Menu

Do you guys feel this way too? I feel like every year this thread reveals new wisdom, new lessons, for me. As a mom. Every year I see so much growth, new challenges, new anxieties but also new developments to celebrate. For me it is not just about 8- 9th grade. I learn something new from this thread every single year.

So grateful.

• Like 8

• 8 months later...

Man, oh, man.  Tears streaming down my face reading this.  I've spent all evening reading more about homeschooling high school and feeling overwhelmed.  And so sad.   My daughter is finishing up 7th grade and the high school threads have left me feeling unsure.  Then this thread.  It was just what I needed! 

So I'm going to bump for others, like myself, who are seeing high school coming at them full speed ahead.  

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

2019 bump for Nan's thread!   What a saving grace for me this morning, trying to pull things together over the summer, to rest and recover and thrive and catch up after a Very Difficult Year, heading into eighth for elder DS.  And now, particularly after this year, I'm feeling very good about having him do two years of 7th simply for maturity reasons, and about how much we had to retrench after his grandfather died at the end of his 4th grade year ... my sweet DS stills loves hours and hours of Legos and playing on the hillside.  But he's definitely starting to grow up. 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2008 at 6:39 AM, Nan in Mass said:

.  MODG even has a curriculum for it. I am glad we chose to do that because it made the bio much more applicable and useful and real.

What is MODG?

• 3 months later...

I can't believe this thread is still alive! I popped in on the boards to post in the Book-a-Week thread and discovered that I had notifications for it. Rereading the original felt very strange. I can tell you all, though, now that all three of mine are through university, that I still believe the things I wrote are true. : )

Nan

• Like 17

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 6:39 AM, Nan in Mass said:

No! I am still having trouble even maneuvering around the new boards.

That is an unimaginable number!

Nan

Nan, as a relative newbie here (4th year homeschooling, joined this board in 2015), I would like to thank you profusely for a this thread, as well as a few others that you started before I even knew this place existed. There are very few homeschoolers around me, so I consider you, along with SWB, Quark, and Kinsa, to be my homeschooling mentors. Thank you very, very much!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Nan, as a relative newbie here (4th year homeschooling, joined this board in 2015), I would like to thank you profusely for a this thread, as well as a few others that you started before I even knew this place existed. There are very few homeschoolers around me, so I consider you, along with SWB, Quark, and Kinsa, to be my homeschooling mentors. Thank you very, very much!

2nd. This is one of my all-time favorite threads. So much wisdom here. 

• 1 month later...

@Nan in Mass, I have just finished reading this thread: 

And you expressed concern about the non-traditional trajectory that your youngest DS was on at the time of the thread in 2010. I dont know if you updated on him anywhere else, but I was wondering how it all played out? What would you still encourage homeschool moms to focus on? What all shifted itself out in the end for you? 

I have thoroughly appreciated all of your past wisdom.

He got into five engineering schools, all offered some scholarships, he went to his first choice, and is now working as an engineer. He did some community classes in high school and I suspect that the schools were mostly just interested in his calc and physics scores, for enrollment purposes. His interesting transcript got him the scholarships. College was not all smooth sailing but he made it through and has a very cool job. And I have a lot more grey hair. I would do it again.  : )

Nan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Nan, I am glad to hear an update on your son. Good job to both of you! 😊 

I returned to teaching in the local high school in 2014. I printed Nan’s advice and put it in a file. Every year when I clean out my desk, I come across that paper, read it and re-read it. It is crinkly and worn now, but I treasure it. As a 9th grade teacher with a high-stakes testing subject (English), it was just the advice I needed to console both my students and their parents. I also shared it with my coworkers. Now I teach upperclassmen (History & Government), and I am happy to see that Nan is still right - not just about her own kids and homeschool kids, but this advice is good for public school kids as well. 

My own son decided to try high school, stayed, graduated and did very well and is thriving in college. This is the son who didn’t read until he was 10, who I am certain would have been streamed into special programs and labeled when really he just was just a slow bloomer. Homeschooling didn’t just save him from the frustrations he would’ve experienced; it allowed him to blossom in his particular strengths - which he is now pursuing in college. My husband and I are forever grateful for the blessings of homeschooling.

Edited by loftmama
  • Like 6

• 3 years later...