Menu

algebra for a young 12 year old

pjssully

Looking for a suggestion for Alegbra 1 for a 12 year old. She started Saxon and though she has been getting A's on her tests, she hates it. it has begun to take too long for each lesson and she hates the constant review. She and I talked and she would prefer more of a mastery program. We have VideoText but i am a bit nervous about using this-not sure why. Any opinions?

thanks

pam

progress.gif

Although there are many who would differ... my 12 yo was doing Saxon PreAlg and making all A's. I tested her and placed her into TT Alg 1. It's been a great fit. So if your child is in Saxon Alg 1, my guess would be TT

Alg 2 would be the proper placement. I've also heard great things about Chalkdust, but it's more costly than TT so that was a factor for us.

Connie

Like Cleo's ds, my dd liked Lial's at 12. We didn't have the DVDs, though, and she got stuck somewhere because the writing alone wasn't enough anymore. She hates my way of math, so I don't teach her.

We did switch to Dolciani for a review after trying TT (she didn't like TT, and it's not my favourite for a mathy child who may major in science or math). At 13 she likes the 1965 Dolciani Algebra 1. I'm not sure if she likes it better than Lial's, but it teaches better for a student who learns math by reading the text, I love the proofs and she actually checks her work. I think it's written better than Lial's, and since she (like me when I was her age) learns it best by reading, that is important for us. We also use Gelfand's, but I wouldn't recommend that before 13 unless you have a dc who likes doing really long hard problems. It's great for theory (knowing why you do what you do in arithmetic & Algebra). We use Charon's pdf solution guide for Gelfand's when dd is stuck because, again, it's not my way ;).

• 1 month later...
begun to take too long for each lesson and she hates the constant review.

We stayed with the Saxon Algebra-1 at 12.

If it takes to long I would think she needs more practice in order to be able to do the problems more quickly, with more facility and ease.

If the review is that easy, it should go quickly too.

I would think she's in a good program, that you've found something she needs to work on because she's not that fast with the problems yet.

Could it be she needs the practice in order to make mastery on the lessons? :confused:

We had lots of success with Jacobs Algebra. My son recently finished the book at age 12.5. We tried VideoText in the middle of Jacobs because I had this idea that it might be better and after a dismal time went back to Jacobs and it was like a breath of fresh air.

We stayed with the Saxon Algebra-1 at 12.

If it takes to long I would think she needs more practice in order to be able to do the problems more quickly, with more facility and ease.

If the review is that easy, it should go quickly too.

I would think she's in a good program, that you've found something she needs to work on because she's not that fast with the problems yet.

Could it be she needs the practice in order to make mastery on the lessons? :confused:

We stayed with Saxon Algebra when ds was 11yo.

Looking for a suggestion for Alegbra 1 for a 12 year old. She started Saxon and though she has been getting A's on her tests, she hates it. it has begun to take too long for each lesson and she hates the constant review. She and I talked and she would prefer more of a mastery program.

What exactly does she hate about it? Is it the really the length of the lessons or the style of the program? If she's interested in more of a discovery-approach there's always Art of Problem Solving. There's less busy work (i.e. practice problems) but more thinking involved.

Our dd enjoyed working on Videotext at age 11. It starts with pre-algebra materials, so it gentles the students into algebra. It is challenging and thought provoking. Our dd did not like Saxon either. It had too much review and not enough new material, even though we skipped our way through it. And it was too straight forward for her way of thinking. She needed something that really tested her understanding and engaged her.

My then-9/10 yo used CD Alg I last year after using pre-alg. the year before while she was in school. If your daughter is bored, Dana Moseley's lectures might be a good antidote, as they are surprisingly engaging. I even find myself sucked in to the lectures. As per his suggestion, my daughter does every other odd in Alg. I and II and every odd problem in geometry. She works independently but according to my schedule.

You can get a free or low-cost sample DVD from Chalkdust so she can try it out.

Terri

Looking for a suggestion for Alegbra 1 for a 12 year old. She started Saxon and though she has been getting A's on her tests, she hates it. it has begun to take too long for each lesson and she hates the constant review. She and I talked and she would prefer more of a mastery program. We have VideoText but i am a bit nervous about using this-not sure why. Any opinions?

thanks

pam

progress.gif

Have you looked at Life of Fred Beginning Algebra with the Home Companion?

We have just finished the first two books and had a long chat with the great guy who writes these and that is our plan.

. . . and doing very well with the University of California College Prep open access course: http://www.ucopenaccess.org/course/view.php?id=35

He started the course last acedemic year right around his 10th birthday.

Do you use this as a guest? or do you have to pay? How does it work? Will it count for high school credit? It looks very interesting.

• 4 weeks later...