Menu

HELP! Alternating Motrin and Tylenol

I hope he's doing better by now. You can also wash him down a bit with rubbing alcohol. Most chldren do fine with a temp of 103 but I try hard to get them down. Keep giving him sips of fluids. I pray you all get a little rest. You can give the meds as often as directed. I don't think it matters how close to each other they are. I would try and alternate them every 3 hours.

Ibuprofen (Motrin) every 6 hours. Acetominephen (Tylenol) every 4.

Just saw all the conflicting responses! Doesn't it say on the package how often to give it? Above is what our doctor just told us when ds had strep throat to bring his 104 fever down, and it's what we've always done.

Edited by BabyBre

Three hours is the recommended schedule if you feel you need to treat with both for a high fever (over 104).

The logic for 3 hrs is:

Tylenol is a 4-6 hr dosage. No more than 5 doses in 24 hrs. (Too much is taxing on the liver.)

Motrin is a 6-8 hr dosage.

Taking something every 3 hrs, allows the tylenol and motrin to both be given at 6 hr intervals.

The only time I would be concerned with 103.3 is if the child was seriously complaining of pain or very lethargic. How old is your son? If he is acting fine I would only give at night. Now if hs is an infant or over say 12 then I might worry with that temp more.

Take that for what it is worth. a SAHM who went to college for history. :D

ETA: Just went back and saw his age. Honestly if he isn't complaining or overly lethargic I would give one dose of motrin before bed and not worry. Of course when my kids get a fever 103.3 is really low. They go as high as 105. And with 103.3 they've been known to play just a rambunctiously as normal. I don't know what is normal for your ds.

Edited by newlifemom