Menu

Singapore NEM question...

I am doing NEM 2 with my ds right now, and he has done very well with NEM 1 and NEM 2. I am getting very nervous about using NEM 3 with no solutions manual. I have been able to explain everything so far with the help of the solutions manual, but not having that to fall back on scares me to death.

My question is, have any of you successfully used NEM 3 with no solutions manual when math is not your strong suit? If I were to switch after NEM 2, what should I use? Something with solutions/dvd help would be nice, but I still want it to be challenging for him. He will be sad to give up the NEM, he really likes it.

Also, is it confusing to switch to something different after using Singapore?

Thanks,

Trina

Trina, I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit here. You've made it through NEM 1 & 2, even though you say that math is not your strong suit. You've done well in my book. :)

Why not give it a try? You've laid such a good foundation with NEM, why stop now? Jenny on the Singapore forums is always available to help if you get stuck.

Well, we're only in NEM 1, but I have the same concern for our future.

Jenny (on the Singapore Math forums) addresses this in one of the posts over there. She says that many of the problems have solutions online (on the forum) and if you really get stumped on one, you can post and she (or other parents) will help you out. So, you'll never really be completely on your own.

Good luck in deciding what to do.

I was nervous, too, because I relied on them for NEM 1 and 2, but we seem to be doing ok without it for 3. NEM3 introduces some new topics at the basic level, which might be why we're ok. Or maybe it is because my son is older now and can figure it out better on his own. Anyway, I vote you give it a try.

Thanks for the encouragement you guys. I think I will at least give it a try. Between Jenny at singapore math and all of you wonderful ladies on this board, hopefully I can muddle through. If I have any hair left (or at least any that isn't gray) at the end of high school, it will be a miracle!

Trina

I found a Teacher's Manual available for Singapore secondary maths but I will have to order it directly from Singapore. I haven't seen it at all but here is the part of the description that appealed to me was,

"Useful resource for teachers, tutors and parents...this Singapore Math teachers' handbook covers: Common errors made by students and important concepts taught in the new Singapore Elementary Mathematics curriculum..."

http://www.sgbox.com/sthfmiss.html

I found a Teacher's Manual available for Singapore secondary maths but I will have to order it directly from Singapore. I haven't seen it at all but here is the part of the description that appealed to me was,

http://www.sgbox.com/sthfmiss.html

Interesting. I noticed that they are now using New Syllabus Math instead of NEM. I have both texts, and the only reason I am probably going to use NEM is due to the fact that they have a solutions manual for Level's 1 & 2. NSM does not come with solutions manuals.