Menu

ugh..DH is being denser than an overcooked meatloaf

SparklyUnicorn

:lol: :lol:

We were just e-mailing and I was talking about how I was happy and sad regarding our older kid being almost done with high school and that meaning I'm nearly done homeschooling him.  And DH said oh but why sad.  So I tried to explain, and he said well maybe I could offer tutoring.  Uh no.  That's not what I meant.  Those of you who have homeschooled since forever know what I mean....  It's not a bad sad...it's just a "things are gonna be different" sad.  A "I've become quite attached to my kid and this life" sad. 

Eh well... it's like we lead different lives when it comes to some stuff.  So I get that part.

• Like 23

My husband didn't get my feelings when we graduated the first three, but he really gets it now that I'm actually going to be done homeschooling forever!

He bought me roses a few days ago when we found that our son was accepted to the college he wanted. He says he is proud of me! Since I am big on words of affirmation/encouragement and he is not (like the 5 Love languages book describes) I am over the moon...even though I am getting quite sad. If that makes sense!

• Like 6

Being a home schooling mom was a huge part of my personal identity for seventeen years. It is still odd that that chapter of my life is over. Even after four years. My youngest went to public school high school, an extremely good one by any standards (people getting D's in her English class are welcome to tutor at UC Davis or Chico State, for instance), but I will always miss being a home school mom. If I go on the General Board I get very sad. 

• Like 2

C'mon ladies, it's hard enough to even begin to understand the female mind, but expecting us to understand what goes on inside the mind of a homeschooling mom is way beyond our abilities! :)

Frankly, that's why I started coming here occasionally way-back-when: to get a glimpse of that world. It's not always pretty! ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

C'mon ladies, it's hard enough to even begin to understand the female mind, but expecting us to understand what goes on inside the mind of a homeschooling mom is way beyond our abilities! :)

Frankly, that's why I started coming here occasionally way-back-when: to get a glimpse of that world. It's not always pretty! ;)

The male mind is no picnic, either!😆

• Like 5

I was talking to my kid about this and I said you get it right?!  He said he gets it.  He said tell Dad it might be similar to how he felt when he left Germany to move here to be with me.

See...my kid is freaking brilliant!!  ***cryyyyy***

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first year as empty-nesters.  I decided that I needed a gap year; a year to just 'be' and decide what I really want to do next.  I have enjoyed the year, although sometimes I'm really bored, lol. 

I've decluttered, rearranged, and organized our home, which feels wonderful!!  I have dinner on the table for dh when he walks through the door - we've made connecting with each other a bigger priority.  We're enjoying this stage of life, but it took some getting used to.  It is a complete mixture of sad, lonely, proud, happy, worry, etc.

• Like 1

My youngest is 5-6 years from graduation and I am already panicking about what is next.  Dh is completely unhelpful because he says things like, "I am sure you will find a job."  "Maybe you can tutor."  "Maybe you can do XYZ with other homeschoolers."  I know he is trying to be kind and let me know that I can do anything and that he believes in me, but it gives me more stress because I feel like I need to be ready to "do" something.  I finally had to say, "When I am freaking out, I need to you tell me that I did/ am doing a great job.  That I deserve to take some time to explore what I want to do next, but there is no hurry."  I am not even sure who I am if I am not homeschooling.  It feels like saying I am suddenly no longer a mom.

I need to focus on getting the last two through, and worrying about what is 6 years in the future is useless, but that has never stopped me before.

Amber in SJ

7 hours ago, clementine said:

This is our first year as empty-nesters.  I decided that I needed a gap year; a year to just 'be' and decide what I really want to do next.  I have enjoyed the year, although sometimes I'm really bored, lol. 

I've decluttered, rearranged, and organized our home, which feels wonderful!!  I have dinner on the table for dh when he walks through the door - we've made connecting with each other a bigger priority.  We're enjoying this stage of life, but it took some getting used to.  It is a complete mixture of sad, lonely, proud, happy, worry, etc.

This is exactly what I've done too! Well, except for the dinner part... actually Dh and I have been making dinners together on occasion! With music on and a glass of wine! 

• Like 1