Menu

Introducing Dickens?

TNMOMx2

I don't think it would be too much, but if it wasn't my own kid I'd be inclined to do A Christmas Carol instead.  They already know the story and can focus on the writing style. Then I would add a second book if there was time.

We also did A Christmas Story (56h, 3rd, K, pre-k) this winter with great success.  We listened, watched the Mickey Mouse version, etc.  There were multiple parts of the book where we LOL'd, so I'm glad the kids were not too intimidated by the heavy writing style.  We'll do it again next winter and add in another movie adaptation.  

• Like 2

The first Dickens introduction we did was watching Oliver! - though we also did A Christmas Carol as a read aloud relatively young.

I think this depends on the kids. But Christmas Carol is short and they likely already know the story, so that's a plus. But for 8th graders who are engaged and motivated, I don't think you have to start with that. Most Dickens is pretty readable.

• Like 3

My kids had known some of the stories from a young age, via Charles Dickens and Friends: Five Lively Retellings by Marcia Williams. It was a fun book to introduce the stories and some of the characters. I'm not sure, 'cause it's been a while, but I might even hand it off to an 8th grader just for fun.  I'm not sure when we started reading A Christmas Carol but that was a constant at Christmas for years, then did Oliver, also as a readaloud, in middle school I think.  Bleak House was one of our last family readalouds, when they were in high school.  Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm not actually sure if either of them has gone on to read any Dickens on their own...

If you/your kids like audiobooks, I have enjoyed both Simon Prebble and Simon Vance as narrators (from my library via Overdrive and Hoopla). 

• Like 1

A Christmas Carol is in the 8th grade program for Lightning Lit., and I agree with the program's choice that this Dickens' work is a good fit for that age. It is shorter, and already familiar so students can focus on struggling through/appreciating the lovely and complex Victorian language and dense descriptive writing style of Dickens -- plus learning how to look a little deeper through some beginning literary analysis. (Huge bonus is the ability to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol movie version, which uses chunks of the writing straight from the book — not to mention: muppets!  :laugh: )

Two other Christmas-based works by Dickens that are shorter like A Christmas Carol (48 pages) are The Chimes (51 pages) and Cricket on the Hearth (53 pages) — though Christmas Carol is by far the best of the three.

Dickens also wrote a number of short stories, so you might start by "dipping a toe" into his works that way. The Signalman may be his most famous short story. It's a ghost story, so lots to discuss as to how he builds suspense. The Magic Fishbone is Dickens' original fairytale, written with a lot of humor, and very short. Here are links to other Dickens short stories and novellas.

Oliver Twist (267 pages) is a much longer work (a novel), but a good one as an early Dickens exposure — very distinctive characters, and the storyline is not difficult to follow. Also several good movie versions to help out.

David Copperfield (578 pages) is great -- but llloooonnnngggg, at almost twice the length of Oliver Twist. As long as you leave plenty of time to get through the whole work, and you have students who don't burn out with longer works, this is a good one, with meaty themes — and a great movie version as support. :)

A Tale of Two Cities (227 pages) is one of the shorter (relatively speaking, lol) novels, but probably better for high school in order to already have some familiarity with the historical times/events of the French Revolution, and to mature in reading level -- the first 8-10 chapters were stiff going here, even doing it with high schoolers.

JMO, but Great Expectations (298 pages), while not among the longest, is one of Dickens' saddest and most mature works. It was written late in his life, when his own "expectations" for what he wanted to do in his life had not been met, and he realized would not happen. That is definitely reflected in the tone of the work, the choices of the character, and the ending of the book. Pretty mature stuff for your first Dickens, and you are a middle schooler with your whole life before you... ;)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

On a personal level, I would vote for Oliver Twist or A Tale of Two Cities; I love Dickens, but Great Expectations is not one of my favorites.

Agreeing that for a group I might start with A Christmas Carol -- especially if I wasn't sure of previous exposure to literature. But my dd12 read both OT and AToTC this year, and didn't really struggle with them. She really enjoyed AToTC! (She's been studying and very much into the French Revolution, however.)

Dd made me watch about 60 hours of BBC Dickens in a six week period the year before last. Dickens Saturation Syndrome is a thing.  :zombie:

I'm a bit surprised by the recommendations to start with David Copperfield. Maybe it isn't so intense without the visuals. Dd (who was never much of a crier back then) had tears pouring down her face, but she didn't want to stop.

I love Dickens - nearly every one.  PP was my least favorite.  I think Our Mutual Friend was maybe the most fun read (and there is a decent BBC movie version).  I remember reading ATOTC in high school and not loving it at the time, but I was unaware of the relevant history.  DH was forced to read Great Expectations in 8th grade and detested it so much that hearing "Dickens" makes him nauseas.  I feel the timing is sensitive - you need to gauge your student's interest/readiness.