Menu

math curricula

Guest suziemac

Guest suziemac

Hello,

My 8 yo DS is in third grade but goes to fifth grade for math. This year the scheduling has worked out but it may not work out next year and after next year, he will need to do middle school math. It may be possible for him to go to the middle school to do math but it looks like I would have to drive him every day. He is not in a GT program because he is in a dual language Spanish program and he and we prefer to stay in that program for the extra challenges it provides and for the opportunity to be bilingual and biliterate. Driving him to the middle school every day would be a considerable strain and I'm not sure I want him at a middle school when he's a young 5th grader.

I'm researching curricula and self-paced programs so that he could do math on his own (with teacher and parent guidance as needed). His school is very open to looking at all sorts of options so there are no problems there.

I have looked at k12.org and Stanford's EPGY programs. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for anything you can share.

We use both K12 (at the moment, we're disenrolling, though) and EPGY. I would HIGHLY recommend EPGY. There are placement test requirements, but if he qualifies, DO IT! :)

DS11 is able to log on by himself, and the time on the computer is timed. It turns itself 'off' once he has completed 20 minutes (or there about). It uses a whole different way of teaching, which is geared towards a mathematically gifted mind.

And... if you do look into it further, ask about the financial aid. We got a substantial scholarship, and I wasn't sure we would.