Menu

Please tell me! Do I need a landline to use the fax on my printer?

however....you can go through another service that converts it for you....(charges a fee).

Have you tried scanning the document....and attaching it to an email...that is what I do. My scanning software converts all my documents into a pdf file....which is great for printing and clarity.

Tammy

Thanks, Tammy. This is for a court who prefers to do business by fax, rather than by phone, and certainly not via email. I want to fax requests that I type up on the computer, from the computer. But I just got rid of my landline yesterday, and I'm not going to sign up for it again.

I am so frustrated. High tech everything, and still if I want to fax something, I have to have a landline. Don't need it in order to have DSL, but need it to send a fax. This does not make sense to me.

Does the fact that the printer is wireless change anything?

Thanks,

RC

Wireless just means that you can print from any computer that you have the printer driver on. We love that feature! Hubby and I can both print from the same printer without having to connect the wire to the computers. It just hooks into the wireless router.

Do you have a wireless internet card from somewhere like Verizon? That will fit into most wireless printers, but I don't have one so I don't know exactly how it works. I know there is a way that some cell phones can connect to laptops, so maybe it will work on your printer too?.

Here's what I'm going to try -- hopefully it will work.

There is still one phone line going into my house, which the DSL runs off of.

I am going to buy a duplex wall jack adapter at Radio Shack. I will plug it into the wall jack. Then I'll plug the modem into one of the duplex jacks. I'll plug the DSL splitter into the other duplex jack, and stick the printer's phone cord into that.

Hopefully that will work. It makes sense to me, and unless Verizon has figured out a way to run a dedicated non-phone service DSL line into a building, it will work.

If I ever get off the computer, I will try plugging a phone in the jack where the modem is to see if I get a dial tone. I wonder if I will, since I no longer have a phone number -- that may be the sticking point with this plan of mine.

I'm not going to call Verizon about this only because their party line will be to sell me a second phone line. They about had a hissy fit when they found out I have a modem and router that I did not buy from them.

RC