Menu

S/O: Advice for WTMers during The Great Blackout of 2018

RegGuheert

Declare the WTM down days as a "Screens fast" ( time for a no computers experiment)  in your family... maybe make it part of a pre-Easter, pre-Spring, or pre-whatever, event. It may be the one time when you can model this for your dc.   

Get out in nature.  

Play board games. Read real books.   

• Like 10

I vote that we all eat cupcakes, preferably Quill's Hershey's Chocolate cupcakes.  But we may certainly not take them into school for our children's birthdays.

Ummmm....I've not heard of these Hershey's Chocolate cupcakes before?!?!?!?  What the heck?!?!?!

Must have the recipe before for the boards go down  :toetap05: !!!!  This might help with the site withdrawal I'm about to go through  :001_smile: !

• Like 7

Ummmm....I've not heard of these Hershey's Chocolate cupcakes before?!?!?!? What the heck?!?!?!

Must have the recipe before for the boards go down :toetap05: !!!! This might help with the site withdrawal I'm about to go through :001_smile: !

Quill brought them to a WTM meetup a couple of years ago. They are so, so good. The recipe is on the Hershey's cocoa powder can.
  • Like 6

Yes, your kid getting into college/ into summer program/dressed on their own/did work without moaning too much is awesome! Ypu’re a great homeschooler-go have a chocolate cupcake. And don’t worry-congratulatory cupcakes have no gluten, carbs, fat, or calories :).

• Like 11

I vote that we all eat cupcakes, preferably Quill's Hershey's Chocolate cupcakes.  But we may certainly not take them into school for our children's birthdays.

Oh those cupcakes are yummy!  Why haven't we planned an impromptu meet-up for when the boards are down?  We are slackers

• Like 9

Also: Yes, your kid is probably old enough to do whatever it is alone.

Oh those cupcakes are yummy!  Why haven't we planned an impromptu meet-up for when the boards are down?  We are slackers

If we plan it, it's not really impromptu. But anybody wants to meet up in NYC, I'm game*.

* Unless I get bitten by the Gnats of Social Anxiety, in which case I'm not.

• Like 7

Inconceivable!

I can't believe no one has suggested lots and lots of TEA while we're on our forced hiatus from the boards.

Also, don't take Ambien, do watch The IT Crowd and/or Doc Martin, Shark makes good vacuums if you don't want to spring for a Dyson, and consider getting a Movie Pass. 

But definitely have TEA!!!!

• Like 12

If you think you are not doing enough school you are probably not doing enough school. Focus on getting back to the basics regularly.

If you think you are doing too much school you probably are doing too much school. Cut out 1-2 of your supplements for each subject and get back to just doing the basics regularly.

There is no perfect curriculum that will solve all your homeschool problems. There are no completely self teaching, independent, high quality, free, and rigorous classes or curriculum that we can recommend for you so that you can homeschool without homeschooling. Especially in elementary school.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 19

Yes I will pray for you. I know you won't be able to give me specifics while the forum is down. But God knows what you need so I am going to set a little time aside at night for the next week while the forum is down and pray for all of you who need it this week. If anyone wants to join me we can cover all our WTM friends in prayer this week. Good thoughts are always needed and appreciated too, for those so inclined.

So if you are sad or hurting or scared or even anticipating something great, you will know that even though you can't reach out right then to tell us, we will be reaching out to you and sending our thoughts and prayers your way.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 29

Also

If you want to send your kids to school they will probably be fine.

If you want to pull your kids out you probably should.

For housework help see flylady or motivated mums. Also your children should probably do more chores. Also your spouse unless they work 60 plus hours a week and never sleep.

If you think your kids may have learning difficulties get evaluations.

If you have brain fog try vitamin b and get your thyroid checked.

• Like 11

Sorry I don't know how to link on my iPad, but it's on hersheys.com . They say it's the number one recipe on their site. I believe Quill uses their Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting recipe which is on the same page.

Quill's been to Paris now.  She's probably too sophisticated to make anything as gauche as a treat based on Hershey's products.  No doubt she'll bring some sort of mini-souffles to the next meetup! :lol: :lol:

ETA: Quill, might I suggest something from this collection of mini-souffle recipes?

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 15

Yes! You got it!

Sorry I don't know how to link on my iPad, but it's on hersheys.com . They say it's the number one recipe on their site. I believe Quill uses their Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting recipe which is on the same page.

Yes, it's certainly a winner. I don't think I have used another chocolate cake recipe since my ds discovered that one about 20 years ago. If you add nuts to the icing, it's even more amazing. (If you like nuts or aren't allergic to them.)

Oh, and you should try to find the diet that works for you, because our bodies do not all respond the same to the same diets. (Hint: it probably does not include the aforementioned cake or cupcakes.)

• Like 6

If you have brain fog try vitamin b and get your thyroid checked.

If you get your thyroid checked, make sure you ask for Free T3 and Free T4 (in addition to TSH level). Also, while you’re waiting for results, it wouldn’t hurt to read Stop the Thyroid Madness.

• Like 9

Garga had the excellent idea of dispensing critical advice during The Great Blackout of 2018:

I thought it would be good to formalize this idea to make sure all bases are covered! :D

Everyone should print out this thread just before the blackout so that we will all know what to do during this terrible event!

Here are a couple of free pieces of advice from Reg:

- Yes, I would DEFINITELY eat that!

- My kids do the same awful thing your child just did.

- You should have steak and potatoes for dinner tonight.

- And definitely DO NOT USE AN APOSTROPHE TO PLURALIZE!! Kittens WILL die!!

Does anyone else want to give out some essential "blackout advice"?

:lol: that's hilarious !!

I am thankful I have the cutest new baby girl to keep me happy and busy while the boards are down! Perfect timing!

• Like 7

This is so funny. I'm off of work from one of my paid gigs next week, so my first thought when I read the announcement was NOOOO!

I'll survive. I really will. You all can give me telepathic advice on job hunting and unpacking from our move so I can focus on that.

• Like 6

We are quickly approaching the deadline: probably only have about 18 hours left, if that...

Here's an important one (which, again, is credited to Garga ;) ):

- If you do have a meetup during the blackout, be sure to meet in the back of a large, dimly-lit room just in case any creepy internet man-trolls show up. That way all the nice, not-the-least-bit-creepy internet ladies can slip out the back if/when the man-trolls show up!

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 8

Hey! You just ended up on an even number of posts! You should see if you can get 200 more before the blackout. Then you can start new at 15000! 

SWB said she was going to transfer *everything*, but I wonder if that really includes the post counts.  If not, there will be a mad scramble next week to get to 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, etc.

Just something else for everyone to fret about for the next few days...

• Like 2

Inconceivable!

I can't believe no one has suggested lots and lots of TEA while we're on our forced hiatus from the boards.

Also, don't take Ambien, do watch The IT Crowd and/or Doc Martin, Shark makes good vacuums if you don't want to spring for a Dyson, and consider getting a Movie Pass. 

But definitely have TEA!!!!

But if you do take Ambien, make sure you post while on it, because we all could use the laughs!

(Who was that, anyway? Anyone remember?  :lol: )

• Like 5

Okay, but whose going to add house hunting advice?

I need some for next week - during the Great Blackout!

:seeya:  I'll do it!

- Get the BIG one.  It may be a bit of a stretch, but you already have four children and are likely to have several more if you are like many of us here.

- Make sure to meet the neighbors BEFORE you purchase.  Neighbors can be a real blessing or they can ruin everything!

- Good luck!

• Like 6

When buying a house, prioritize the kitchen and the back yard. Kids can spend forever outside (and even sleep there depending on your climate)!

No need for a homeschool room; everyone will still lie about the couch, their bed, or their floor to do their Latin.

Edited by blondeviolin
  • Like 9