Menu

Davidson Young Scholars

EKS

OK, so I always sort of didn't pay much attention to the EG/PG threads because I didn't think they applied to me but now suddenly I find myself *very* interested because my 12 yo son apparently *is* EG/PG.

He was being evaluated (again) because I wanted to get my ducks in a row for SAT accommodations (he has dyslexia and ADHD and needs extra time on tests) so the psychologist did the WISC IV as part of the evaluation. He has taken the WISC twice before and both times scored much lower (the first time his FSIQ had less than three digits).

Apparently things have changed. One thing that has changed is that he is taking medication for his ADHD. Anyway, he now qualifies for the Davidson Young Scholars program. I am still wrapping my mind around this.

So, what can you all tell me about DYS, or any other programs for EG/PG kids? The psychologist (who among other things specializes in gifted kids) is telling me that these programs would be fabulous for my son. I've just never considered these programs and my son in the same thought.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

. . . DYS hasn't been that helpful. But our experience is, of course, unique.

We never got around to having our daughter professionally evaluated/tested. For a while, we figured it wasn't significant, because we were doing just fine homeschooling and planned to continue. Then we hit a point at which outside help would have been nice, but we couldn't afford to pay for testing on our own.

We applied to DYS by portfolio when my daughter was, I think, 9. She was turned down, because they wanted more information, specifically, official test scores. We set it aside and went on with our lives.

When she was 10 or thereabouts, she took the Explore and earned scores that ranked on Davidson's chart. But, at that point, she was thriving academically with what we were doing at home and was finding social opportunities through community theatre. So, I filed the thought and moved on.

Then, when she was 12, she took the SAT and, again, earned DYS-worthy scores. By that time, she was starting to wilt at home and clearly needed more than we could give her. So, I sent the accumulated new information in to Davidson, and this time, she qualified.

It was about the same time, though, that she was admitted to the early entrance program, which simultaenously took her away from home (meaning she wasn't available for any get-togethers), put her in daily contact with other gifted girls and kept her too busy to make much use of any DYS resources.

So, we have periodic conversations with our coordinator. And it's nice to know that I could call on them for help if my daughter's situation changes in the future. But, at this point, DYS is a line on her resume.

That said, I do know people who just love the program and who have benefited greatly from their involvement. There is, for example, an e-mail group of DYS families in my state, and they plan periodic informal meet-ups at museums and similar venues. And I'm sure that must be a great support system for both the kids and their parents.

I'd say you have nothing to lose by applying (other than the time required to complete the application). The people are nice and seem to want to be helpful. And, again, I hear good things from other folks for whom the services have been very valuable. For us, the timing just didn't work out terribly well.

We have found it somewhat helpful with the PS. My son took the WISC IV to help him qualify for the GT program at our ps. His score made him eligible for the Young Scholars. We decided to enroll him. We have found the support from our sponsor counselor helpful. While Ds does great in math his writing and organization skills need work. They were very helpful in providing information and resources for us to use. This is also a free service. Since I have 4 children free is very helpful.

They also wrote to his teacher at school and offered their services to them as well. However, his teacher did not chose to use those resources.

You do need to re-apply every year. However, only the first application is long. At the time I joined the boards were not very active. However, I did read alot of the history and it did help me understand some of the issue my PG son was going threw.

You do need to re-apply every year. However, only the first application is long.

And just to clarify -- it's not really a re-application, just an annual update (they don't drop you if you have a bad test score or anything!)

The most helpful thing I think has been the other parents on the email loops. It's nice to be able to ask for resources without having to explain yourself, and it's nice to not have to reinvent the wheel at every turn.

Mainly I like it because there are so many parents available to contact and their kids are SO DIFFERENT, that from that huge pool of possibilities you can find the one or two that are actually a good match of personality and ability and needs. Not that it means you'll actually do exactly what they do, but that when you find those couple people and bounce your ideas off them, the response is so much "better informed" than you usually get. Just matching by test scores is really only minimally helpful, but having that group to sift through and find a really good match on a variety of factors is a great thing. And of course it's excellent to see, too, that there is such variety. Keeps me from thinking that I know everything. ;)

We've been part of it for years now--the app sat on my desk for 2 years because of the length of it, but I finally sent it. If we sent dd to a regular school, I think we might have more involvement as apparently they are quite good advocates. For homeschoolers, their involvement is less--we just haven't needed them very much. However, if a dc is 2E or has any special needs, or needs financial assistance, DITD might be more involved.

The convention they run each year has been invaluable for dd making friends. There just aren't that many kids in any one neighborhood like her, and most of her friends are now long-distance Davidson kids whom she sees once a year. Not ideal, but better than nothing. It also has a high startle factor for this parent--wait until you talk to one of the 5 or 6 year olds in an elevator. Some parents find it unsettling that their incredibly unique kid turns out to have 800 or so others just like them, other parents are relieved that other kids just as "weird" actually exist. You'll meet kids who have aced APs in 8th grade, kids completing college at 12 or 14--the whole gamut of whiz kids. No matter what your dc is doing, some other kid is there or beyond. Comforting, in an odd sort of way.

The convention often has speakers who are first class in their field. Upon request, DITD arranged a consult for me with one of them, a college coach, which really relieved my mind concerning our high school planning. Worth the 14 page application to DITD, to say the least.

BTW, the bulletin boards are relatively inactive. All the info and discussion happens on the email lists, which are terrific. Plan on going to the convention--it's the most worthwhile thing about DITD, imho.

Danielle

For us, DYS hasn't been as beneficial as I had hoped, but I am glad that we have the resource available when we need it. I am very thankful for the Davidson's (Jan & Bob) and all that they have done for PG kids. We have been able to ask questions about educating and parenting our daughter without having to explain why our 7 yr old loves Algebra and reads for hours on end.... Some of the parent seminars have been helpful and the e-mail lists are great sources of information. I guess that I hoped being in DYS would be some quick fix for understanding and educating my dd...

My dd didn't enjoy the annual convention this year so we don't plan on attending for a year or two. She found the crowds and noise too overwhelming. I don't plan on having my other kids tested for DYS but I'm thinking they would qualify.

Sue in TX

I want to thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

However, it seems that I am back to being someone who has what I thought I had all along, a more run-of-the-mill gifted kid. Apparently, the psychologist made a bit of a mistake when looking at the scoring tables and was using ones for a few years below my son's age.

That makes much more sense.

Apparently, the psychologist made a bit of a mistake when looking at the scoring tables and was using ones for a few years below my son's age.

That's quite a substantial mistake! :blink: I'm glad that the results you have now "fit" better with what you know about him yourself... but wow.