Menu

Keen Shoes: Worth the money?

Worth the money?  

1. 1. Worth the money?

• Worth the money.
    • Too expensive.
    • Cute.
    • Ugly.

I'm thinking of getting these Keen shoes with my birthday money.

I don't normally spend this much money on shoes. But I think they are really cute (Do you guys? Be honest.). The price tag has me choking, though.

Will they last? Will they remain comfortable?

Will I regret it? Or will I say "Why did I wait so long to buy me some good shoes?"

Believe it or not, I paid $60 a pop for my oldest two's Keen shoes. *gasp* For children! But I was sick to death of paying $20 for nasty plastic crocs that they wore through in 3 months. And the treads on these shoes are going strong 4 months later. They hardly look used at all. They are indeed worth the money, and they may even last to be passed down to a younger brother.

oh dear. I shouldn't have clicked on that link. Now I'M thinking of getting some Keens with my Christmas money.

I bought Keens for all my boys on ebay last summer. They were all used and looked brand new, so they certainly seem to hold up well.

I think they're super cute.

How much do you walk? I bought these very shoes last January and by July they were worn out. But I walk about 20 miles / week. They were super comfy the first few months. I love them.

My big complaint about Keens, though, is that the sizes are totally inconsistent. I would recommend buying them in a store, not online. I bought size 10s, my usual size, online and they were way too small. (Those were Sydneys.) Then I spotted the Calistogas at an REI store, and they actually had size 1o.5, miracle! Bought them. Wore out. Bought identical shoes online, size 10.5, way way way too big. Aggravating! So that's two pairs I've had to mail back. I will never buy them online again.

However. They are worth the money. Buy them. We can be twins!

They are somewhat similar to my Ecco's:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0,88844_Ecco-X-TREME-Sandals-Mary-Janes-For-Women.html

I have two pairs of these Eccos and adore them. I suspect you'd love the Keens as well. I've gotten my money's worth from my shoes for sure.

Ria

I should have read this first. Eccos are great too. And you can count on their sizes!

They last forever.

They are comfortable. I can wear them when I have booth events where I am standing 8 hours several days in a row.

And, I think they are cute. I have an open back pair in the same color and pattern of the ones you linked to, a plain mary jane in blue, and the original web/strapy sandal.

I say go for it.

Other - I think that they can be worth it if you don't pay full retail price. We bought pairs for the adults (my DH and myself) on our last US trip (last November). His are going strong but mine are coming apart on the fabric. Luckily we got them at REI and I have an email from them saying they'll exchange/refund them.

I'm getting some on Ebay for my boys and picked up a pair for $5.99 at a thriftstore last US trip for my 9yo. She should fit into them now.

I think they're worth the money but definitely NOT full retail. I'd get used. But I don't pay retail for anything.

I would also recommend trying them on in a store (if you haven't already). I can't buy Keens (or Merrills either) because the arch is in the wrong spot. I have high arches, and the Keens have good arch support.....but not where my arches are!

Saves me a lot of money, huh? I think the shoes are very cute, by the way. And they look comfortable. I do like Danskos, but I have to special order the "narrow" size.

Julie

I have the same design in a clog and I LOVE them! They were a gift from my mother last year and I wear them all the time. They are wearing very well and still look great. I have seen some Keen shoes at Marshall's. It may be worth a trip there if you have one near you. Be sure to try on the style you want. My sister has a different pair and I find the arch to be at an uncomfortable spot for me.

Believe it or not, I paid $60 a pop for my oldest two's Keen shoes. *gasp* For children! But I was sick to death of paying $20 for nasty plastic crocs that they wore through in 3 months. And the treads on these shoes are going strong 4 months later. They hardly look used at all. They are indeed worth the money, and they may even last to be passed down to a younger brother.

I second this! All my boys have them and they still look brand new 5 months later! I have washed them multiple times as well. When they come out of the washer i let them air dry and they look brand new again. My boys love them!!

A good pair of shoes is always worth the money.

Once you have the good pair, you can stop looking for a better one, as you do when the ones you got don't quite fit or look right. I spent $160 on a pair last summer, which was very painful and is more than my week's income, but I've worn them virtually every day, regardless of season; they can look casual and dressy depending what I'm wearing. I wouldn't have spent that much if I could have avoided it, but there was not another suitable pair in the whole wretched town, so I kind of had to.

:)

Rosie

Keens are all i'm wearing these days. I'm pondering those same ones for my next splurge.

You can check Zappo's online and read comments on fit. I can attest to different styles run different sizes.

My Keen Bali's i wore 2 years (probably full time 11 months each year), i just replaced them this summer because i'd wore out the support for my foot issues. My Newports are gee, 4+ years old and doing good too!

DD2 has had her Newports since April, worn every.single.day. and they look like new!

We love keens here - i moved to them from Merril'ls. OH, and my MIL is cheap in the shoe department - but she will pay full price for Merrill's and Keen's now.

Here is my experience with Keens:

Great for kids. My son has been wearing the same pair for almost 18 months. They did spoil him for other shoes, though, as he became used to the loose comfortable feel.

Good to note that for the more basic styles the kids prices are about half of adult prices. So I bought the basic sandals in kids size 6 for $50- I wear a woman's 7 and have wide feet.

For the sandals I find that all that rubber with enclosed toe shield makes my feet feel sweaty. I don't know about the other styles. My sandals feel best with socks.

I have plantar fasciitis issues and the Keens do not work for me for long walks- I need to stick to my maximum support New Balance. Keens for me are quick slip ons for casual wear.

They also sell them on Amazon if you are going to go mail order.

I bought a pair of lace up, low rise (?), hiking type Keens three winters ago, and I love them like I've never loved any other pair of shoes. I am always so happy when wintry weather rolls in so that I can go back to wearing my Keens.

I would probably pay full price for them, but I bought mine on sale at a store here that puts everything at half price before they close for the winter every season. NIiiiice!

I think they're adorable, too.

I do agree with the advice to try some on first. Not everyone loves them.

For the sandals I find that all that rubber with enclosed toe shield makes my feet feel sweaty. I don't know about the other styles. My sandals feel best with socks./QUOTE]

I've found this to be the case with mine too. The closed toe shield seems to make things too warm and not enough air gets through, so my feet got very hot.

I think Keen shoes have come along way! They carry them in Eddie Bauer catalogs and I used to think they were really ugly and old looking...now I feel like they are both well made, attractive, and comfy. They are expensive, but I think that the objects that separate your feet from the ground worth it!

I've had my red Keen sandals for a couple-few years. Quite honestly, I think Keens are pretty darn ugly and I resisted getting them for that reason. But my Tevas were feeling less and less comfortable, and I like to have a good, sturdy sandal for our outdoor family activities (canoeing, biking, etc). Keens are definitely sturdy; stylish, they are not. Oh, it's fine here in the Pacific Northwest, where practical, sturdy (and not particularly attractive), outdoor footgear is commonplace. I couldn't bring myself to wear my Keens on the streets of Italy, though.;)

Edited by Colleen

If they are comfortable and you really like them then get it. I have Eccos and I love them. They are so comfortable but the price take really does choke me. $99.00 to $120 for a pair depending on what Ecco it is. I have 3 of them and I love them. So I pay for it and never looked back!!

Holly

Shoes are definitely something about which I believe you get what you pay for. I like Merrells ('though the last pair I bought seemed to stretch out a bit and are now a little too big for me) and I'm wearing some Teva mary janes right now. I like the Tevas--they're light and comfortable. I've had Danskos, and while I really like them, they are a little heavy. I know this says nothing whatsoever about Keens, but this has been my experience with other such brands.

Girl, for the chance to walk the streets of Italy, I believe I'd wear anything at all! :001_smile:

I hear you.:) But should that chance arise, no matter what you (general "you) wear, it'll pale in comparison to the Italians. How do they do it? How do Ferragamo-shod men taking the train in to work in Rome manage to look so cool ~ literally and figuratively speaking ~ on a rilly, rilly hot and disgustingly filthy train? How do Italians forego shorts in 90+ weather and never sweat? How do women walk ancient, uneven roads in fashionable shoes and not twist their ankles? Let's face it. When it comes to Italians and fashion, we Americans just aren't worthy.:D

I voted worth the money, but I want to qualify that. The shoes I bought weren't, but the sandals absolutely were (Newports & one other type I recently tried.) Very much worth the money, and certainly less expensive than Birkenstocks, my other favourites. Plus, the Keen ones I have are waterproof, therefore, I wash them from time to time.

I don't care so much about whether or not they're "cute" as I ruined my feet with stylish shoes way back when.