Menu

How long can I leave dogs out in 20 degree weather?

I leave my dog out in the winter until he asks to come in. Often, he will lie in the snow keeping an eye on things when it is less than 20 degrees. (He goes out when he asks to go out -- this is a totally dog-driven situation.)

I never leave him outside when I go somewhere in the winter, though. (In the summer, I leave the sliding glass door open so he can come in and out as he pleases.)

RC

not that we have many 20 degree times in TX :D but we operate pretty much lik RC --dog driven. I'll check on her every couple hours and see if she'd LIKE to come in ;)

The weather would play a part too: wet? windy? dry?

I wouldn't leave them out overnight in it, but generally the bigger the dog the better they can fare.

It is usually in the 40's and 30's in the winter. Right now it is in the 20's and might go lower. I have 2 English Springer Spaniels. How long can I leave them out in the yard at a time in this temperature?

Same thing here -- my dogs let me know when they want to come and go. Of course, they can't all get together and do it at the same time. So it seems like I spend most of the day playing "doorman." :lol:

It's in the 20s here now, too, and the two big ones are out taking a nap in the driveway. Since it's snowing, too, I kind of expected something other than a bored look when I called them to come in. :001_huh:

I guess there is something to be said for a nice fur coat. :lol:

I have a smooth coat collie mix and he can only tolerate the current 20 degree weather long enough to go potty. He hates being outside unless it is warm and sunny. When we go camping in 50-60 degree nighttime lows, I have to cover him with a blanket because he starts shivering uncontrollably. Basically, if I'm cold I know he's cold too.

So, it depends on the dog. I would only leave a heavy coated dog that's designed for cold weather (like sled dogs) outside for more than a few minutes unless they really wanted to be out.

The American Kennel Club has some good guidelines and suggests not leaving a dog outside for long, in part because their ears, tail, and feet can get frostbite.

Edited by joannqn

As long as they have adequate shelter, they can be left out in all but the most severe weather. We found that our dog house got perhaps a little too warm in the winter time with three dogs (now two dogs and one pygmy goat) in there and both side doors closed. The kids said they could go in there with the dogs and take their coats off and be very toasty. If there's snow, that provides insulation and it will be warmer than if there is no snow and a bitter wind.

Our Schnoodle gets hard packed lumps of snow in his foot pads after just a few minutes, so for him it is a quick business trip or a short romp with the children and back inside. Our goats and sheep are crying in the barn today because we don't want to let them out into the cold wind. We aren't used to these cold temps, brrrr