Menu

Stephen King book aficionados

I would like to get my 20 year old son a Stephen King book for Christmas. He has read the Dark Tower series and enjoyed it, although I think ultimately he was a little disappointed in the ending. He has also read his book On Writing (I believe that is the title) and I believe he has also read The Tommyknockers.

Any suggestions on a Stephen King book or series?

Thanks for any help,

Margaret

Edited by Margaret H

It, The Stand, The Talisman, The Green Mile are my favorites (other than the "classic" King books - Salem's Lot, Carrie, Christine, Cujo). "It" gave me nightmares as an adult.

Also high up on the list would be Bag of Bones, Black House, Delores Claiborne. I never cared for the Bachman books.

He has read the Dark Tower series and enjoyed it, although I think ultimately he was a little disappointed in the ending.

I think we all were! :tongue_smilie:

I second The Stand, but I also recommend The Eyes of the Dragon. I recommend that to everyone, even those who hate his other books. It's more of a fairy tale than anything else, and it's set in Delain (from the Dark Tower books).

It is excellent post apocalyptic literature and was released in a new unedited 1300 page paperback. I also really enjoyed a collection of short stories tha included The Green Mile. " It" was also underappreciated due to a really bad tv movie...

Confused about your answer. As far as I know, The Green Mile was published in series but not as part of a collection of short stories. Also, I believe the movie was an academy award winner. I realize that doesn't make it a good movie but it was one of his better movies. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

Well, if he liked the series otherwise, he could try some of the books that are tied in to the Dark Tower series like Insomnia, Everything's Eventual (stories), Hearts in Atlantis (the story Low Men in Yellow Coats), Bag of Bones and The Stand. Here is a link that shows the ties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)#Connections_to_King.27s_other_works

Edited by 6packofun

I think we all were! :tongue_smilie:

I second The Stand, but I also recommend The Eyes of the Dragon. I recommend that to everyone, even those who hate his other books. It's more of a fairy tale than anything else, and it's set in Delain (from the Dark Tower books).

Looking for spoilers. I have the last book of the series but have not had time to read it yet nor do I have time right now. Would you mind PMing me about why it was disappointing? Thanks.

I would like to get my 20 year old son a Stephen King book for Christmas. He has read the Dark Tower series and enjoyed it, although I think ultimately he was a little disappointed in the ending. He has also read his book On Writing (I believe that is the title) and I believe he has also read The Tommyknockers.

Any suggestions on a Stephen King book or series?

Thanks for any help,

Margaret

If he liked the Dark Tower Series, then he should like 'The Talisman' and 'Black House.' The two go together and they are fantastic. Scary, but also full of fantasy, a lot like the Dark Tower Series. Also, 'In the Eyes of the Dragon' (it may be Eye, not sure), is a very good book.

Confused about your answer. As far as I know, The Green Mile was published in series but not as part of a collection of short stories. Also, I believe the movie was an academy award winner. I realize that doesn't make it a good movie but it was one of his better movies. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

I meant the book "IT" was made into a shoddy made for tv movie-sorry to be confusing. You are correct about The Green Mile as well. I am taking too much medication...seriously I baked all day and am frazzled. Have you read the new short story collection? Just After Sunset...so good it warrants doing no housework,no school just a bag of M and M's and Stephen...

I meant the book "IT" was made into a shoddy made for tv movie-sorry to be confusing. You are correct about The Green Mile as well. I am taking too much medication...seriously I baked all day and am frazzled. Have you read the new short story collection? Just After Sunset...so good it warrants doing no housework,no school just a bag of M and M's and Stephen...

You are right about "IT". Some of his books just should not be made into movies. I do have the new book but I have not had time to read it. I acutally have all of his books as he is my favorite author but I have not had the chance to read about the last five. I keep buying them though. When I retire, I plan to do nothing but sit and read all these books that I have aquired over the years but haven't had time to read.