Menu

Lively Latin or Latin for Children

Tiramisu

That was a hard decision for us last year. It really helped me to print out the sample information for each program and go through it pretty carefully. Someone else characterized these two programs and pointed out that LfC covers more vocabulary (and maybe grammar too) and has less writing. LL includes more cultural information. After much consideration, LfC looked like a better fit for us. My 8 yo dd has a super memory and after playing around with Latin for awhile with Prima Latina and Minimus, we were ready to really dive into grammar. It's also "open and go"--no work printing stuff out or getting on the computer. LfC has turned out to be my girls' favorite subject this year. They really like the DVD and they love to chant around the house. And their retention is excellent (esp. the 8 yo). We just finished ch. 10, the second review chapter, and she knew every word. I made nice little charts to help me learn the 2nd declension endings, but she said she doesn't need the charts because she already knows them (and she does!). But do look at the materials and decide which approach fits your learner best. I think both are excellent programs.

My dd (just turned 9) is doing well in LfC B and is very happy. B is more challenging than A, especially with grammar, but she is still happy ( and that says a lot). We had already started LfC A when LL came around so I can't comment on LL but we are happy where we are.

Carolyn

I struggled between these two. Granted LL did not have a print copy available when I made my choice and that was one of the deciding factors.

We chose LFC and have been delighted. I read EVERY Latin thread on this board and LFC was described as fun more often than any other.

I have been well pleased with our choice. I bought myself a workbook to also go through the program. My ds is a wiggly auditory learner and it has been great for him. We march through the houses while we practice our chants.

My ds has decided that he wants to learn more romance languages and I think that speaks well of the product, that it has encouraged my son to want to learn more. :D

CAP products just click with my son. We play to continue with LFC and pick up some of their other products as well.

I've only used LFC but can report that my son LOVES it. Latin has gone from a dreaded subject (with Prima Latina) to one he actually thinks about outside of school - even chanting and asking for additional vocabulary words outside of school.

One other thing - I initially got LFC without the DVD/CD combo. It just seemed too expensive and I thought we could do without. Well my OCD kicked in regarding pronunciation and I broke down and bought the DVD/CD combo just for the CD even though I thought it was pricey. The DVD has now become the highlight of the program and well worth the money. I highly reccomend the DVD if you use the progra. We'll certainly be purchasing it with levels B and C in the future.

How Christian-based is LfC?

Tara

The first maxim to memorize is a bible verse, John 1:1, but the rest of the program has few religious references (I can't even think of any off the top of my head). We have done LfC A and are now into LfC B.

Carolyn