Menu

Does anyone use Analytical Grammar?

Basketmaker Amy

is that your student does the practice pages (or whatever they call them) and can remove those and at the very end of the program, end up with a booklet of all the grammar "stuff" they'll need.

What I haven't liked (and probably don't really know enough about grammar to sort out) is that some of the terminology isn't the same as what I (we) learned in Easy Grammar (and maybe Shurley, but don't quote me!).

Minor point --- so far, I've liked it. Dh is a linguist and he completely agrees with her approach that you don't have to keep beating grammar into their heads --- just learn it and review it and move on --- it's a finite subject!

Amy, I am using it with my 15 year old. For us, it is the best grammar program in the world! With my prejudice statement out of the way *?*

AG uses a multi sensory approach to teach the grammar. My daughter is not just learning grammar but learning to "think" about the grammar. They lay out of the book, the daily review of the previous lesson is great! I can?t say enough about it.

Have you been able to look around the site much? I was a bit overwhelmed with all the extra information they have, but its worth it.

Lisa

Analytical Grammar website is http://www.analyticalgrammar.com. The videos at the website are wonderful for learning about the program. We are using Analytical Grammar for 6th-7th-8th grade. 6th grade has 10 weeks of daily grammar work (parts of speech and diagramming), then review 1x every 2 weeks. 7th grade has 7 weeks of daily grammar work (phrases and clauses), then review 1x every month. 8th grade has 17 weeks of daily grammar work (punctuation) and then you are done. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well. We have completed Season 1 and are reviewing the rest of the year.

Pros:

? Clear and concise

? Pick up and go (little to no preparation required from mom)

? Teach lesson on first day of week and student can work on their own for rest of week. Only checking/correcting required from mom.

? Each lesson has a theme (American flag, humorous Johnny Carson story, women & math, Mexican-Americans, Martin Luther King Jr., Jewish Americans, fairy tales, etc.) which makes the lessons more interesting.

? Sentences are much more complex than Shurley grammar

? Novelty of getting a letter grade on test

? Comfort of letter grade for perfectionist mom (ds is missing some but still getting an A)

? Student book turns into a reference manual when you remove student exercises.

Cons:

? None that I have found

? Some say it?s expensive. I spent $120 but will use it over 3 years.

Disclaimer: I have a master?s degree in Operations Research, which is concerned with all things efficiency. Part of the reason I love AG is that it is the most efficient use of my time and my child?s time. This leaves time for other wonderful things like math, history, music, and sports! I suppose if you are a good teacher and you teach grammar year after year after year, you learn to make your lessons more and more efficient. That must be with the author, Robin Finley, did.

I tried Analytical Grammar with my dds 7th and 9th grades this year. The program looked awesome and I was totally sold on it after seeing it at a curriculum fair. My girls however did not like it at all. I consider them very strong in grammar. It it loaded with diagramming and very complex diagramming. If that is a strength of your kids, they may do well. We found it to be too much for us. I know others do well with this program but it wasn't a good fit for us.

HTH

It is effective--I've used it with my 7th and 9th grader. In fact, we did it as a very intensive summer course and refer back to it when writing, etc. There are typos and other sorts of errors in the book which was particularly disconcerting given the subject matter but it didn't get in the way of learning.

Hi --

I am using this program with my son (9th grade). He doesn't like it, but that's because he just doesn't like grammar -- if he had his way he would be doing nothing but science. He *is* doing well with it, though. And I like it because even though I haven't done grammar in more years than I'd like to think about, it's coming back to me quickly, too, so I don't feel out of the loop.

Good luck!

AG uses a multi sensory approach to teach the grammar. My daughter is not just learning grammar but learning to "think" about the grammar. They lay out of the book, the daily review of the previous lesson is great! I can?t say enough about it.

Lisa

I heartily agree. AG has been our best homeschool purchase of all time. It's WONDERFUL!!

Heather

Sue, Do you feel the need to do both Oxford Latin & AG?

I was hoping that Latin could help us by-pass the formal study of English grammar. My dc also get a fair amount of grammar work done in the context of their writing assignments . I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!!

Yes, I feel the need to do both AG and Oxford Latin. We even got through Matin Latin 1 & 2 and Shurley Grammar 5 before this. AG is clear and concise. I wish I hadn't spent as much time as I have on grammar before now. We have finished the 1st "season" of AG. It was no problem for ds. The diagramming was helpful. The 2nd season is on phrases and clauses and we haven't seen that in Latin yet. The 3rd season is on punctuation, which wouldn't be covered in Latin.

I like that grammar is attacked from 2 different angles. I have heard of people who by-pass the formal study of English grammar in favor of Latin. I am not relaxed enough to be able to do that :eek: