Menu

Can anyone explain naked DNA for my DD15?

My DD has been interested in virology for years, and knows a fair amount about the topic, but she has been reading a book lately that has her at a bit of a loss. It is a book about developing a vaccine for HIV, and it discusses naked DNA. It does not explain it very completely, however, and after reading the chapter and looking it up on Wikipedia, I still don't understand it well enough to explain it to my DD.

Any biologists or virologists out there who want to take a stab at it? :)

thank you,

Amy

Sorry, I'm not in those fields, but it is an interesting science.

Here is a link http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/002155.html

You might look up info on Jon Wolff, the man that pioneered it.

A quote from the site above:

"In the experiments, the scientists did not use viruses to carry genes inside cells, a path many other groups have taken. Instead, they used “naked” DNA, an approach Wolff has pioneered. Naked DNA poses fewer immune issues because, unlike viruses, it does not contain a protein coat (hence the term “naked”), which means it cannot move freely from cell to cell and integrate into the chromosome. As a result, naked DNA does not cause antibody responses or genetic reactions that can render the procedure harmful."

Here is another link http://www.nature.com/gt/journal/v10/n6/abs/3301983a.html

Google naked DNA - interesting stuff

Good luck! We need more people in the field to find vaccines and cures for so many devastating illnesses! We have unwillingly been thrust into medical land, and it is quite interesting now that we are here.

Edited by dwkilburn1
more info found