Menu

Splurges that don’t seem as wasteful as before.

Murphy101

A friend dragged me to a mani/pedi night back in December. I didn’t like the pedi but I got my nails dipped. I go back every 2-3 weeks for a redo because I’m loving it. Never thought I would or that they’d last. I now I have beautiful long nails 24/7 and though I wouldn’t let my kids starve to do it - I might forgo a lot to make it happen.

Same goes for that It bye bye under eye that made my husband say, “what did you do? It took 10 years off your eyes!â€

My knitting/crochet. It’s cheaper than therapy or prison. Seriously.

Coffee dates with friends. Even if it means driving 4 states away.

A good parish community.

What have you decided isn’t necessary but by golly it’s more necessary to making life easier to live with than you thought in your younger years?

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 17

My dd's dance classes and recital expenses. They are too high and not really worth it on paper. But, the studio is convenient, the owners friendly and organized, the times are not disruptive to our schedule, no weekends except recital, the teachers are kind and encouraging and there is no drama or stress relating to it at all.

It is too expensive but so much more convenient and low stress than the sports my boys played. There was so much travel and weather discomfort (and sometimes dangerous weather we were forced into) and it took over our lives. And drama. Lots of drama.

Every time I start feeling guilty about paying for dance I remind myself what a great activity it is and how valuable it is to me because it is so easy and positive.

But seriously, I would never have dreamed I would be paying for all these costumes. So wasteful and so uncharacteristic of how we normally handle money.

• Like 6

Tell me more about bye bye under eye, please?

Good espresso. Every day. It makes my heart happy. A cappuccino a day keeps the grumpy mommy away.

Good wine, sometimes. Ditto the happy heart.

Hot baths with my favorite body scrub (Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus or super fruit). Almost daily.

Taking the time every day to work out.

• Like 6

I spent the day in San Francisco as a tourist.   At the start of the day, I sneered at the people riding in those those bike-taxi things, they were outrageously expensive.   At the end of the day, I thought my feet would fall off.   I decided that they were a total bargain and when he took me to next to the driver's side of my car I gave him extra.  I wasn't even parked that far away, the art school parking ramp.  

• Like 7

Rosie, my newly acquired robotic vacuum.  I love love love love love her.  Hands-down the best splurge money I ever spent, ever.    So much easier than duct-taping all my children to the wall for an hour. So much cheaper than therapy. And even if she breaks in 6 months, she will have been cheaper than the high-schooler I was contemplating hiring to clean my floors each week instead. 

• Like 9

But seriously, I would never have dreamed I would be paying for all these costumes. So wasteful and so uncharacteristic of how we normally handle money.

If the costumes start to pile up too much, see if any local dance shops collect for Traveling Tutus, or just ship them directly yourself:  https://www.travelingtutus.org/

Also, It Bye Bye Under Eye is available on Amazon, as well as the usual other places like Sephora and Ulta.

• Like 3

Mine is a housekeeper.  I hire someone to come once/month or so (for maybe 8 months out of the year, anyway) and she goes through the entire house each time.  It's a splurge I'm actually still not quite comfortable with, but boy, I sure love it!

• Like 5

Good espresso. Every day. It makes my heart happy. A cappuccino a day keeps the grumpy mommy away.

This.

And

Tea

High quality spices.

I have socks that cost more per pair than I care to admit but not dealing with raynaud's in my feet is worth it.

Shoes that fit my feet. This has become harder and harder with the gel insoles and shoe technology etc that make almost all brands of sneakers impossible for me to wear without extreme pain. Actually, I think this is more a splurge for my husband so he does not have to listen to my rantings about shoe manufactures.

Sheets from this website: https://www.bedgear.com/shop/performance-sheets-and-blankets.html

Massage and chiropractic care to manage my physical pain for an injury I sustained while moving. If I ever move again I will splurge on professional movers.

• Like 4

Houseplants and landscaping--digging in the dirt is therapeutic, and the results are pretty. Our new home has more windows in good places, so I may be living in a tropical jungle soon! 

Good chiropractic.

Good shoes.

Music lessons (private and group) for the kids. Multiple instruments and choir. We are fortunate to have reasonable options and flexible teachers/programs, or it might be more stress than fun.

• Like 2

Good coffee.

A good massage.  (Haven't had one in 1.5 years though ... time to get it done!)

Service people - maids, lawn, snow plow, the occasional fixit guy.  I technically "can" do all of it, but I can't squeeze more time out of the day.  Sleep rocks!

A good hybrid car.

Storage solutions / space savers.

• Like 1

Well, a bit uncool, but my CC classes. It hurts to pay for them a bit and I feel guilty as all get up sometimes for doing them while my husband slaves away, but dab nabbit it makes me feel alive. So I ignore the negative thoughts.

I don’t think that’s at all uncool! I’m envious!

• Like 2

My horses and my dogs. They cost $$$$, but keep me sane, lol.

We’ve had a small menagerie for many years. But the critters are getting old and dying off. And I’m not replacing them. I adore them but it’s hard to manage them and grown children. Who knew? But it’s hard to care for the critters and be on the go with and/or for the grown kids. We have gone from 7-10 pets down to 4 and the older kitty’s days are numbered. But I think they were all absolutely worth it. I can’t imagine a childhood without pets for my kids. Eta: well. I can imagine it. I just don’t wanna.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 5

My dd's dance classes and recital expenses. They are too high and not really worth it on paper. But, the studio is convenient, the owners friendly and organized, the times are not disruptive to our schedule, no weekends except recital, the teachers are kind and encouraging and there is no drama or stress relating to it at all.

It is too expensive but so much more convenient and low stress than the sports my boys played. There was so much travel and weather discomfort (and sometimes dangerous weather we were forced into) and it took over our lives. And drama. Lots of drama.

Every time I start feeling guilty about paying for dance I remind myself what a great activity it is and how valuable it is to me because it is so easy and positive.

A few years ago, all my kids were doing ice skating. It was wonderful. All in one place. Not much for me to do but cheer and knit or hit the ice with them. Low stress. Indoors. I miss it and if we ever have the funds again, I’m going to do it again for them.

Cream, concealer, both? I'm hopeless when it comes to this kind of stuff!

Me, too! Someone help those of us who are clueless out with some very specific directions. Please?

I actually have their concealer and haven’t tried it. It arrived in an Ipsy bag a while back. Time to dig it out? I usually don’t wear much make up, but if it’s that magical...

Edited by Spryte

Getting my hair done about every 6-8 weeks. It improves my mood because I really like my style and color now.

Popcorn every day. That actually saves money in the long run as it provides an easy snack for the teenage caterpillars.

I feel about cold cereal and instant oatmeal the way you do about popcorn. For about 15 years I made hot breakfast of eggs and toast and such every morning. And I don’t remember what happened to change that, but yeah. Not going back anytime soon. They feed themselves and I have a pot of coffee without being bothered in the morning. Totally worth it.

• Like 6

I play Pokemon Go! I drive to places that have raids and meet approximately the same crowd and it is a fun outlet for me. I started learning to play a musical instrument and take weekly lessons. And I splurged a lot on cookware in the last few years because I like to cook a lot and it is a pleasure to have good tools.

• Like 5

Real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Costco, Trader Joes, wine, coffee, Athleta clothing (after years of wearing hand me downs)...I don't bother with organic foods, but I must have real fruits and vegetables.  I cannot compromise on that at all.

We moved a few years back to be in an area that was closer to family, friends, church, and more ethnically diverse.  Nothing was really wrong with our old town, but I felt like I was shriveling away.  My dh took a hit with his commute, but our quality of life improved noticeably.  

• Like 2

Tell me more about bye bye under eye, please?

Good wine, sometimes. Ditto the happy heart.

Hot baths with my favorite body scrub (Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus or super fruit). Almost daily.

Taking the time every day to work out.

This stuff.

https://www.ulta.com/bye-bye-under-eye-anti-aging-concealer?productId=xlsImpprod5770259&sku=2264071&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=pla-127619179470&CAAGID=23551040550&CAWELAID=330000200000027672&catargetid=330000200000353414&cadevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrdq4_Or72QIVT4J-Ch29mQ76EAQYAiABEgIOUvD_BwE

Not sure I linked correctly. It only takes an itty bitty amount. Suddenly I don’t have sunken shadows under my eyes for the first time ever. And the fine crow lines go bye bye too.

They just came out with a full face base like it and I’m eager to try it too!

And my son works at Starbucks. Brings home a bag of espresso beans every week. I always knew he was my favorite. (JK!!! Sorta.)

And yeah. I don’t drink much alcohol. But once a month or so, it’s nice to enjoy a glass of wine with the weekend dinners.

• Like 2

I went to a lingerie store and bought 3 nice bras that fit great. I have never splurged on bras because I'm small and always bought whatever cheap one fit best. But then I got my well-endowed dd nice bras (no choice, couldn't find any that fit in a department store) and every time I did laundry I was so jealous of her nice Natoris. I now have a different style Natori for me. I'm slowly replacing the underwear with nicer stuff too.

High quality shoes that don't promote plantar fasciitis. My shoe purchases tend to run about $125, but it's worth it for pain-free feet (Birkenstocks, Teva and Born boots, good running shoes).

I save money by having no interest in coffee or alcohol (don't like either).

• Like 1

Out to the movies every Tuesday night with a friend.

Grabbing a burger and mozza sticks out when I go grocery shopping alone.

I want to do that maybe 1 x a month. The cheapest is Wednesdays at the warren theatre bc it’s only $5 for any movie any time that day. But alas, I’m not giving up knit night for it. In the summer I go in the morning with one or two kids a week.

Mine is a housekeeper. I hire someone to come once/month or so (for maybe 8 months out of the year, anyway) and she goes through the entire house each time. It's a splurge I'm actually still not quite comfortable with, but boy, I sure love it!

I’d totally hire someone to detail clean the kitchen and bathrooms weekly if I could afford it! I have a friend who gets mad at her husband for hiring maid service when she is busy and I’m just, damn save battle energy for something that doesn’t clean for you. lol

• Like 5

It’s not just the money, but also the time... regularly detailing my minivan. Full vacuum, fancy cleaning products and tools, tending to little scratches...

I have a pretty snazzy vehicle, as far as minivans go, and I spend a good amount of time in it. Doing so when it’s shiny and fresh makes me feel good.

• Like 3

Cream, concealer, both? I'm hopeless when it comes to this kind of stuff!

It’s a cream concealer. An itty bitty teeny weeny dot is enough to do both eyes and some blemishes. Applied with a brush under regular makeup.

I’m hopeless too! Go in somewhere like Sephora or Ulta and try a tester. I got some as a sample and tried it. Really good stuff. Even in the summer. I hate that waxy melting face feeling and It doesn’t feel that way to me. It takes very little to do the job. Brushes are worth buying to properly apply. I use even less with the brushes than with applying directly with my fingers and it’s more even.

• Like 1

Taking the toll roads. I spend way too much on it and keep saying I am going to cut back, but I just can’t. I just spent $1 to get my ds to swim in 7 minutes instead of 15.

Between a son in Georgia and a son on the other side of the state (actually in Cali this week) and friend/family we travel more than we’d like. (what’s friends who are family called?? Framy?Famends? It’s not right that we have a word for enemy ‘friends’ but not friends that are better than family.) We keep a loaded pikepass for tolls on all the cars. Totally worth it for 20-30 more minutes with people we care about and less opportunity for confession time due to cussing at other drivers in traffic.

• Like 2

Houseplants and landscaping--digging in the dirt is therapeutic, and the results are pretty. Our new home has more windows in good places, so I may be living in a tropical jungle soon!

Good chiropractic.

Good shoes.

Music lessons (private and group) for the kids. Multiple instruments and choir. We are fortunate to have reasonable options and flexible teachers/programs, or it might be more stress than fun.

The first three, I share. There’s something relaxing about staring out my bedroom window to see hummingbirds enjoying flowers I planted. My house is often “trashed†but the entire neighborhood of children all know they better damn well not step into my flower beds. And since I’ve recruited nearly all of them to do something in it at some point or another, they view it as theirs too and feel the same way. LOL

Good Chiro and shoes is the only reason I can walk, sit or sleep without pain today. That’s no small value to me.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 8

Real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Costco, Trader Joes, wine, coffee, Athleta clothing (after years of wearing hand me downs)...I don't bother with organic foods, but I must have real fruits and vegetables. I cannot compromise on that at all.

We moved a few years back to be in an area that was closer to family, friends, church, and more ethnically diverse. Nothing was really wrong with our old town, but I felt like I was shriveling away. My dh took a hit with his commute, but our quality of life improved noticeably.

The little food place at costoco is awesome and you can’t eat anywhere else for that price. I like their frozen coffee and the hot turkey provolone sandwich is delish. I just ate there for a quick lunch with two kids today. All 3 of us for under $10. Edited by Murphy101

Good chiropractic.

Good shoes.

Chiro & good shoes! Forgot those two absolute essentials.

And one day I hope to have a garden again.

• Like 1

$100 a year for beach body on demand. No excuses to not work out. Who doesn't have to e for t25. I've lost 30lbs last year be cause it was so convenient to work out. I hate to waste time so driving to and from a gym is a no go for me.

I splurge on good face serums. People at work are surprised I have kids in there 20's.

Love lunch with friends with out planning for it.

Another makeup one for me. Better Than Sex waterproof mascara. I now have lashes you can see and it doesn’t make my eyes water and if I accidentally sleep or bawl or swim with it on - it stays on just like when I put it on.

I swear my teen years would have been a bit more endurable with these quality makeup options.

• Like 2

$100 a year for beach body on demand. No excuses to not work out. Who doesn't have to e for t25. I've lost 30lbs last year be cause it was so convenient to work out. I hate to waste time so driving to and from a gym is a no go for me.

I splurge on good face serums. People at work are surprised I have kids in there 20's.

Lynn -- Can you share the serums you like?

Alley

• Like 2

Oh. I forgot about my Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Yep. Right in the living room first thing in the morning. No excuses. No muss no fuss.

And I can’t say enough how grateful I am for friends that when we look at our schedules and realize the only no kids time to reconnect is 6am on a Saturday - then that’s when we show up at Panera the next day.

• Like 2

Well, my splurges are necessarily small due to budget constraints.

Real cream from a local dairy to go in my coffee.

Time for coffee or lunch with a friend every couple of weeks.

I love chiro, acupuncture, and massage, but have gotten out of the habit of going due to financial constraints. Sigh. I am a happier person when I go. 

A beach vacation every couple of years. Oh, how I love to walk on the beach. Something in me unwinds at the sight and sound of the ocean. 

• Like 2

Oh. I forgot about my Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Yep. Right in the living room first thing in the morning. No excuses. No muss no fuss.

I forgot that video even exists--I need to find a way to work that into my routine again now that the chiropractic and good shoes are working.  ;)

• Like 1

Clinique sculptwear

Thanks Lynn! There are several different items under Clinque Sculptware -- is this the one you use?

Clinique Unisex Sculptwear Lift and Contour Serum for Face and Neck, All Skin Types, 1 ounce.

Also, I was wondering how you use it? Only at night after you've washed your face or is it a morning thing too?

Thanks!!

Alley

• Like 2

Health club membership. It's on the near horizon. I'm feeling the need to start working out in a more supervised environment. I'm not elderly or super out of shape, but I'd like to be able to keep exercising without having to worry about falling off the treadmill at home alone and laying on the floor for hours.

Plus, I like the group class atmosphere. And the sauna.