Menu

Anyone lost a back molar? Did you get an implant or just leave it empty?

I had a root canal done in my backmost molar about 7 years ago. It's infected again and the endodontist thinks the tooth might be cracked. If so, there's nothing he can do. (He's going to dig around in the tooth next week to see if he sees a crack.)

An implant would cost $3000 .... or I could just live without that tooth.

Any ideas/experience?

I'm missing 3 molars in the back, the last two on the bottom right and the third from the end on the top left. One might be noticeable when I smile, but it doesn't bother me. I don't have to look at it. LOL

I've never had any problems with chewing or anything.

I have. I didn't get an implant and it's not even noticeable really (not the very back one, but next to it). I have a very small mouth though (after that one, I had all 4 wisdom and 3 others removed for braces). There was a gap, but the braces closed it up just fine. Sure I would have liked to keep it, but I don't have any regrets if that helps :D

I had one of my back most molars pulled a few years ago. All 4 never really came in all the way because my mouth was too small. The one tooth had become infected because it's hard to keep a tooth clean that is only partially out of the gums.

I have no problems not having this tooth and am much happier since it's been removed. I really need to get the other 3 pulled. There's nothing wrong with them right now other than they are only half in. I just never have the time.

I had the same problem and chose to have my tooth pulled and had a bridge put in. (A crown on tooth next to it with a fake tooth attached to fill the hole). I am happier with it than I thought I would be. It also cost a lot less than an implant.

I had one of my back most molars pulled a few years ago. All 4 never really came in all the way because my mouth was too small. The one tooth had become infected because it's hard to keep a tooth clean that is only partially out of the gums.

I have no problems not having this tooth and am much happier since it's been removed. I really need to get the other 3 pulled. There's nothing wrong with them right now other than they are only half in. I just never have the time.

My dd had this problem and the dentist removed the gum that was covering the tooth. He burned it off - I know there is a fancier word for it, but I am too tired to think. He recommended it so that food would not get trapped under the gum and cause the tooth to decay. It was fast, cheap, and a lot less painful than having a tooth removed.

When the endodontist told me I might lose that tooth, I cried. It made me feel so old. Then he told me about his volunteer work in Nicaragua and how no child over the age of 12 had a full set of teeth. Sobering.

I'm glad to hear from so many of you that a back molar is no big deal.

$3,000 for one implant is pretty steep... the going rate is usually $1k per implant. (Wanna know how I know? I'm missing 9 teeth. I had 5 implants placed incorrectly, 5 implants removed... TMJ surgery, braces for the 2nd time, and about to have 4-5 implants placed again, after a bone graft. The costs are from work done in Arkansas and No. VA, but maybe they're cutting me a deal because I need so MUCH work!).

The only potential down side to not replacing the tooth is bone loss in your jaw -- it may, or may not compromise the tooth next to it (over time, that is), but I'm leaning towards the probably not answer.

I doubt that you'll miss the one tooth way back there, or that having it missing will cause you anywhere near the issues I have... but then, I'm a study case to be read about in journals of dentistry:tongue_smilie: (praying none of my children have inherited MY issues...)

• Like 1

I am so sorry for all your dental problems -- it sure puts things in perspective for me in that it could be a lot worse.

The endodontist said it would be $3000 for an implant "by the time you're done" -- meaning with the crown and other work that would required.

From all the posts here, I'm leaning toward just having the tooth pulled if he finds a crack.

My understanding is that the tooth above or below will keep growing. My husband just got an implant, it was $1400 for the implant and abutment (sp?) and $750 for the tooth (from reg. dentist.) That was cheap. We have a friend who is friends with the Phildaphia Flyers' maxillofacial surgeon and he gave us a deal.

My understanding is that the tooth above or below will keep growing. My husband just got an implant, it was $1400 for the implant and abutment (sp?) and $750 for the tooth (from reg. dentist.) That was cheap. We have a friend who is friends with the Phildaphia Flyers' maxillofacial surgeon and he gave us a deal.

It doesn't "grow' per-se, but instead "super erupts." My adult lower teeth came up higher to meet my baby teeth -- my original braces allowed for this, because that was the only way for my teeth to meet, and no one was "fixing" my problem back then. But during the past 7 years, when the teeth have been completely gone, the only thing that has changed is that my upper jaw bone has receded noticeably -- nothing noticeable happened to the bottom teeth.

It is worth asking the dentist, about the super-eruption issue, as teeth do continue to move and adjust forever... but I'm pretty sure your top molar isn't going to "grow" or super erupt of it's socket to try to meet the missing bottom tooth.

I am so sorry for all your dental problems -- it sure puts things in perspective for me in that it could be a lot worse.

The endodontist said it would be $3000 for an implant "by the time you're done" -- meaning with the crown and other work that would required.

From all the posts here, I'm leaning toward just having the tooth pulled if he finds a crack.

Thanks -- it has been an ordeal, and I've never considered myself squeamish about these kinds of things. However, just thinking about having surgery (for a bone graft) in 3 months, followed by the abutment placement surgery in about 6, is enough to make my heart race erratically (and honestly, the original surgery wasn't horrible to recover from)

I watch my children's dental development very carefully -- because I don't want them to go through everything I have (or ummm PAY for everything I've had to -- we're talking more than we spent on our New Mercury Villager for oral surgeries when everything is said and done). I have one son who is missing at least one front tooth, no word on the wisdom teeth yet, and a daughter who will be getting an upper and lower pallete expander in 2009.

Although, honestly, if it were me, after everything, I'd still probably replace the tooth. :D

It's funny. 7 years ago when I had the root canal, I asked my endodontist about options. When he mentioned losing the tooth, he said, "but that's an awfully large gap to have," and when I look in my mouth, he's right. Gee, that's a big tooth!

Fast forward to yesterday. He said he had the exact same thing happen to him this year - root canal, crown, crack, lost tooth. Yes, the dentist himself!

He didn't have an implant - he has an empty spot. But he said that you can have an implant done at any time if you change your mind. There's no rush.

With that in mind, I'm still leaning toward trying to live without it.

If he doesn't see a crack and thinks it can be retreated, I'll do that.

When I had a molar extracted, the dentist's concern was that my other teeth would eventually shift. It might feel fine now (although, to me, the hole felt HUGE), but you're looking at 30+ years of a big gap in your mouth. I'd rather deal with it now than later.

I did try for the implant, which was about $3k w/bridge, etc, but I was one of the few failures. The success rate is really high, though, over 90%, and I would recommend it for most people.

He did the bridge instead. A few months later, it still feels a little odd sometimes, but much less so than the gaping hole that used to be there!

• Like 1

When I had a molar extracted, the dentist's concern was that my other teeth would eventually shift. It might feel fine now (although, to me, the hole felt HUGE), but you're looking at 30+ years of a big gap in your mouth. I'd rather deal with it now than later.

I did try for the implant, which was about $3k w/bridge, etc, but I was one of the few failures. The success rate is really high, though, over 90%, and I would recommend it for most people.

He did the bridge instead. A few months later, it still feels a little odd sometimes, but much less so than the gaping hole that used to be there!

I know the answer is probably "yes", but did you have to pay $3000 for a failed implant?

Another question.....what do they bridge to with a back molar? There's only a tooth on one side...I thought you needed a tooth on either side.

I had a root canal done in my backmost molar about 7 years ago. It's infected again and the endodontist thinks the tooth might be cracked. If so, there's nothing he can do. (He's going to dig around in the tooth next week to see if he sees a crack.)

Any ideas/experience?

The back ones that have gone bad I had pulled and never noticed -- wisdom teeth and the like. A few years ago, though, I had a problem with one "in the middle" and before I could blink, the dentist pulled it -- no discussion. I didn't think much about it at the time -- and there's no money here for bridges and goodies like that anyway.

Fast forward a couple of years and the one above it is lowered a bit, but that doesn't bother me. Gotta be careful eating "sharp" things, though. :D

I wouldn't do anything differently, though, and definitely wouldn't get an implant. It's just too expensive.

I had the same thing happen. Failed root canal plus two failed apecoectomies (sp?) (too gross to explain but it involves cutting into the gums above the tooth), and then finally it was too much trouble and it was pulled. There was not a crack in it, but rather the sinuses were exposed above the tooth, and any infection in there got in my tooth. It is the second molar (third from the back), and there is a hole there. Implants are very expensive, and the dentist we go to has had a hole in his mouth since we met him so apparently they are not necessary. It is something that you can always do later.

• 4 years later...
Guest yipingjiang

I have had my 2nd lower left molar extracted a few weeks ago and I just had it implanted today. It cost me $1000 for the root and $250 for the crown. I did it this in quite a hurry and had little time to research about it because I have to go abroad in three months. My 2nd lower right molar is crowned, I'm afraid it's not stable enough to do all the chewing, so I decided to have an implant. I think having it implanted or not depends on the circumstances of individual. If you're happy with an empty whole in your mouth, then so be it. My mom has 2nd lower left molar tooth, doesn't bother her at all. And you can always get it done when you want it, no rush. By the way, it's 5am and I'm still bleeding from the surgery. I've woke up twice tonight to spit out my clotting blood. I bleeded over two cups of blood and really don't know what to do. I've also run out of sterilized compressor, left with 1 last in my mouth. Can't call my destist at this time, and I'm not a very big fan of blood too. The last time I cut my finger, I was shaking quite tremendously.

I had a back bottom tooth pulled two years ago.  At the time, we had no money for an implant, so I let it go.  It was kind of depressing at first, but I got used to it.  We now have some spare money in our health savings account, so I'm going to have it done soon.  My DH and I were just talking about this, that we've got some money that we need to use or the government gets.   I'm still probably only going to get the implant this year, but I may have to put the crown portion off for another year still.  

When the endodontist told me I might lose that tooth, I cried. It made me feel so old. Then he told me about his volunteer work in Nicaragua and how no child over the age of 12 had a full set of teeth. Sobering.

I'm glad to hear from so many of you that a back molar is no big deal.

I cried, too, when I was told I needed to have it pulled.  It all happened so fast.  I went to my dentist, and he told me I needed to have it done, and made an appointment with the tooth-extraction guy for the NEXT DAY! 

I've had all 4 wisdom teeth plus the top back molar on each side pulled.  Never had any issues with them missing. I actually wish I could get the dentist to pull the lower ones too. I think that would decrease a lot of my headaches and jaw pain.

• 8 months later...
Guest drachir555

I just got my 1st upper left molar extracted, because it had a filling and there were two cracks in it. It was infected, but the root canal was skipped because the tooth wasn't worth saving - and for good reason! When the oral surgeon tried to extract it, the stupid thing kept on breaking into pieces. By the time he was done, there were 6 shards removed from where that old molar was giving me grief.

I sort of left it empty.

At this point i don't miss it, although it does take some getting used to. I will try to live without it although I did replace it with a bone graft, just in case I decide to get an implant some time time in the future. Getting a graft is also a good reason, especially with the upper teeth in order to prevent the sinus cavities from creeping in (which is likely to happen if these is bone loss).   :thumbup1:

Guest drachir555

I have had my 2nd lower left molar extracted a few weeks ago and I just had it implanted today. It cost me $1000 for the root and $250 for the crown. I did it this in quite a hurry and had little time to research about it because I have to go abroad in three months. My 2nd lower right molar is crowned, I'm afraid it's not stable enough to do all the chewing, so I decided to have an implant. I think having it implanted or not depends on the circumstances of individual. If you're happy with an empty whole in your mouth, then so be it. My mom has 2nd lower left molar tooth, doesn't bother her at all. And you can always get it done when you want it, no rush. By the way, it's 5am and I'm still bleeding from the surgery. I've woke up twice tonight to spit out my clotting blood. I bleeded over two cups of blood and really don't know what to do. I've also run out of sterilized compressor, left with 1 last in my mouth. Can't call my destist at this time, and I'm not a very big fan of blood too. The last time I cut my finger, I was shaking quite tremendously.

Wow. That's a lot of blood. I took me about 24 hrs to stop beeding from just an extraction, and I have no blood clotting disorders. It's probably because I have such a messy extraction. The tooth came out in 6 pieces!  

I hope you recovered ok.

Guest Frances Frances

I was born with no wisdom teeth and only one large adult molar on each side, top and bottom. On the bottom left, I had only a baby molar and an adult molar which needed a root canal and which got abscessed and needed to be pulled, along with the baby molar. So I have no molars on the bottom left side. I've been putting off getting the implant process started because I can't even afford a CAT scan (two dentists have told me I may need a bone graft). So I've been at least two years now chewing on the right side of my mouth only. On top of that, the bottom right is also a root canal that had to be re-treated recently. Lucky that I have health insurance, otherwise I probably would have lost that one too.

I'm 34 years old.. I have no interest in dentures, even partial ones. But the cost of implants even after insurance is just ridiculous. 

This whole thing has been such an ordeal. I have to try to scrape up enough cash to get this CAT scan done, at long last, and then probably get ready to get a $3000 bone graft, so I can get a $1500 implant and a $2300 crown.

In case you're wondering where I live where prices are so steep.. New York City. Surprised? Ugh.

• 1 year later...
I had my furthest end 2 bottom and 1 upper Molars pulled. So my furthest end Molar at the top is shifting downward as there is no longer a tooth at the bottom to block it.

My dentist recommend doing another implant at the bottom but I prefer to have the upper Molar pulled as well because I very bad experience with my previous implant which cause me so much suffering and was removed due to bone lost. I didn’t want to go thru this again. Not to mention I had food struck issue between the upper 2 remaining molars. Getting the last one removed will solve this issue.

Since it is at the furthest end Molar, there should not have any eruption issue right? Especially when I have already have all my 4 wisdom tooth removed without replacement and never had any issue.

But is it fine to have only 1 Molar left at the end of each row?

I would get the implant if at all possible.  In time and with passing years, that missing tooth will allow your teeth to shift and can change the shape and appearance of your entire jaw.

Any ideas/experience?

• 6 years later...