Menu

SAT or ACT (cross posted to high school board)...

Donna

DD chose the ACT because it was content based!:lol:

She has never really been good at group aptitude or IQ tests, and her reasoning skills were not as great at the time, so we decided that she would do better with the straight content. Now that she is in 8th, I know she is ready for that sort of test, so I let her take the PSAT this year. She will still take the ACT for talent search, though.

• 2 months later...

My kids chose the ACT partly because in Tennessee that is what most people take here but also because they preferred being tested in content area. I don't know how it is now but at the time they took it the SAT had a required essay that my kids did not want to have to write. The colleges they applied to did not require the ACT essay that is available but did require the SAT essay.

We used the SAT primarily because in our area, the SAT trumps the ACT a good 5:1. If you mention SAT scores, everyone knows what they are, and what "good" scores are (including school admins if needed). We don't have the same base level of understanding around here for the ACT.

Both are certainly valid tests, but that's what went into our personal decision making.

• 4 weeks later...

My DS took the ACT when he was 10. Then we took a year off of standardized testing. He just took the SAT in January. I agree that the SAT might be easier because it is not as content-based as the ACT. I was worried about the essay portion of the SAT but he scored a 6/6. Once you see the criteria they use to grade the essay it is not as intimidating. :001_smile:

Annika