Menu

in such a food rut

SparklyUnicorn

Me too but more along the lines of being tired of thinking about it. I'm vegan but my dh and ds are not and I'm tired of trying to find family friendly meals. Most of the time I'm tempted to just cook food for them and just skip eating for me. The problem though is that I get hungry. Stupid bodily system.  :lol:

• Like 3

I know..that's not a "real" problem, but dang...I so don't feel like cooking these days.

I never stop feeling like eating though... :lol:

I've got the opposite problem! I want to cook all the things, but I don't want to actually eat it because my body hates food.

Tomorrow night I'm making chili. I love the smell of it, the idea of it, the sides and toppings to go with it... but I am sure as hell not eating it or I'll be laying on the ground (but elevated by pillows, of course) in agony for the next two days.

• Like 2

Ugh! Me too! Even our usual standbys feel meh right now.

Thankfully the whole family feels this way so I don't feel too bad about not cooking anything interesting. But, the whole family feels this way so they are of no help and dinner has to happen anyway.

I feel guilty having this "problem".

• Like 1

Ugh! Me too! Even our usual standbys feel meh right now.

Thankfully the whole family feels this way so I don't feel too bad about not cooking anything interesting. But, the whole family feels this way so they are of no help and dinner has to happen anyway.

I feel guilty having this "problem".

I feel guilty too. 

• Like 1

I'm in a rut too, but for different reasons.  I can eat pretty much anything.  It's the picky people around me who are making my cooking life a living hell.  The vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables, the dedicated carnivore who needs everything spiced to incendiary levels...  my husband is OK but he has a fair number of hated foods so that's limiting.  

I get a lot of cooking magazines (freebies that I got through recyclebank) and I love looking at the recipes till I see that there is some element that no one but me will eat...  I do fantasize about a life in which I cook to please myself alone. But then I wonder how much fun that would be... so I dunno.

This site has been pretty inspiring for me lately:  Damn Delicious food blog.   We had her Easy Thai Chicken tonight.  For the vegetarian, I set aside some sauce and simmered some browned tofu in it. She liked it.  Maybe this will help someone out.  I'm not sure about you, Sparkly, sorry.  Lots of spice.

• Like 3

I'm in a rut too, but for different reasons.  I can eat pretty much anything.  It's the picky people around me who are making my cooking life a living hell.  The vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables, the dedicated carnivore who needs everything spiced to incendiary levels...  my husband is OK but he has a fair number of hated foods so that's limiting.  

I get a lot of cooking magazines (freebies that I got through recyclebank) and I love looking at the recipes till I see that there is some element that no one but me will eat...  I do fantasize about a life in which I cook to please myself alone. But then I wonder how much fun that would be... so I dunno.

This site has been pretty inspiring for me lately:  Damn Delicious food blog.   We had her Easy Thai Chicken tonight.  For the vegetarian, I set aside some sauce and simmered some browned tofu in it. She liked it.  Maybe this will help someone out.  I'm not sure about you, Sparkly, sorry.  Lots of spice.

I love Damn Delicious.  If I could only eat one meal the rest of my life, it would be the Cauliflower Chowder.

• Like 2

I am in the same boat. Trying to cook vegan or vegetarian for myself and trying to still please everyone else. I am tired of being responsible for all the food. Tired of planning for it, tired of shopping for it, tired of cooking it and very, very tired of cleaning up after it. I feel very guilty also with my first world mom problems. Sometimes I think my whole life revolves around food.

I wish I could go to one of those long term fasting clinics and drink broth and water for a couple of months and let everyone fend for themselves. Maybe one that emphasises silence and mediation. Silence and no cooking sounds lovely.

• Like 3

I don't know what to label myself, but I'm a "picky" eater.  I have a very limited palate.  It's frustrating to see all sorts of recipes for food, yet know that if I tried to eat them, my stomach would heave.  It's not like I can control it.  :(

My oldest son is like me, but even more limited.  

Meal times are unhappy times around here.

• Like 1

hope you all feel better soon

Thanks. DS13 managed to gulp down half a bowl of Trader Joe’s clam chowder for afternoon tea. DS13 and I tend to suffer from hay fever and cherry blossoms are blooming here. My husband on the other hand might be having the flu because he rarely suffers from hay fever. He stayed home on sick leave last Thursday and Friday, then used annual leave yesterday and went back office today. His office pantry is well stocked for flu season by whoever manages the office pantries in that building :)

• Like 1

I'm in a rut too, but for different reasons. I can eat pretty much anything. It's the picky people around me who are making my cooking life a living hell. The vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables, the dedicated carnivore who needs everything spiced to incendiary levels... my husband is OK but he has a fair number of hated foods so that's limiting.

I get a lot of cooking magazines (freebies that I got through recyclebank) and I love looking at the recipes till I see that there is some element that no one but me will eat... I do fantasize about a life in which I cook to please myself alone. But then I wonder how much fun that would be... so I dunno.

This site has been pretty inspiring for me lately: Damn Delicious food blog. We had her Easy Thai Chicken tonight. For the vegetarian, I set aside some sauce and simmered some browned tofu in it. She liked it. Maybe this will help someone out. I'm not sure about you, Sparkly, sorry. Lots of spice.

This is my life. I loved cooking for DH and I - neither are picky at all. My kids ate everything when they were younger - people commented on it. Now - picky, picky, picky. I blame all the people who made a big deal of their wide open palates as youngsters. :lol:

Well at least I managed something. Kind of an odd mix of stuff, but it was food anyway. Roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower, leftover tossed salad, sausages from a German pork store (yes it's called a pork store!)

I made pancakes. 🙄

(At least I added oats, chia seeds and blueberries, so they were filling).

• Like 1

I've been enjoying cooking lately myself BUT my afternoon utterly sucked.

So, my planned meal of fish tacos got threw out the window and I went and bought the kids corndogs and icecream.

I bought dh and I some steaks.

I ended up eating a steak, baked potato, and strawberries.

It was delicious.

I made a kale salad too but decided I wasn't in the mood (I've been eating a ton of kale lately).

The family told me after the fact that nobody wants fish tacos. Sigh.

I guess I'm just going to make it all separate and people can eat it how they want.

• Like 1

I don't know what to label myself, but I'm a "picky" eater.  I have a very limited palate.  It's frustrating to see all sorts of recipes for food, yet know that if I tried to eat them, my stomach would heave.  It's not like I can control it.  :(

My oldest son is like me, but even more limited.  

Meal times are unhappy times around here.

So, I know this is a real thing, that there are foods that make a person sick.  I don't think of that as picky. I think of picky as just being unwilling to eat something because it's not a favorite.  

I don't like meatloaf, but I make it sometimes, because other people like it.  I'll eat it; it doesn't make me sick; I just don't like it. So that's part of why I don't consider myself picky. (Though I also do like a wide variety of foods and like trying new things.)

So I don't know, what looks to me like my family being picky may be some other issue that the food makes them sick.  I've never experienced that myself so I don't know how to tell the difference.  I do know that as a kid I ate some food that I thought was nasty (canned "chow mein" comes to mind) because that's what we had.  My mother didn't actually force us to eat food we didn't like, and would mercifully fix something else for the kids when she and dad had liver and onions, but other than that we pretty much had to eat what she made because that's what there was; there just weren't a lot of options. I've given my kids more options and sometimes I wonder if that fed (haha) into their pickiness.  

Just musing here. I am not calling anyone out for being picky for not eating foods that make them sick.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1