Menu

how did you decide when to stop Barton?

My mildly dyslexic 12 YO is finishing up Level 6 and I'm debating on how far to go with her.  We could probably finish 7 & 8 by the end of this school year as she can do a lesson a day but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra time.  I rather wish the material in 8 came first because it seems more useful for her particular issues and we could stop there.  She reads fluently and fast overall but still has trouble with unfamiliar multi-syllabic words.  Her spelling is ok, not terrible...she seems to have a decent visual memory for words so she does pick up many of them over time while still randomly misspelling common words she should know.  If you didn't finish Barton, how did you decide where to stop?

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe you did not get a single answer. I'm sorry. It is probably because there was another thread just previous to this post on when to stop that was really long. 

My son had a false start with Level 8. Then we stopped because he was reading regular books. Level 8 is still sitting on my shelf. It isn't calling to me. LOL It is just sitting there and I'm trying to decide what exactly to do about it.  Though my son is reading regular books it is slow and he is still behind where he should be but there are so many aspects or Language Arts he needs to work on so the cost benefit analysis is running through my head. 

Sorry I can't say when to quit because I haven't yet. Maybe that is why so many haven't answered. Maybe most people out there either haven't quit yet or they petered out rather than decide to quit. 

I would do a quick review of the major concepts in 7 and move on to 8.

You can also work through my syllables program or Webster to work on multi-syllable words.  

My syllable division chart with rules may also help:

syllable%20division%20chart1.pdf

And, you could try a quick version of my syllables program instead, the crash course in polysyllables:

A%20Crash%20Course%20in%20Polysyllables.

We ended up continuing through Barton and are halfway through Level 8.  We've also been doing nonsense words for fluency and I printed out some 11th and 12th grade vocabulary word lists to give her more practice with unfamiliar multi-syllabic words.  She's getting better at accurately reading multi-syllabic words though I suspect she will always struggle with them a little more than her probably moderately dyslexic brother who's also in Level 8 though she reads faster and more fluently than he does overall...I guess the years of guessing are hard to fully overcome.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, caedmyn said:

We ended up continuing through Barton and are halfway through Level 8.  We've also been doing nonsense words for fluency and I printed out some 11th and 12th grade vocabulary word lists to give her more practice with unfamiliar multi-syllabic words.  She's getting better at accurately reading multi-syllabic words though I suspect she will always struggle with them a little more than her probably moderately dyslexic brother who's also in Level 8 though she reads faster and more fluently than he does overall...I guess the years of guessing are hard to fully overcome.

I have actually succeeded in stopping guessing with multiple students junior high and high school age, including one 6th grade boy with dyslexia, and I also improved his reading speed while improving his accuracy and stopping his guessing. 

You have to commit to a month or two of no outside reading and daily reading of nonsense words and word lists.  If you spend your last month of school reading her other material to her and continue with nonsense words and word lists for reading, then you can just take a summer off of outside reading and do nonsense words 5 minutes a day most of the summer.  I have lists of hundreds of nonsense words and can send you my excel file of hundreds more, and then you can use them to make multi-syllable nonsense words as well.

For the month of word list work, I would do a week of Greek words, then a week of Latin words, then a few months of Webster's Speller/other multi syllable words.  You could play my Greek and Latin word root bingo and use my Greek and Latin words to get started and then google for more.  My Greek and Latin resources are teacher folder links #2 - 4 on my syllables page:

https://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

25 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

I have actually succeeded in stopping guessing with multiple students junior high and high school age, including one 6th grade boy with dyslexia, and I also improved his reading speed while improving his accuracy and stopping his guessing. 

You have to commit to a month or two of no outside reading and daily reading of nonsense words and word lists.  If you spend your last month of school reading her other material to her and continue with nonsense words and word lists for reading, then you can just take a summer off of outside reading and do nonsense words 5 minutes a day most of the summer.  I have lists of hundreds of nonsense words and can send you my excel file of hundreds more, and then you can use them to make multi-syllable nonsense words as well.

For the month of word list work, I would do a week of Greek words, then a week of Latin words, then a few months of Webster's Speller/other multi syllable words.  You could play my Greek and Latin word root bingo and use my Greek and Latin words to get started and then google for more.  My Greek and Latin resources are teacher folder links #2 - 4 on my syllables page:

https://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I actually did have her stop outside reading for about 2 months when we were going through Barton Level 4 (which includes some nonsense words), and I couldn't tell that it made any difference in how much she guessed.

4 hours ago, caedmyn said:

I actually did have her stop outside reading for about 2 months when we were going through Barton Level 4 (which includes some nonsense words), and I couldn't tell that it made any difference in how much she guessed.

Did she read any sentences?  It has to be a solid month of just word lists with some nonsense words to help, even the sentences will set them back.  Also, one guesser I had, we had to make him sound out every sound of every word for a week straight before he was allowed to even read word lists on his own.  He eventually stopped guessing, too!!  (But he was not dyslexic, he had just had a lot of sight words and other whole language practices in school.  He was a guessing fool, though, he even tried to guess my nonsense words even though he was very good at math and understood the statistical probability of guessing a nonsense word.)