Menu

Shout out to Nurses who Homeschool

How many of us are there here? I am an ICU RN. I used to work full time, but six months ago made the change to part time agency work. I just picked up a contract at one facility to work 2 12-hr day shifts per week through January 13th. After years of nightshift, this is a wonderful change for me. Dh and I share hs duties and try to work opposite days.....but we do have to find childcare sometimes, which is very difficult for us (like the Von Traps prior to Maria, we can't keep a babysitter).

So, who are you and what is your specialty?

I was clinical director of a pregnancy center before we moved to South Korea this past summer. Prior to that I've worked in trauma, CICU, MICU and the OR. I think one of the wonderful things about nursing is its versatility and the availability of jobs everywhere. I'm not working while we're living overseas. :D

I'm an RN. I can only really do very part time work when my husband is on shore duty. At this point in life and schooling it would have to be very flexible. I did do some wonderful chart review work for an NIH study a few years back, but I don't think I'll be back in the hospital anytime soon. Still, I keep my license up to date and I read my journals. I want to be able to do emergency volunteer work when needed.

Jo

How many of us are there here? I am an ICU RN. I used to work full time, but six months ago made the change to part time agency work. I just picked up a contract at one facility to work 2 12-hr day shifts per week through January 13th. After years of nightshift, this is a wonderful change for me. Dh and I share hs duties and try to work opposite days.....but we do have to find childcare sometimes, which is very difficult for us (like the Von Traps prior to Maria, we can't keep a babysitter).

While I currently am not working, my background is Trauma/Neuro ICU (Level I trauma center) with additional experience in CVICU and ER. (I gained that experience prior to having babies while working prn when I couldn't get my desired 40 hrs/week in the ICU.) A few years back, because the continuing education requirements for my field required more of my time than I cared to give in the face of homeschooling, I came out of bedside nursing and simply spent my summers serving as camp nurse for our church. Lately, I've done nothing. I need 30 hours of CE plus a legal course to activate my license.

Right now, homeschooling, renovating, and maintaining our life/home more than occupies my time. :tongue_smilie: I love what I do in nursing and miss it but not enough to change anything. I figure my babies will be grown all too quickly and I can always plug back in. Later. :)

Wow.....Nine so far. Interesting to see everyone. Thank you for posting, and it is nice meeting you all:

Sharon in SC - NC has high continuing ed requirements. I'm all for continuing ed requiremenets for RN's...but IN has zero

Wendy B. - My dh is also an RN (as his 2nd career) and will go back to it when he gets furloughed from his first career in January.

Nakia - Do you get a chance to smell the sweet newborn babies' heads when you work? I think every mother who delivered in a hospital remembers the good mother/baby nurses.

battlemaiden - How did you find the chart review gig for the NIH? that sounds interesting. Did you do it from home? Dh has done some chart review for an attorney we know.

nursewithgrace - is your dh USAF? My dh is x-USAF & was TDY to S.Korea several times (never PCS'd though). Is it cold there yet? Have you found those awesome fake mink blankets? They make great gifts (everyone in our extended family has one).

Karen FL - with an FNP you have lots of options. Do you like the psych facility work?

Jennifer - NICU scares me! I can only take care of critical adults. Every NICU nurse has my deepest admiration...its a tough job.

Cafelattee - don't discount rural hospitals. It could be an easy way to pick up some extra money. My agency has contracts with rural hospitals, so the pay per shift is great, the staff is friendly, and the patients aren't very sick. The ICU has to be staffed regardless of census, so I have been paid to sit on an empty unit and the local staff appreciates having someone with my level of experience.

Nursing is flexible and its a great career to "fall back on" because I think it is recession-proof. I am currently working on my Masters and if not for the fact that dh does half off the homeschooling, I'd never be able to do my own schooling, work part time, and school the kids. We won't even mention how my house looks!

For those of you who aren't currently active, do you think your nursing skills are like riding a bike? Do you think they'll "come right back" so to speak, if you return to nursing?

I'll try to keep track of all of us and am interested to see how many more of us there are. Thank you everyone for responding!

Wow.....Nine so far. Interesting to see everyone. Thank you for posting, and it is nice meeting you all:

Sharon in SC - NC has high continuing ed requirements. I'm all for continuing ed requiremenets for RN's...but IN has zero

Wendy B. - My dh is also an RN (as his 2nd career) and will go back to it when he gets furloughed from his first career in January.

Nakia - Do you get a chance to smell the sweet newborn babies' heads when you work? I think every mother who delivered in a hospital remembers the good mother/baby nurses.

battlemaiden - How did you find the chart review gig for the NIH? that sounds interesting. Did you do it from home? Dh has done some chart review for an attorney we know.

nursewithgrace - is your dh USAF? My dh is x-USAF & was TDY to S.Korea several times (never PCS'd though). Is it cold there yet? Have you found those awesome fake mink blankets? They make great gifts (everyone in our extended family has one).

Karen FL - with an FNP you have lots of options. Do you like the psych facility work?

Jennifer - NICU scares me! I can only take care of critical adults. Every NICU nurse has my deepest admiration...its a tough job.

Cafelattee - don't discount rural hospitals. It could be an easy way to pick up some extra money. My agency has contracts with rural hospitals, so the pay per shift is great, the staff is friendly, and the patients aren't very sick. The ICU has to be staffed regardless of census, so I have been paid to sit on an empty unit and the local staff appreciates having someone with my level of experience.

Nursing is flexible and its a great career to "fall back on" because I think it is recession-proof. I am currently working on my Masters and if not for the fact that dh does half off the homeschooling, I'd never be able to do my own schooling, work part time, and school the kids. We won't even mention how my house looks!

For those of you who aren't currently active, do you think your nursing skills are like riding a bike? Do you think they'll "come right back" so to speak, if you return to nursing?

I'll try to keep track of all of us and am interested to see how many more of us there are. Thank you everyone for responding!

Yes, I have a dear friend whom I met in the ICU when we worked together there. She's from IN and when they moved back several moons ago we compared notes. It was amazing the difference in criteria from SC to IN. :tongue_smilie:

My husband and I are both RN's. He works full time, I haven't worked as a nurse in 13 years. I am currently looking for something part time or per diem. Most of my year working were spent in ICU/CCU before becoming nurse manager of Pre-op and PACU at a large outpatient surgery center in south Florida.

I'm an RN. I currently work about 8-12 hrs a week at a pediatric office. My kids go to my mom's one day a week to do piano lessons and then do independent school work the rest of the day. I mostly do phone advice but sometimes get to work "the floor" or actually with the patients.

Edited by theodwyn

Hey fellow nurses! I haven't worked in 3 years and it feels like an eternity. I used to do MICU, SICU, OHRU and occasionally ER. Now I am the "school nurse" at our co op - for nose bleeds and hangnails and other life threatening injuries. Sometimes I miss it but mostly I don't! I do worry that I'll be totally useless if I'd ever go back. I will have to downgrade to "inactive license status" b/c I don't have a way to do CE's right now. That bothers me a bit, but this where my life is now.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Michele

6ds, 4dd, 16mo dd

I am an RN and I work one night a week on a mother baby unit! I love it!

That would be my dream job these days! I have considered going to nursing school, but at the moment it just isn't feasible.

I have been thinking about becoming a cna or an ma, and working part time, but don't know if I could work that in at the moment either.

Someday maybe!

A far cry for the music education major in college! :001_huh:

I have been an FNP for about 13 years now. I have a contract to provide medical services for all of the inpatients at a local crisis facility. We do strictly indigent care. I have to be on call 24/7 but I can always handle the issues by phone. If the patient needs medical care that urgent then we send them to the hospital since we are strictly psych.

It's not my ideal job in the world of nursing but I have the best job EVER! I go in after my dh gets off work and do what I want when I want.

I will have to downgrade to "inactive license status" b/c I don't have a way to do CE's right now. That bothers me a bit, but this where my life is now.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Michele

6ds, 4dd, 16mo dd

That is where I am, Michele, and to answer the OP's question about whether or not I worry about how things will be trying to go back in later, I don't (worry). I know that, right now, I'm supposed to be doing what I'm doing. Should the day come when I need to plug back in, I have faith to believe I'll have what I need to do what I need to do. :) (Hey, I figure if I can enter the ICU as a new grad I can enter it as a nurse with 15 years experience prior to the absence from bedside nursing!) :tongue_smilie:

I haven't worked full time in 10 yrs, but back then I did pediatric oncology and a yr or 2 doing Bone Marrow transplants. A couple yrs ago I did consultation work with a local hospital that was opening up a peds wing. I work every now and then in my husband's office (he's a pediatrician).

Hi Michelle. Did you meet your dh before or after you were a peds-onc nurse? It must be nice that you are both used to taking care of children. Personally, I don't handle it very well when one of my dc is sick. I don't know if it is because I love them so much or if I just don't do well with sick kids (I've been in various ICUs since graduating, nothing with any kid contact).

My husband and I are both RN's. He works full time, I haven't worked as a nurse in 13 years. I am currently looking for something part time or per diem. Most of my year working were spent in ICU/CCU before becoming nurse manager of Pre-op and PACU at a large outpatient surgery center in south Florida.

Hi Cindy - maybe you could look into agency nursing. It usually pays (quite a bit) more than hospital per diem, and you can pick up shifts when you want. When I first started working agency, I had to scramble to get shifts (calling 3 different agencies every day), but once they got used to using me and the facilities got to know and request me, I could pick my own schedule working as much or as little as I wanted. You could specify to the agency that you are only available when your dh is off, and only 1 shift per week. One agency I work for only requires I give one day of availability per month to stay active with them. Of course, there are disadvantages to agency nursing too....

That is where I am, Michele, and to answer the OP's question about whether or not I worry about how things will be trying to go back in later, I don't (worry). I know that, right now, I'm supposed to be doing what I'm doing. Should the day come when I need to plug back in, I have faith to believe I'll have what I need to do what I need to do. :) (Hey, I figure if I can enter the ICU as a new grad I can enter it as a nurse with 15 years experience prior to the absence from bedside nursing!) :tongue_smilie:

Good point, Sharon! I went right into ICU as a new grad, too.

I'm an RN. I currently work about 8-12 hrs a week at a pediatric office. My kids go to my mom's one day a week to do piano lessons and then do independent school work the rest of the day. I mostly do phone advice but sometimes get to work "the floor" or actually with the patients.

Hi theodwyn. I've never worked in a dr office, but every time I go, I think it would be a great job! the nurse at my kids' ped's office is awesome.

Hey fellow nurses! I haven't worked in 3 years and it feels like an eternity. I used to do MICU, SICU, OHRU and occasionally ER. Now I am the "school nurse" at our co op - for nose bleeds and hangnails and other life threatening injuries. Sometimes I miss it but mostly I don't! I do worry that I'll be totally useless if I'd ever go back. I will have to downgrade to "inactive license status" b/c I don't have a way to do CE's right now. That bothers me a bit, but this where my life is now.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Michele

6ds, 4dd, 16mo dd

Hey Scubamama (Michele)...have you thought about doing the CE's through AJN? They're not very expensive, if you want to keep your license active. I can understand going inactive though. If I weren't practicing, I'm not sure I'd even want to pay the yearly license fee ... If you go inactive and then in a few years want to reactivate, what are the requirements? Nice to meet you here. I'm surprised there are so many of us. Maybe we should have our own social group?

ETA: ANA offers free CEUs to members (and I think you can pay for the CEUs if you're nonmember). They are available online & more info can be found here http://nursingworld.org/ce/cehome.cfm.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

Hi Sharon,

I figure I'll be hired and things will come back...if they don't than that's why God gave me a mouth - to ask! ha ha... I do have days when I worry that my poor dh is doing all the money making and I'm just not contributing, but then I come to my senses. There's no way we could afford daycare here (nor would I want to put my kids in) and we did carefully think out how to be a one income family. Sometimes it's not the most fun to budget, but hey! that's life. DH has never once even when things looked desperate asked me to go back. He just puts his head down and takes on odd jobs or more hours. He's a good man.

I would like to keep my lic. active, but getting CE's would mean getting a sitter, paying the sitter, paying for the CE,etc...not worth it right now. It feels good to be secure in what I'm doing now...until I see a friend who's working and looking like thay have it all together! Thankfully, I realize that few of us have it all together, but it's taken age for me to get to that point!

Michele

I have been an FNP for about 13 years now. I have a contract to provide medical services for all of the inpatients at a local crisis facility. We do strictly indigent care. I have to be on call 24/7 but I can always handle the issues by phone. If the patient needs medical care that urgent then we send them to the hospital since we are strictly psych.

It's not my ideal job in the world of nursing but I have the best job EVER! I go in after my dh gets off work and do what I want when I want.

Nice to meet you!

FNP gives so much flexibility. Our Walmart has a walk-in clinic staffed by FNPs. I spoke with one of them and she said aside from the boredom, it is a good job with flexible hours. What do you think of the FNP/Doctorate of Nursing Practice issue?

Agency work is probably what I should try. I worked agency several years when we first moved to Florida. I went to a job fair at a small local hospital a couple of weeks ago and they treated me worse than a new grad!

For those with CE problems, I just reactivated my license after having it on inactive status for 12 years. I did an online CE course and it was fairly inexpensive and easy to do. I'm in New York and it met our infectious disease course requirements. If you want i can dig up the name of the website and you can check it out.

Agency work is probably what I should try. I worked agency several years when we first moved to Florida. I went to a job fair at a small local hospital a couple of weeks ago and they treated me worse than a new grad!

For those with CE problems, I just reactivated my license after having it on inactive status for 12 years. I did an online CE course and it was fairly inexpensive and easy to do. I'm in New York and it met our infectious disease course requirements. If you want i can dig up the name of the website and you can check it out.

Could you post it? IN has no CE requirements, but I am going to get my license in WA, which requires some HIV CE prior to licensure. I am hoping I can fulfill it through the ANA (I'm a member so CE is free - which it should be for the price of membership), but it never hurts to have more than one source. thanks!

And, FWIW, my main agency treats me great. Acting professionally goes a long ways these days and facilities request me to work more than I am able. I also don't have to worry about all the garbage that you sometimes have to deal with as a staff nurse. I just go, do my job, and go home. No unit politics, no kissing up to get vacation days. Some staff RNs are cold at first, but once they figure out that I'm actually competent and am a team player, I get along just fine. Some few agency nurses give the rest of us a bad rap.

It is kind of fun. I get tired of the phone advice sometimes, and wish that I could have more direct patient contact, but it takes longer to train someone for phone advice than for the floor, so I'm kind of stuck with it. In the summer I work more hours and get to do more on the floor.

... If you go inactive and then in a few years want to reactivate, what are the requirements? ....Maybe we should have our own social group?

[/url].

In SC, you have 5 years from the date you went inactive to get in (30?) CEUs plus take a legal course. After the 5 years without taking that step, you're faced with taking a 3 month refresher course OR the state boards again. Obviously, I don't plan to go that route! :tongue_smilie: (I have until 2013 to get the 30 CEUs in.)

Hi Sharon,

I figure I'll be hired and things will come back...if they don't than that's why God gave me a mouth - to ask!

It's funny - this was what I considered to be my ticket to success to working in critical care, especially fresh out of nursing school - the great ability to know when to ask questions! I, too, have a terrific dh. He was actually relieved when I quit working the one evening a week I was working in the name of keeping my license active. He HATED it when I would be at work instead of at home. :-D

That would be my dream job these days! I have considered going to nursing school, but at the moment it just isn't feasible.

I have been thinking about becoming a cna or an ma, and working part time, but don't know if I could work that in at the moment either.

Someday maybe!

A far cry for the music education major in college! :001_huh:

It is awesome and definitely my dream job! After working in nursing for 11 years in oncology, geriatrics, adult medicine, and women's surgery, this job is a exactly what I needed!

Oh yes, I do! It is a wonderful, and mostly joyful, place to be. The only hard part is that I live in a really high risk OB area, and we get a lot of really sick moms and some sick babies. But the good definitely outweighs the bad!

Hello,

RN here, I started in med.-surg. moved to CCU. Not currently working, because I am homeschooling and our business is busy. :D

Hi Pongo! Many RNs think that med-surg is the best place to start. I've floated over there and it is harder for me to have 4 patients with their doors closed, moving around, than it is for me to have 2 critical patients in the ICU.

Hi Pongo! Many RNs think that med-surg is the best place to start. I've floated over there and it is harder for me to have 4 patients with their doors closed, moving around, than it is for me to have 2 critical patients in the ICU.

I agree with that, I think the dressings, drains,fast turnovers and constant pain med. request, as well as keeping the family informed really takes up so much time. I never really felt like I got to know them. In CCU, I could have the same patient from a CABG for a week or longer, and it felt more personal.

Meanest Mom,

You mentioned that I have a lot of options as as FNP. I have not pursued the FNP positions. They are usually day shift positions and I don't feel comfortable putting my children in daycare so I can work as an FNP. It would be expensive too.

I do like working as an RN in the Admisions Dept. at the psychiatric hospital where I am employed. It is only two miles from my home. When I have a difficult patient it is a relief to know that I usually won't have that patient in my area for more than two hours. It's a different story though if I have to transfer a patient who needs admitting to another facility though. In that case I might have the patient for up to nine hours.

~Karen~

Meanest Mom,

You mentioned that I have a lot of options as as FNP. I have not pursued the FNP positions. They are usually day shift positions and I don't feel comfortable putting my children in daycare so I can work as an FNP. It would be expensive too.

I do like working as an RN in the Admisions Dept. at the psychiatric hospital where I am employed. It is only two miles from my home. When I have a difficult patient it is a relief to know that I usually won't have that patient in my area for more than two hours. It's a different story though if I have to transfer a patient who needs admitting to another facility though. In that case I might have the patient for up to nine hours.

~Karen~

I meant options as far as working part time. Some FNP's staff clinics on a "weekend only" basis, and the hours are not late. Some work 1 - 2 days per week (which would really only work if your dh were able to be home odd days). I think having your FNP will give you options for the future, if you ever want/need to work when the kids are older (say, to pay for college?).

In and of itself, nursing is filled with options. I am SO glad numerous people talked me into nursing.

I hear you about the relief when difficult patients don't stay. I used to dread going back to my staff job for the 3rd (or 4th) 12-hr shift in a row, knowing I'd get the same team back.

Hello! I'm an RN, currently working in med-surg, perdiem. I work about 1-2 nights a week. I've worked in NICU and hospice previously. The reason I went from hospice to M/S is because there were more hours and flexibility. But I'm missing the one on one care that I had with NICU and hospice. I'm thinking of applying to the NICU again, or possibly ICU, but after the holidays! Thanks for starting this post... Kinda cool to see other fellow nurses out there homeschooling! :D

Meanest Mom (I'm talking about the OP ya'll ;))

I was asked to join the NIH study by a friend who knew I had labor and delivery experience. It originated from the author of the study. I don't know how else to get one of those gigs. I *do* know that I had to get a federal ID number to work for them, so going through that process might be helpful and open up more options for research projects.

I couldn't take the charts home because of confidentiality, but I set my own hours and even brought my newborn in for a while- we just used a little windowless office to do the work.

I thought the study was fascinating and I can guarantee I came out better at documentation! Sheesh. You wouldn't believe what gleaning information from hundreds of charts could teach you about documentation.

Great to see all the nurses on the board.

Hi all, here's a great resource for free CEU's http://www.medscape.com/home. It's approved in Alabama and online CEU's count as "live" hours here.

To answer Meanest mom in the midwest's question, I met my husband at a block party on New Year's eve. He was in med school then and had long wavy dark hair. He was talking to my sister when I met her after work that night. I didn't believe he was in medical school (he sure didn't look like it), I thought he was just trying to pick me up. :lol:

... I met my husband at a block party on New Year's eve. He was in med school then and had long wavy dark hair. He was talking to my sister when I met her after work that night. I didn't believe he was in medical school (he sure didn't look like it), I thought he was just trying to pick me up. :lol:

Hee, hee. I met my dh when he was a second year med student. We met at church through the singles fellowship. I was not yet in nursing school at the time but was enrolled and about to begin. That was "many moons" ago. :D

Hi all, here's a great resource for free CEU's http://www.medscape.com/home. It's approved in Alabama and online CEU's count as "live" hours here.

To answer Meanest mom in the midwest's question, I met my husband at a block party on New Year's eve. He was in med school then and had long wavy dark hair. He was talking to my sister when I met her after work that night. I didn't believe he was in medical school (he sure didn't look like it), I thought he was just trying to pick me up. :lol:

That's a funny story, Michelle....

For everyone, I created a social group for nurses. I thought it would be nice to see us all in one place. I sent invites to all who have posted in this thread, and hope all us nurses can at least get in there and introduce ourselves. Thanks!

That's a funny story, Michelle....

For everyone, I created a social group for nurses. I thought it would be nice to see us all in one place. I sent invites to all who have posted in this thread, and hope all us nurses can at least get in there and introduce ourselves. Thanks!

Terrific idea! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I've especially benefited from the resources for online CE!!!

Yes, if anyone else has some good resources, please feel free to post them in the s/g.

Oh, for Petey's sake - I can't figure out how to accept the invitation to the SG! Somebody, please, educate me. I'm a member of others but, for some reason, can find no prompt to accept membership to this one.:tongue_smilie: (NEVERMIND - I just found it). :-}

I'm no longer homeschooling full time (after schooling, but she's five, so mostly I call that "parenting") and I don't graduate for another two weeks, but I'm almost there.

I started pre-req's when I was hs'ing full time, and then dh retired, we moved, and I started nursing school full time, year-round. After 18 months, I'm being pinned on Dec. 12! Yay!

No specialty yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it all in one shift and not actually kill people. Still sharply aware that I know almost nothing useful yet. But I'll get there.

I'm no longer homeschooling full time (after schooling, but she's five, so mostly I call that "parenting") and I don't graduate for another two weeks, but I'm almost there.

I started pre-req's when I was hs'ing full time, and then dh retired, we moved, and I started nursing school full time, year-round. After 18 months, I'm being pinned on Dec. 12! Yay!

No specialty yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it all in one shift and not actually kill people. Still sharply aware that I know almost nothing useful yet. But I'll get there.

Pam, I sent you an invite to the Nurses s/g & would love it if you'd join us there. Congrats on finishing the program. My philosophy about nursing school was that school was to teach you how to pass the NCLEX, your first job will teach you how to be a nurse. When I showed up my first day of actual work (I worked as a tech while in school), I thought "Did I even go to nursing school? What the hell am I doing here?" I hope you get good preceptors on your first job, that can make all the difference in the world.