Menu

TAN books Story of Civilization (and more) 40% off

ktgrok

Story of Civilization and Story of the Bible are both included in the 40% off sale at TAN books right now (through Friday). We LOVE the audio versions - really well dramatized, sound effects, etc. The timeline for Ancient World is on our wall and really neat too in that it color codes the various civilizations. (these are from a Catholic perspective. Use code : STBEN18

https://www.tanbooks.com/phillip-campbell-.html

Edited to Add: Don't be scared off by the prices on the page I linked...those prices are for if you get ALL the materials. Click on any of them to see the individual item prices. HIGHLY recommend the audio - the CDs are nicely packaged but the MP3 version is not expensive at all, especially with the discount. I just bought the MP3 for Medieval and for the New Testament. (Early Modern is expected in the fall I believe). 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

How does this series hold up for older kids? Next year we will finish SOTW, and I just can't imagine handing an 11yo SOTW 1 because it's definitely written for younger children. I've been looking at Catholic Textbook Project for the next cycle, but am not entirely sold on it.

How does this series hold up for older kids? Next year we will finish SOTW, and I just can't imagine handing an 11yo SOTW 1 because it's definitely written for younger children. I've been looking at Catholic Textbook Project for the next cycle, but am not entirely sold on it.

Actually, although obviously it is young for him, my 18 year old says it is interesting and enjoys listening to it in the car! You can get tests for it that are for older elementary, and there are video lectures for older kids as well, to supplement it. Basically, the idea is you use the book or audio for all ages, then use the activity book for younger elementary or the tests and videos for older kids. 

That said, I do like Catholic Textbook Project too, but found the workbook to be a bit juvenile for the ages it was made for (things like crossword puzzles and such). But it is definitely on my short list for later. Our other option is, oddly enough, Notgrass. It is NOT Catholic but darned if it isn't the easiest thing in the world to implement and use. And my son had good retention with it. And it has those lovely supplement books full of original source material. Sigh. Good thing I have several years before I need to decide!

And of course, we are thinking of going with Memoria Press next year, and just using SOC in the car as additional history (we are in the car a lot). It's THAT good, that I bought it to listen to even if we don't use it full time. 

Edited by ktgrok

Thanks for spelling out the supplemental materials. That was helpful. I'm a bit torn - CTP does not follow the WTM model! :scared:  However, I like the idea of having one year dedicated to American history. The downside to CTP and SOC is that they don't seem to spend much time on history on parts of the world outside of Western Civilization. Sigh. I suppose there is no such thing as a perfect curriculum...

Thanks for spelling out the supplemental materials. That was helpful. I'm a bit torn - CTP does not follow the WTM model! :scared: However, I like the idea of having one year dedicated to American history. The downside to CTP and SOC is that they don't seem to spend much time on history on parts of the world outside of Western Civilization. Sigh. I suppose there is no such thing as a perfect curriculum...

CSTP offers free downloadable supplements for Africa, China, Japan, and Latin America. Look under California standards on this page: https://www.catholictextbookproject.com/teachers/sample-supplements/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...