Menu

Cross Post: advice on managing/supporting inflexible child in group setting

Porridge

Hello,

I'm planning to have my 2 kids work with 2 of their friends next year in a series of Creative Writing / Digital Storytelling sessions. I want to foster collaboration and group creativity.  Three of the kids are pretty easy going, flexible. The 4th child (one of my own) sometimes has trouble being flexible and open to other peoples' idea.  This child can get very set on their own ideas and want to run with them, unwilling to compromise once they have a certain plan. Attempts to encourage flexibility may be met with tears, anger, or "I quit."  This child has improved a lot over the years, but I'd love any wisdom you have to offer so I can provide the best possible experience for all the children.

Do you have any advice on how to:

--structure / scaffold the sessions to promote collaboration?

--use specific kinds of language to help redirect the 4th child and encourage flexible thinking?

Thank you, Hive!

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, HeighHo said:

Set up for success by explaining this is a group project, and giving rules for how collaboration is to be accomplished and how disagreements are to be resolved.  All should know they are free to do their own individual work on the side if they want to take an idea that didn't work out for the group.  Flexible thinking is encouraged by having a brainstorming session at the idea formulation and choosing segments as well as planning and producing. The whole 'how to work in a group' must be learned...someone must be moderator, no one can dominate, etc.  Rational rules for choosing need to happen...no popularity contests, no bullying, no ageism or sexism.  

I direct a child who thinks he 'lost' to take a break so he can get himself back together and rejoin the group.  If there is an aide, they will talk if the child wants to, and remind them that they have the option to do their idea on their own.  I'll include that in the products at the end.  As part of summer reading at the library, I'll get app one younger student out of 25 who will do so.  The real key for the groups I am getting is to stop the bullying and encourage rational collaborating. If you have to, have them take turns contributing and don't allow a vote. It's not easy, but eventually they get it.

Appreciate the input! I'm filing this away to chew on as I think through how to structure things come autumn.

I'm the OP, btw... it made me change my username when I logged in to the new system. Bleh.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:13 PM, HeighHo said:

I too had to change my un, even though the email was the same.  Post count, like count, and image were all gone. Oh, well, we'll trek on.

Off topic, but I emailed the admin and they were somehow able to unlock my old account. So I have my old username again, with the old post count. (However, I still can't easily access my prior posts - it shows me having only made 1 post). Anyway, you might try emailing the admin. 

Check out the SocialThinking.com website.  There are tons of free articles, maybe you can get some ideas.  I have seen these products used in small groups and whole public school classrooms.  It might be more than you need, but it really breaks these (and many other) social skills down.

• Like 1