually stops unless she is just beside herself.

So keep going and set those boundaries now and enforce them- it will be so worth it later when you have a well behaved dog.

It really depends on the breed. I don't know Corgi's so I can't tell you about them. I know that many dogs settle down around the 1st year mark. But I have English Springer Spaniels and never had really realized what the "springer" in their name meant until we had one. At 2 years old I asked my vet when this dog would ever mellow out - she told me "For most dogs they would have mellowed out by now. For Springers - it may be 4 years old!" She was right. Our 5 year old Springer is finally mellow!

:lol: Yep. It definitely depends on the breed. Our American Eskimos are 10 & 9, and they mellowed some in the last couple of years.

our cockapoo pup just turned one and she's still wild, though she chews a little less. she's a big chewer. i think by 2 she'll be nicely settled.

our labradoodle is about 3 and he is so mellow, especially compared to how he was last spring when we got him. he was about 1.5 then and wound like a rubber band.

i think it depends on the breed and the individual dog. puppies are a ton of work! exhausting! it helps to take as many walks as possible with them and get them into puppy obedience classes. i wish i had started formal training with our puppy a lot sooner.

best of luck

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a general age range where most puppies start to settle down. I love Clever, but he is wearing me out! And he requires so much time and attention, I'm a bit concerned about how our school day is going to accomodate him when we get back into things in January.

Michelle T

Settle down? Hum -- let me ask --

"Hey, Guys! When are you going to settle down?"

They're laughing at me. They range in age from nine months to about fourteen years and show no signs as of yet. :willy_nilly:

Sorry 'bout that. I rarely get a chance to use that smiley. :D

The German Shepherd has been a real challenge "attention-wise." She always seems to want to play just as we're settling down to something. It's almost like she thinks it's too quiet. Of course, being an equal opportunity instigator, she gets everyone else worked up, too. I'm thinking her name should be "Chaos!"

After ten or fifteen minutes of good, hard playtime, all the dogs sleep like rocks and we get our work done. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :lol:

Good luck!

Our new puppy is so lovable, but also so much work! I'd forgotten how much attention a puppy requires, it's almost like having a baby or toddler again!

Clever is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, he just turned four months old yesterday. We spend plenty of time playing with him, walk him each day, take him out to play in the yard. But he still wants attention all the time, and he is SO FRISKY!

our puggle is three years old and she's still like a 3 mo old. we walk her, train her and are consistent as heck with her. she's a nightmare. we also have a jrt. he calmed down at about 7 yo. I'm expecting the same with the puggle.

:glare: