Menu

Duke talent search

margoargo

I will use the Princeton Review and practice tests as well. I have found that much of the material is already familiar though our use of SWB WTMind . The trick it seems is to be able to see the best answer not merely the right one as there are often two answers that appear to be likely. Timed, frequent practice tests are crucial to success for this and all other standardized testing especially those for professional school-GRE,GMAT, LSAT and MCAT. I have taken them all and tutored others as well. Practice tests are the best way to prepare .

I'll look into getting some books. Just not sure what to expect -she's only 12 (13 in Dec.). I like the idea of her getting the exposure, but don't want to stress her.

The point of the SAT through a talent search isn't to ace it, but the SAT in particular (and I think to a lesser extent the ACT too) has kind of a distinctive question style... That's what I'd want to focus on -- what sorts of questions they ask, and what sorts of strategies you can use to answer them. And then make sure to tell her, as many times as it takes to sink in, that she is expected to miss a lot. No one expects a 12 year old to ace these things. :)

Hope this helps! DS might be taking his first ACT this year (we're going to do one last round with the Explore and then decide), so I'm in a similar boat. :)

My just turned 13yo is getting ready for the SAT as well. I just bought him the Princeton Review so he will be aware of what kinds of questions are asked. I did great on the SAT and GRE without even looking at a practice test so I am not all that worried about content because I figure you know what you know with those kinds of tests and he is only 13 (birthday was Sunday). I do want him to be prepared for the types of questions though so he feels prepared.