Menu

Suggestions for Books on Missionaries

If you haven't read it, The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is a good read.

I have not read squat. :D I'm adding that to my list!

Gladys Alward's bio is neat. Can't remember the actual title.

Through Gates of Splendor is about Jim Elliot and his martyrdom among the Auca peoples.

Dd liked Missionary Stories with the Millers. She actually LOVED it. Screen if you want to read them before bedtime, tho.

They're actually for myself, so thanks for the recommendations! I've heard great things about the Millers from CMama, too.

LOVED Shadow of the Almighty: the Life and Testament of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot.

Peace Child by Don Richardson was interesting.

From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya A Biographical History of Christian Missions by Ruth A. Tucker is supposed to be great for reference. I haven't read it all, but it may give you a great starting point to find people you'd like to read about further. It takes you through a timeline of missionaries beginning with the time of the New Testament.

oops, Amie is correct with the title of Elisabeth Elliot's biography of her hubby.

Also, netflix has the original footage of the missionary attempt with the Auca's, narrated by Elisabeth herself. It is riveting and affecting, and such a blessing. Only 25 mins or so, too, so easy to see when you don't have much time.

oops, Amie is correct with the title of Elisabeth Elliot's biography of her hubby.

Also, netflix has the original footage of the missionary attempt with the Auca's, narrated by Elisabeth herself. It is riveting and affecting, and such a blessing. Only 25 mins or so, too, so easy to see when you don't have much time.

Actually, you were sort of right as well. Elisabeth Elliot wrote Through Gates of Splendor (sometime before the biography) to tell the story of the missionaries who went to the Auca Indians (followed by the sequel Beyond Gates of Splendor)--also great books. I really loved Shadow of the Almighty though, as it was more in depth in telling the story of his life and what lead to the incident with the Aucas.

by Isobel Kuhn. It's the story of a missionary family in China during the beginning years of the People's Revolution. Almost a cross between a bio and a devotional, it's so uplifting and inspiring.

Another two I just thought of that are immensely interesting are the story of Billy Graham's FIL and MIL, the parents of Ruth Bell Graham, "Foreign Devil in China" or something quite like that, and "Doctor of Tanganyika" by Paul White. (Includes some rather graphic health-related stuff, but fascinating.)

Anthing about Mary Slessor is good as well.

So glad to see this thread, books about/by missionaries is on my 9/9/9 list this year, I'm gonna subscribe to this thread to keep track of the titles suggested.

That's what I'm doing, too!

I was bummed b/c earlier when I checked our library a lot of the titles weren't available. I'm going to check some of the more recent answers. If not, I may have to invest in some of the highly recommended titles.

Thank you all!

I recently finished "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret". He was a missionary to China and an amazing person. Here are two paragraphs from a letter he wrote to his sister:

"I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize this; for He, I know, is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where he places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest position He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult His grace is sufficient. It little matters to my servant whether I send him to buy a few cash worth of things, or the most expensive articles. In either case he looks to me for the money and brings me his purchases.

So, if God should place me in serious perplexity, must He not give me much guidance; in positions of great difficulty, much grace; in circumstances of great pressure and trial, much strength? No fear that His resources will prove unequal to the emergency! And His resources are mine, for He is mine, and is with me and dwells in me."

What faith!

Chelle

My dd loved Hero Tales ...but it is a love it or hate it kind of series.

We have read George Muller from the series Christian Heroes: Then & Now. I second the recommendation made by a previous poster, the series is great. We read the one about George Muller several times and it was such a blessing. However, I have heard that you need to pick them carefully for the younger ones as some of the stories are graphic.

I was bummed b/c earlier when I checked our library a lot of the titles weren't available. I'm going to check some of the more recent answers. If not, I may have to invest in some of the highly recommended titles.

Thank you all!

Try your church library. They are more likely to carry lots of Christian titles.

Thank you all!

Request them!! I request that they buy Christian books all the time. If no one asks, they never will. :)